The Terrain Mapping Contest

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Swanky
Adept
Personal rank: Brush Commander

Re: The Terrain Mapping Contest

Post by Swanky »

CTF-ProjectX2 is fine, but is consisting only of 90° corners and 45° where polys are cutting. Also has a couple of invisible blocks around the center (inside the tree if I recall correctly). For its time an astounding map, though, and huge... could have used a little more playtesting, though. ;)
Renegade
Adept
Personal rank: Vigilante

Post by Renegade »

Swanky wrote:CTF-ProjectX2 is fine, but is consisting only of 90° corners and 45° where polys are cutting. Also has a couple of invisible blocks around the center (inside the tree if I recall correctly). For its time an astounding map, though, and huge... could have used a little more playtesting, though. ;)
You're right about the terrain being a little sharp. It's just the scale of the map that I find the most impressive. There are two maps in the Low Poly Map Packs by GenMoKai (sepulchrum and sacrificium) that have smoother terrain and play quite well.

Also, shout out to this map DM-Spillway_XXL for having terrain ported from Google Sketchup (according to the readme).

papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Ahhh yes DM-Spillway, a very beautiful map ...but too big for just Deathmatch.
AS or DOM could fit very well in this layout.
Best played with infiltration or TO weapons.
KingJosh
Skilled

Post by KingJosh »

hi all.

I have made my map a scifi go green map which a mix of both nature and city, which is why I called it Coexist. Since the high tech buildings are coexisting with nature without harming it. It is a DOM map, with 4x control points. 1 is UT99 with ut99 pickups / guns/ vehicles, the 2nd control point is ut2004 with ut2k4 pickups, weps, and vehicles, the 3rd is IRL real life control point with a realistic weapons mod and real vehicles such as helicopters and fighter jets and realistic health bandages, and the 4th control point is fantasy land with alcohol bottles for health instead of liver damage, fantasy flying odd futuristic vehicles, and fantasy U4e mod guns. Right now there are a few minor bsp small invisible wall areas, which i think are unfixable ( i have spent many hours attempting to fix and sent it to dr flay today to see if he had any ideas too), but map is still very playable and fun. For now this is my submission unless by some miracle i can find a fix for the few minor errors, then i will submit it later, but i am 99.9% sure they unfixable.

The video below will explain all needed info:

B8U1lPb5FUA

edit for new dl link below-

http://www.filehosting.org/file/details ... oexist.rar
Last edited by KingJosh on Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Uhm... KingJosh... I have a few questions:

- Is this ment for offline play or online play? If Online... did you just use the S3TC textures?? If Offline... how do the bots work then?
- How am I suppose to put this on a mappack??
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

161.84 MB?... :| ...161.84 MB?... :lol: ...161.84 MB?!!... :shock: ...161.84 MB?!! ... :loool:

I think this is a little bit too much. What did you stuff into your map??
KingJosh
Skilled

Post by KingJosh »

UnrealGecko wrote:Uhm... KingJosh... I have a few questions:

- Is this ment for offline play or online play? If Online... did you just use the S3TC textures?? If Offline... how do the bots work then?
- How am I suppose to put this on a mappack??
It just happens to use some 1024x512 building textures, so it looks best in d3d9 or d3d10 with s3tc enabled, but it will work with any render/setting but will just look a lot worse. It works fine online or offline, and is fully pathed. The reason the dl is somewhat larger is my unr file alone without any myleveled info is 35mg just from the amount of polygons/lights/pathnodes etc. The main texture file I used is around 50mg, so 85megs is gone just from the main texture and unr file. The rest of it is the air plane meshes and other meshes for the flyable vehicles and the realistic wep mods for the real life dom control point , and the xpickups Etc. This is all shown in the video I just posted.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Is there a problem with that download link? All I get is an error message saying that the file can not be found.
Spectra
Masterful
Personal rank: Nullified!

Post by Spectra »

If I am not wrong! Those fighter jets are taken from AirFightUT??
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

KingJosh... that map is either really scary or really impressive. In any event, I'm blown away!

Right up on my list of things to grab when I get my computer back.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

OMG ...I totally forgot to make the batch !!!!!!
KingJosh
Skilled

Post by KingJosh »

@ Rocky - Yes the real life control point uses realistic vehicles from AirFight UT. The ut99 section uses flyable vehicles from the stock deco meshes such as the intro cities flying cars. The ut2k4 control point uses the ut2k4 onslaught vehicle meshes from Blackcheetah. The fantasy land control point uses vehicle meshes from NeoCairo mod.

@ OjitoC - if that dl link isnt working for you here is the alternative link if needed http://www.filedropper.com/dom-tmc-s3tc-coexist

@papercoffee - it uses ut2k4 vehicles, neocairo vehicles, ut2k4 guns, u4e guns, and some highrez textures which is why the dl size is somewhat higher then normal (shown in vid)

@evilGrins- thanks friend let me know what you think
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

I think I like the map but I'm really turned off by having to use S3TC textures, so I won't touch it. I have a bad nerve about S3TC textures, for any of problem I've ran across in the past and do not want to touch it again whatsoever, even fixes.

But prop for throwing in the different generation of these different mods. It seem pretty cool, especially the jet and I would like to try it out but I don't want to install the S3tc textures if it's needed to run.

If the map is laggy, I think it won't be played online, but it also depend on the user's set up how they leave almost everything on default (new players and a couple of other who doesn't bother messing with it).. hmm. So yeah.

I like reading the manual, better than watching a youtube video without sound... at night.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
KingJosh
Skilled

Post by KingJosh »

Chamberly wrote:I think I like the map but I'm really turned off by having to use S3TC textures, so I won't touch it. I have a bad nerve about S3TC textures, for any of problem I've ran across in the past and do not want to touch it again whatsoever, even fixes.

But prop for throwing in the different generation of these different mods. It seem pretty cool, especially the jet and I would like to try it out but I don't want to install the S3tc textures if it's needed to run.

If the map is laggy, I think it won't be played online, but it also depend on the user's set up how they leave almost everything on default (new players and a couple of other who doesn't bother messing with it).. hmm. So yeah.

I like reading the manual, better than watching a youtube video without sound... at night.
you dont have to use any s3tc textures. I just used some 1024x512 textures, and i did have mipmaps generated, so if you use an older render without any s3tc it will just display them as 256x128, which wont look as nice but it will work.

ok chamberly if you need an owners manual to map instead of video manual, i attached it here for you
ReadMe Coexist.pdf
(4.44 MiB) Downloaded 132 times
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Maybe I didn't make it sound right but I did read the manual when I downloaded the file. Otherwise I wouldn't know this was there and wouldn't say a thing.

Now when it's playable without need of s3tc that's good... I guess I'll go give it a try but my laptop is crazy.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?