The Terrain Mapping Contest

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Re: The Terrain Mapping Contest

Post by editor Dave »

papercoffee wrote:Count outer space with an asteroid-field based on meshes as terrain?
I have an idea for a space-battle DOM map (old idea) where you have to use ...at least the Quantum-Jets.
Are bots capable to use them (Alt-fire)? Or even more important can they navigate them with pathnodes in the air (empty space) ...I never had tried something like this.
As long as you feel like you are outside, I wouldn't mind how the feeling is achieved, but if Gecko says no, it seems to be not allowed :lol:
As for the Quantum-Jets: The bots would probably just float for a while and then again fall down since they are scripted to alternate primary and secondary fire. However, maybe a kind coder modifies that weapon so bots use it more effectively, but I doubt it will be easy to do as bots are not really trained to fly (maybe it works if one sets their movement in air as it is in water...).
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

I''m no mapper, but I enjoy these contests. I hope we get a good turnout for this and remember: you are continuing the 15-year UT legacy, mappers!

No pressure of course. :)
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Any screenshots?

@Gecko ...the asteroid meshes would be made out of brushes ...but at the end can't you walk on them because you are forced to use spacecrafts to leave the bases/battle-ships ...outside will be no gravity.
Still not counting as terrain... Even so I'll make the meshes all myself?
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Meshes will be a pain to walk on/in because of the use of cylinder collision (Papercoffee, what you want to do will easily work in Unreal 227.... Damn !), however you can use multiple blocking brushes

The terrain brushbuilder makes lumpy-bumpy, shaped brushes but they are not as flexible. I doubt you could make a terrain ball.

I think we can forgive people if they do not use the terrain brushbuilders, as long as the outdoor areas are not flat.
However you choose to make lumpy-bumpy surfaces is up to you.
Renegade
Adept
Personal rank: Vigilante

Post by Renegade »

Dr.Flay wrote: I think we can forgive people if they do not use the terrain brushbuilders, as long as the outdoor areas are not flat.
This is what makes this contest difficult for me. I've never bothered with terrain because I've always assumed that creating good terrain requires knowledge of an external 3D modelling program, all of which appear to have steep learning curves.

I've been practicing this method of building terrain, which calls for the manipulation of stacked tessellated cubes:
http://i.imgur.com/SULnvio.jpg

But this method seems to be ideal for small cave creation. I'm just going to have to scale down some of my ideas.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Dr.Flay wrote:Meshes will be a pain to walk on/in because of the use of cylinder collision (Papercoffee, what you want to do will easily work in Unreal 227.... Damn !), however you can use multiple blocking brushes

The terrain brushbuilder makes lumpy-bumpy, shaped brushes but they are not as flexible. I doubt you could make a terrain ball.

I think we can forgive people if they do not use the terrain brushbuilders, as long as the outdoor areas are not flat.
However you choose to make lumpy-bumpy surfaces is up to you.
You misunderstood ...I meant you really can't walk on them ...I'll try to force the player to start as a vehicle (Q-Jet or other) ...I have to look which one is not that big from file size.
If you exit the spacecraft you will float in zero gravity (and would be an easy target)
This is all in planning stage ...the layout exists as rough concept.

If this whole map is bogus, I go back to plan B and make a better and bigger Northern Lights 2.
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Here is my entry:
https://mega.nz/#!Qd5DST6R!lbsMrFIRoTk5 ... Mti_iNZ0vk
Hope you boys like it. It is my first contest entry here in UT99 and I never did a single contest.
Probably should have fixed something though... the lift going down sometimes leaves the player in the rail! LOL
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Gustavo6046 wrote:Here is my entry:
https://mega.nz/#!Qd5DST6R!lbsMrFIRoTk5 ... Mti_iNZ0vk
Hope you boys like it. It is my first contest entry here in UT99 and I never did a single contest.
Probably should have fixed something though... the lift going down sometimes leaves the player in the rail! LOL
Screenshots!!!
I don't download things without a preview :wink:
UTX
Skilled

Re: The Terrain Mapping Contest.

Post by UTX »

I agree, screenshots are a must in this kind of thread.

Thanks for letting us know it's not working correctly so I don't bother downloading it. You do realize this is a contest, right? If you know there are issues with your map, fix them before releasing it.
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Wait, I fucking forgot to put the map screenshot in practice menu! DON'T DOWNLOAD IT!!!
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
UTX
Skilled

Post by UTX »

You got more to fix than just a screenshot.
Last edited by UTX on Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Ok here it is fixed in the atachment.
DOM-TmC-Snow.zip
(223.88 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
Screenshot:
@UTX, I don't know what else should I fix!
EDIT: Unfortunately I don't have the time to compose the music myself in Anvil Studio, it's almost midnight here in Brazil! (Anvil Studio exports MIDI anyways) My latest music on SoundCloud, "Overload in Death", is the best composition I made! And UT music is way more complex than Doom-ish music! I used a stock UT music instead, sorry. It's probably that...
EDIT 2: Oh, it's when I put a rogue bad word in that. Sorry

Weapon of Destruction
UTX
Skilled

Post by UTX »

Gustavo6046 wrote:Probably should have fixed something though... the lift going down sometimes leaves the player in the rail! LOL
That's what I'm talking about, you do know there are issues in your map, why won't you fix them before you release said map? I would understand if someone else pointed it out and you didn't know, but you do.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

If anyone has a problem they cannot fix, please ask for help.
It worked very well during the last competition as everyone got to learn more.

Music Tip: OpenModPlug Tracker will load MIDI files, and you can save them as tracker files 8)
If you do not already use MIDI software, it is advisable to download a better (bigger) general MIDI set for better quality samples.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

@papercoffee: well you got me interested, let us know how it works out, ok?

@Gustavo6046: Sorry to say but your map feels rushed and not well thought out. The layout doesn't work for DOM (heck it barely works for CTF), you can get stuck in the middle mountain, the snow drains my framerate like mad (considering that Swankys map never got below 50fps for me) and it also isn't done very good... at least a grid pattern of the snow sheets would've at least gave a better illusion of it snowing. You still have over a month to do so use that time to remake this map into something playable. I guess I can only say that at least you put somewhat functional bot-support this time (or was that the auto-path-build again?).

Making a decent map takes more than just a day or too, that's why the duration is 6 weeks and not 6 days... :)