The Terrain Mapping Contest

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Whitey
Average
Personal rank: Bunny Tracker

Re: The Terrain Mapping Contest

Post by Whitey »

papercoffee wrote: the batch will be used maybe just by me..
It's apart of my map....Assuming i don't run into any problems before the 15th (which i usually do when ever trying to make terrain maps.
Favourite-Weapons: Sniper & Shock Rifle
Favourite-Drink: coffee
Favourite-Games: UT-GOTY & VietCong
Favourite-Map: DM-Deck16][
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Yeah, terrain is probably the toughest challenge, and if we had been thinking forward we should have removed it as an option.
Perhaps we can call this collection "The Lands That Time Forgot" map-pack
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

Bad timing, very hard map type, short time-period with several added delays for confusion... I had bad feelings about this as soon as terrain was chosen for the constraint. Next time, along with other guidelines, I'd suggest a launch date in the beginning of autumn or the end of summer.
You must construct additional pylons.
memsys
Adept
Personal rank: Silicon Lifeform

Post by memsys »

Hellkeeper wrote:Bad timing, very hard map type, short time-period with several added delays for confusion... I had bad feelings about this as soon as terrain was chosen for the constraint. Next time, along with other guidelines, I'd suggest a launch date in the beginning of autumn or the end of summer.
^ This! So much this.
I don't blame anyone (shit happens) but the next contest better not be this much of a disaster.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

memsys wrote:
Hellkeeper wrote:Bad timing, very hard map type, short time-period with several added delays for confusion... I had bad feelings about this as soon as terrain was chosen for the constraint. Next time, along with other guidelines, I'd suggest a launch date in the beginning of autumn or the end of summer.
^ This! So much this.
I don't blame anyone (shit happens) but the next contest better not be this much of a disaster.
Really sorry about this, looks like I failed on organising this contest. You're right about this completely. It took a lot of time just to get the theme going and by the time we finalised the rules it was late November. :wth:
Damnit, everytime I try to be helpful I often f*** it up somehow. :?

PS: KingJosh sent me his final build of his submission with the batch (added link to the 1st post). Thanks again, KJ! :thuup:
Hellkeeper
Inhuman

Post by Hellkeeper »

UnrealGecko wrote:Really sorry about this, looks like I failed on organising this contest. You're right about this completely. It took a lot of time just to get the theme going and by the time we finalised the rules it was late November. :wth:
It's literally nobody's fault. Honestly, I think the biggest problem is the theme, not the time. At least that's why I did not participate, even though I launched the idea of a new contest this year. But wasn't the theme chosen by vote? Then I'd say you have no hand in the problem.
The 2014 contest was nice because its rule made it so that maps would be small and simple, and this meant that maps would be quick to build, so a short time was not a problem and anyone could participate.
This year's theme demands great efforts and a lot of time, so the original limit was too short and many people didn't even try to attend.
We'll do something better next time, don't worry, this is not the end of the world, there are still plenty of map to be made!
Spectra
Masterful
Personal rank: Nullified!

Post by Spectra »

papercoffee wrote:the batch will be used maybe just by me..
Even, I am using it too, hoping for no errors.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Sorry ...I was a little bit grump yesterday.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

papercoffee wrote:Sorry ...I was a little bit grump yesterday.
You just need a hug!
Spoiler
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

EvilGrins wrote:
papercoffee wrote:Sorry ...I was a little bit grump yesterday.
You just need a hug!
Spoiler
:loool:
memsys
Adept
Personal rank: Silicon Lifeform

Post by memsys »

UnrealGecko wrote:Really sorry about this, looks like I failed on organising this contest. You're right about this completely. It took a lot of time just to get the theme going and by the time we finalised the rules it was late November. :wth:
I don't think anyone blames you for the contest being a mess (I certainly don't). Sometimes things just go kinda wrong time after time trough no fault of your own. When shit hits the fan there is not much you can do other then try to clean it up as best as you can. In this case there it not really anything you can do to fix it.
On the bright side, it's a great learning experience! Next time you organize a contest you know what do avoid just knowing that will make things run a LOT smoother.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

"I don't think anyone blames you for the contest" ahem, and your map was..... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Terrain is even messy in ut2004 and Unreal2 with all the tools. I think the way to do it is use lightmaps or some external program for UT99. at least with that you can add or subtract from a known layout.

I made a maze map that filled the complete grid for ut2004 using terrain, I got a picture of a maze, like the ones you do in puzzle books. I still have that maybe. but I had to add vehicals and things, edit the edges, was HUGE !!

The only terrain map I ever made was my DM-3pole2k4
http://www.mapraider.com/maps/unreal-to ... M-3Pole2k4

That was a lightmap I imported and edited the terrain, still a bit funky looking
Binary Space Partitioning
Hellkeeper
Inhuman

Post by Hellkeeper »

I only read your post diagonally, but I think you mean "heightmap", not "lightmap".
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

me thinks...

Code: Select all

How did they find my age?
some a bit offtopic text
Erm... caham, I learnt C++ and I found out it's pretty similiar to UnrealScript. I would like to know how to export models animated in Blender to UT99 without losing the animation frames... because I can't find how to animate them!
Anyway, despite the lack of maps, at least we had some good maps, right? (except for mine, of course...)
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Hellkeeper wrote:I only read your post diagonally, but I think you mean "heightmap", not "lightmap".

ah, yes, that's it. :tu:
Binary Space Partitioning