The Terrain Mapping Contest

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Re: The Terrain Mapping Contest

Post by Gustavo6046 »

And that's why terrain is not a good theme for a contest. ;)
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
memsys
Adept
Personal rank: Silicon Lifeform

Post by memsys »

Red_Fist wrote:"I don't think anyone blames you for the contest" ahem, and your map was..... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
And that is supposed to mean what exactly?
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

memsys wrote:
Red_Fist wrote:"I don't think anyone blames you for the contest" ahem, and your map was..... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
(a joke) Exactly ? your rant earlier, I feel your pain, well at least you tried.
Last edited by Red_Fist on Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Binary Space Partitioning
Tyr
Skilled

Post by Tyr »

I gave it a try to participate to this contest but i fucking hate terrains in ued. It's okay in 2k4 and so on but it's hard to create good looking terrains with the given tools and limitations. After the 6th crash because of vertex editing on tesselated cubes i had no motivation anymore. :D
Released:
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Next contest: LEGO maps!
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
memsys
Adept
Personal rank: Silicon Lifeform

Post by memsys »

Red_Fist wrote:
memsys wrote:
(a joke) Exactly ? your rant earlier, I feel your pain, well at least you tried.
Thought i'd poke you back :wink:

Sometimes cool ideas can't be done (well) in this rather old engine it sucks but oh well.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

EvilGrins wrote:Next contest: LEGO maps!
You know, that is a good plan, send out the texture packs and things, prepare so we all have them.

Legos are selling, so your idea is not far fetched at all. I remember playing that David M map way back, but a contest to make Lego's look good, and might not be a bad idea.. hmm.
We need SP maps now, I hope, LegoSP
Binary Space Partitioning
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

I really don't see a contest with SP going.
Lego theme is also a weird: you're forcing the theme (which means pretty much all maps will look alike) and it's a theme which screams "CUBES".
You must construct additional pylons.
Tyr
Skilled

Post by Tyr »

idk much about the contests in the past, but i would like to see a "build a ut2k4 map in 99" or something like spacemaps contest without ground like hyper blast or phobos.
Released:
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Red_Fist wrote:You know, that is a good plan, send out the texture packs and things, prepare so we all have them.
Just go from the source · http://tinyurl.com/zbuoegk
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Ok ...little help needed!!

I imported in MyLevel one of Creavions mega huge textures just a stone wall texture ...and it was the wrong one :| ...the right texture is there too now, but when ever I try to delete the other texture out of the MyLevel pack (hit rebuild the whole map) I can't save the map ...UEd crashes.
This texture was used only on one polygon and afterwards replaced with the right one. It's not used in my map any more.

Soooo, I do remember there is a trick to get rid of MyLevel textures... but I can't remember how.
Renegade
Adept
Personal rank: Vigilante

Post by Renegade »

Hellkeeper wrote:I really don't see a contest with SP going.
Lego theme is also a weird: you're forcing the theme (which means pretty much all maps will look alike) and it's a theme which screams "CUBES".
EvilGrins wrote:
Red_Fist wrote:You know, that is a good plan, send out the texture packs and things, prepare so we all have them.
Just go from the source · http://tinyurl.com/zbuoegk
Hellkeeper, if you look at the 3 maps Evil linked to, you can see that, while they all use Lego textures, they're very different visually. A forced texture set encourages creativity rather than stifles it. It's a challenge to create something new and different using a limited range of textures. There will be cubes, yes, but that also puts forward another challenge: How can I use a bunch of cubes to create something that's still varied and visually pleasing?

The theme is forced, but it allows for a cohesive map-pack where maps will have a thread of similarity, but still be markedly different (again, look at the maps that were linked). It's always interesting to see how different mappers take on the same theme.

I'm all for Lego :) Terrain is a menace.
papercoffee wrote: This texture was used only on one polygon and afterwards replaced with the right one. It's not used in my map any more.

Soooo, I do remember there is a trick to get rid of MyLevel textures... but I can't remember how.
texture cull. Just type texture cull in the cmd bar to get rid of textures that are on unseen surfaces that are no longer being used on visible surfaces.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Didn't work...
Clipboard01.png
Clipboard01.png (8.7 KiB) Viewed 2900 times
Edit---------------------------------------
Ok it worked suddenly ... :???:
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

Renegade wrote:I'm all for Lego :) Terrain is a menace.
Still not convinced by the Lego theme. I'd prefer something along the lines of Tyr's suggestion. More freedom, more diversity.
You must construct additional pylons.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Tyr wrote:idk much about the contests in the past, but i would like to see a "build a ut2k4 map in 99" or something like spacemaps contest without ground like hyper blast or phobos.
^This
Hellkeeper wrote:
Still not convinced by the Lego theme. I'd prefer something along the lines of Tyr's suggestion. More freedom, more diversity.
and ^This

@Tyr
We had "remake/mix default maps and add X-mas theme" and "48 hours speed mapping" and the "512kb limit" contests ...all of them were fun and produced some good new maps.
This time it was a bigger bite than all could swallow... but the contest is not over. SHOW SOME MAPS!! :D
I can show some progress today at evening. I took a them I like and can make. (all my other maps exploded or got too big for me to finish :? )

Edit--------------------------------------
Some screens of the pre alpha
CTF-TmC-TheTrench
Attachments
SOME IMPRESSIONS
SOME IMPRESSIONS
ANOTHER VIEW
ANOTHER VIEW
TO THE FLAG!!
TO THE FLAG!!