The Terrain Mapping Contest

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Re: The Terrain Mapping Contest

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Updated 1st post by adding links to Gustavos and Swankys submissions. :wink:
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Renegade wrote:Here's another Terrain generator:
http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/index.php?p=8
How do I export it to unrealed? I think I remember using it once, but it was too long ago, and the only thing else I remember about it is that it didn't export correctly to UnrealEd.
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Gustavo6046 wrote:
Renegade wrote:Here's another Terrain generator:
http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/index.php?p=8
How do I export it to unrealed? I think I remember using it once, but it was too long ago, and the only thing else I remember about it is that it didn't export correctly to UnrealEd.
Nice tool indeed ...but it seems to be more suitable for the quake engine and its editors.
The t3d file was not importable ...UEd closed with a "protection fault" regardless the size of the terrain. And importing t3d files into the Terrain Generator is not possible.
memsys
Adept
Personal rank: Silicon Lifeform

Post by memsys »

papercoffee wrote: Nice tool indeed ...but it seems to be more suitable for the quake engine and its editors.
The t3d file was not importable ...UEd closed with a "protection fault" regardless the size of the terrain. And importing t3d files into the Terrain Generator is not possible.
Paper, try Brush -> import instead.

I have been quietly following this thread and I kinda want to join in but I suck at terrain and I am not sure if my wrist can handle the stress of vertex editing.
So far all the external tools have been kinda meh and ued does not like all of them when they go beyond a certain number of surfaces.
There is one month left in the contest (who thought 1,5 month was enough for a terrain based mapping contest but maybe it's just me :ironic:) and I am not sure if I can make the map that I have mentally pictured in that time.

On another note, does anyone know where I can get a good palm tree deco?
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Well if Creavions work is already being featured, why not use the palm trees in FacePalm or Feel NaPali ?
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

Dr.Flay wrote:Well if Creavions work is already being featured, why not use the palm trees in FacePalm or Feel NaPali ?
i'm using stuff from FacePalm, Feel NaPali and Kamah ...

Also note guys (and gals) that you can make terrain a number of ways, as long as it works...

For example, the terrain brush, stacked tesselated intesected subtracted cube block method (as shown in alexanders tutorial)
but not invented by him - guys like bot40, gui, hourances, taught us "older" mappers how to do that method.
In fact all the terrain alignment work i did in SWANKY's map involved rotating each terrain brush in two axis to perform floor align on prepared surfaces.
I took me a goddamn week just to align all that rock. Amazingly all the brush manipulation caused no HOMs in that map, although i think
there were a few collision errors. When that "bot40" method of brush alignment is used you can't transform permanently any terrain brush
or you lose the work. Vertical wall alignment was never used for the rock walls, so you must be careful not to disturb alignments because
you'll never get it aligned again (unless you rotate again, heh)...

Any how, memsys just make a simple terrain with a nice castle or something - doesn't have to be complex. Complex terrain in UT99 is bad.
Those generators are usually bad. You have to pull verts one way or another (there's no escape ha ha ha).

Just for fun, go download the map "CTF-B3-Island of the skull devils" from medors, etc, and load it into ued - ya see!? Pretty much "throwing
paint on the wall" to create a random island terrain - Blito3 of course. It builds properly and actually works pretty well in game. The trick is
really in the brush ordering etc, UEngine doesn't give a shit about cuts and crap up to a point - it can be the most forgiving software on earth
sometimes, and allows all sorts of bad mapping practices to work - hell, who needs the grid, lol :P

Cheers
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

FraGnBraG wrote:it can be the most forgiving software on earth
sometimes, and allows all sorts of bad mapping practices to work - hell, who needs the grid, lol :P
You forgot about:
  • Rotating brushes;
  • Scaling brushes without applying "Transform Permanently" or off-grid;
  • Having brushes collide with the borders of a big subtractive brush (which caused the HOMs and disappearing items in very old versions of AS-TmC-Snow).
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
memsys
Adept

Post by memsys »

FraGnBraG wrote:-snip-

Any how, memsys just make a simple terrain with a nice castle or something - doesn't have to be complex. Complex terrain in UT99 is bad.
Those generators are usually bad. You have to pull verts one way or another (there's no escape ha ha ha).

Just for fun, go download the map "CTF-B3-Island of the skull devils" from medors, etc, and load it into ued - ya see!? Pretty much "throwing
paint on the wall" to create a random island terrain - Blito3 of course. It builds properly and actually works pretty well in game. The trick is
really in the brush ordering etc, UEngine doesn't give a shit about cuts and crap up to a point - it can be the most forgiving software on earth

Cheers
Heh, Once I get a good idea I really, REALLY want to turn that into a map! I was s̶t̶u̶p̶i̶d̶ brave enough to make MeinKraft for the 512K contest last year and join the 48hour contest the year before that knowing I am slow as balls when it comes to mapping.

So it looks like I either like to push my skills to the next level when I get the chance or I like to make myself suffer :ironic: .

And thanks for the pointers to maps and resources guys it's much appreciated !
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

memsys wrote:Paper, try Brush -> import instead.
:ironic: It worked...

But now I have just a sheet.
And it was maybe a little bit tooo big...I got this after rotating around and checking all the vertices.
Clipboard01.png
Clipboard01.png (6.64 KiB) Viewed 3380 times
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

papercoffee wrote:I got this after rotating around and checking all the vertices.
Clipboard01.png
It didn't crash for me. :P

Weapon of Destruction
memsys
Adept

Post by memsys »

papercoffee wrote:
memsys wrote:Paper, try Brush -> import instead.
:ironic: It worked...

But now I have just a sheet.
And it was maybe a little bit tooo big...I got this after rotating around and checking all the vertices.
Clipboard01.png
Hehe, yeah I bet it's too big and that ued does not like the brush that that generator makes.
You can actually add it into the level and you get working terrain.
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

I made a test using Nem's generator here.
There is also a Dropbox mirror of AS-TmC-Snow here. For when MEGA is faulty.

Weapon of Destruction
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

Both links are broken.
You must construct additional pylons.
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Dropbox is in maintenance, just that...

Weapon of Destruction
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Meh... screw this terrain generators!!! I'll build this map with tessellated cubes now ...much faster than some bogus tool which can't be used without knowing al the quirks it has. :evil:
And for the texture-align thing I'll try the trick Creavion showed to me. UEd1 and the latest patch ...Basta!