The Terrain Mapping Contest

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
UTX
Skilled

Re: The Terrain Mapping Contest

Post by UTX »

Nuh uh! Simple does not equal bad, a map could be simple yet good.
memsys
Adept
Personal rank: Silicon Lifeform

Post by memsys »

UTX wrote:Nuh uh! Simple does not equal bad, a map could be simple yet good.
Good, bad and simple are relative and flexible (in the sense that they can be applied to several aspects) terms.

When I say simple I mean not challenging for me to make.
Digital domination has a simple aesthetic and looks like it's simple to make (it's not) the challenge here was to make a balanced asymmetrical CTF/DOM map with a "fresh" aesthetic without the bsp tree exploding on me.
Carpathian Nightmare is in many ways a simple but good map the challenge here was to cram the entire thing into 512kb.

IF I where to make a terrain based map and I would go for the easiest solution not only will it look like shit compared to what it could be I am also not challenging myself by making good terrain. If I am not challenging myself then to me there is no real point.
Making an "ok" map feels pointless to me even if in the grand scope of ut maps my "ok" are better then the plenty of lesser quality maps out there.
Because I seek a new challenge my maps tend to be vastly different from each other. For example, I made DM-512k-isotope42 to learn a ton of tricks to keep the filesize low and to make a map with the stock ut feel. I made DM-512k-CarpNight to make a smaller but good looking map with my new found knowledge. CTF-512k-MeinKraft was my (rather insane) attempt to see how far I could go with 512kb of space while making a large 16 player CTF map.

As you can see I don't do simple in the sense of easy to make.
Why? Besides the fact that I am a perfectionist it is because I want to get better at mapping because I don't view myself as a good mapper merely competent one compared to some other the others here.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

UnrealGecko wrote:
papercoffee wrote:Count outer space with an asteroid-field based on meshes as terrain?
I have an idea for a space-battle DOM map (old idea) where you have to use ...at least the Quantum-Jets.
Are bots capable to use them (Alt-fire)? Or even more important can they navigate them with pathnodes in the air (empty space) ...I never had tried something like this.
What Evilgrins said... They do slightly better with Strangeloves, where they at lest fire the things....
Yes and no. Qjets aren't, by any stretch of the imagination, fast. While they can shoot, they still travel about the speed of a standard redeemer. Back when I hosted LAN games I had a number of opportunities to try aerial battles with Quantum Jets on maps I had with a lot of sky. It's a little tricky due to the added fact the Qjet's artillery slightly uses a rocket lock similar to the rocket launcher. Basically your best bet is whoever shoots first wins...
...but I digress.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

Crap, only 5 days left... dammit!

and I'm no where near done :o/
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
UTX
Skilled

Post by UTX »

Perhaps we should consider an extension to the deadline.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

FraGnBraG wrote:Crap, only 5 days left... dammit!
Have you considered stopping sleep and naps and any sort of break?
If you work non-stop between now and then, you can finish it.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

FraGnBraG wrote:Crap, only 5 days left... dammit!

:| ...I'm probably out of the contest (again) ...I couldn't even start something useful. Time is a bitch.
memsys
Adept

Post by memsys »

with only 5 days I am out as well, I have gotten sick in the last few days and my map imploded in on itself so I have nothing.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Seeing as there isn't a lot of time to complete the maps (at first I thought 6 weeks would be enough for everyone, but now I see that there should be a bit more time) and because I still have no idea what to do with the batch rule, I was thinking of extending the deadline by an extra 2 weeks. No penalties would go if you would upload after the current deadline but before this one.

Is everyone alright with that? :tu:
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

It would make sense, as many are just generally too bogged down by the Holiday Season to do anything else.
memsys
Adept

Post by memsys »

UnrealGecko wrote:Seeing as there isn't a lot of time to complete the maps (at first I thought 6 weeks would be enough for everyone, but now I see that there should be a bit more time) and because I still have no idea what to do with the batch rule, I was thinking of extending the deadline by an extra 2 weeks. No penalties would go if you would upload after the current deadline but before this one.

Is everyone alright with that? :tu:
No offense but 2 more weeks is not going to do a whole lot when both xmass and newyears are in those 2 weeks due to social obligations.
Don't forget that making terrain takes a LOT more time compared to a non terrain based map. Seeing as there are only 2 maps right now and that people are saying that they are either far from done or have nothing after almost 6 weeks should tell you something. Hell even the last contest gave is 2 months for a much easier challenge!

You underestimated the time required for this contest, that's ok everyone makes mistakes sometimes (they are good to learn from so mistakes can be a good thing!).
Honestly if you want this contest to produce maps I think it would be a good idea to extend the contest to feb1 utc 0:00 giving us another 6 weeks.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

The most important thing here is that everyone is learning new tricks and helping other to learn.
We need to extend for a reasonable period, so post how long you think your projects "should" take and we can agree on something.
UTX
Skilled

Post by UTX »

I wouldn't know what to say, honestly, as I have never tried to do a terrain based map before and I won't be able to try it out until Christmas which is when I may be getting my computer back. As I said, I may not be able to participate at all so I would rather not say when this should be done, I leave it to the current participants.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Dr.Flay wrote:The most important thing here is that everyone is learning new tricks and helping other to learn.
We need to extend for a reasonable period, so post how long you think your projects "should" take and we can agree on something.
This... let me know how much more time do you need. :)

For now I set the deadline to January 10th...
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

januar 10th... maybe possible.
I'll work on my map again after the X-mass days.