CTF-Nubzgame

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
nubzman
Novice

CTF-Nubzgame

Post by nubzman »

Hello everybody I've been since making a CTF map called Nubzgame. I've only started making it yesterday and I wanted some input from some professionals. Heres a plan of it.

Thanks.
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Re: CTF-Nubzgame

Post by Carbon »

Well, not much to see yet really, but keep posting on any progress!
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

You can redo the path nodes. :idea: :wink:

Welcome! :mrgreen:
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
heliumcat
Skilled

Post by heliumcat »

I'm not a professional, but imo it should be at least 3x larger than it is now, but that's personal taste I guess.

Other than that it looks decent, especially texture-wise, although its architecture seems to be quite basic for what we are used to these days.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Put glass long but not high windows in those walls so you can track the players, make it more difficult.

Use movers with a translucent two sided surface for the windows, and don't make them move, and one grid unit away from touching the walls around the frame.

You have to use movers so people can still see through the window while online, the other choice is to use a sheet with a long row of blockall actors with a small collision radius per window.
Binary Space Partitioning
nubzman
Novice

Post by nubzman »

Well how do I do that, I am not a professional mapper sir or m'am.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

I've seen 2 CTF4 maps that use a similar setup, which are fun and intense so I'm not critiquing yours, but such easy access to either base hints to a quick game.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

nubzman wrote:Hello everybody I've been since making a CTF map called Nubzgame. I've only started making it yesterday and I wanted some input from some professionals. Heres a plan of it.

Thanks.
Maybe you could put the red and blue bases signs before you arrive to the blue or red base, so it is more difficult for players to get lost.
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
Metalfist
Masterful
Personal rank: ^,..,^ rawr

Post by Metalfist »

If this is just a plan then there should not be any pathnodes at this point, that comes later when the bsp in the map is finished.

Also there is just a lot to learn about level design + ctf as I see these are just some basic cubes.
Add some interesting tactical choices for the player (risk-reward areas, vurnerable - strong positions, long&safe route - short&risky). Try out other maps and see what is fun to do on that map, analyze them and learn from them. Like for example how sound gives the position of the player away (think of water splashes, pickups etc.) Add z-axis action to it; it's all flat right now, pretty boring and doesn't add anything to the core gameplay. Just work on the layout and ideas first. Sketch them and write down possible scenarios. Why would this map be fun to play? Ask yourself these questions. Right now it just seems like you put some cubes in there and call it a map.

Just check these tutorials on this site to help you on your way:
http://www.birrabrothers.com/drac/index.php?dsps=142