The Terrain Mapping Contest

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: The Terrain Mapping Contest

Post by sektor2111 »

Gustavo6046 wrote: What did I do after all? I just changed a bit the Unreal Wiki these days because I though it would get better.
These changes will just make coders to lose trust in Wiki. If a Gusty Aspy dude cannot check his stuff and is doing trash bad stuff (see HellKeeper's reply straight into real point), then how the heck you might think that your are in charge to do changes/completions at Wiki ? You cannot complete your own stuff (if is yours - me thinking at that map from 2006 for sure is not yours). The rest of your blabbering honestly doesn't help and you mock at Wiki ? Why you don't try to complete the real Wikipedia and see results ? You, and such people clueless about how UnrealEngine works and about UScript stuff how did you dare to mock DataBase knowledge ? Nobody there can see what you do to remove your writing rights ? Perfect I only can imagine Gusty×25 what can do by spreading 0 stuff and screwing tutorials - if already other "candidates" did not made it (recalling a retarded mover setup tutorial on Youtube - that guy did not even know what is Tag and Event but was recording tutorials).

Helping community were you saying ? OKAY, homework for you - Assault Nexgen and then ASC. Don't rush, take your time properly. Implement a Mapvote inside them, a logo, ect.

As I could see so far, many sane people are heavily understand UScript, but your were able to screw it that way to not be recompiled again by beginner coders, adding bugged bytes, and for me looks like is done in purpose SO ABOUT WHAT HELP ARE WE TALKING ? You seems to know well what you do in jerky ways, making me to have many doubts about your bad health state. I'm curious when all this mess are going to be stopped. Seriously at a moment I'm gonna copy these into a Document for future use, it might be a comedy subject.
papercoffee wrote:There are enough people who don't know shit about you and how things work in UT and just blindly download what they find ...and afterwards they blame UT99.org for hosting crap mods and mutators.
This what I was thinking about when I saw craps posted, not because I don't like a guy. I don't have anything with people but I have a problem with the sh!t done by them (releasing 0 stuff, screwing Wiki, posting posts just for presence) - "Flush The Toilette" is the song in cause.
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

papercoffee wrote:If you want someone to help you with your code.
Copy the code you have and post it in the Coding section using this button Image ...now can people look over your stuff and can correct you.

No hard feelings ...I just want to avoid that you or UT99.org gets in trouble. Therefore, don't release already compiled and ready to use code. There are enough people who don't know shit about you and how things work in UT and just blindly download what they find ...and afterwards they blame UT99.org for hosting crap mods and mutators.

Do you get me now?
Of course! The only thing I don't get is -- why they think UT99.org host the stuff when it is actually Dropbox (in my case at least)?
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Gustavo6046 wrote:Of course! The only thing I don't get is -- why they think UT99.org host the stuff when it is actually Dropbox (in my case at least)?
I know, it will be a shock for you, but 70% of the world population are dumb people.
They blame the place where they find it not themself. Or why do you think are PC-viruses and scam-mails successful?
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

sektor2111 wrote:"Flush The Toilette"
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

papercoffee wrote:
Gustavo6046 wrote:Of course! The only thing I don't get is -- why they think UT99.org host the stuff when it is actually Dropbox (in my case at least)?
I know, it will be a shock for you, but 70% of the world population are dumb people.
They blame the place where they find it not themself. Or why do you think are PC-viruses and scam-mails successful?
I am part of the 30%'s so far, I Guess. Also the only scam-mail I get is a bunch of people pestering me with thousands of mails about "Jesus Rocks" and that Christian stuff.
JackGriffin wrote:
sektor2111 wrote:"Flush The Toilette"
Sorry Kelly but I only wanted a family that understand what I do, just like you. But my insterests are much broader, including:
  • Coding - Scripting
    -C++
    -Java
    -Python
    -HTML
    -CSS
    -UnrealScript (duh)
  • Styling - Making Textures & Images
  • Composing
  • And only then games. Even less due to overheating.
Anyway when my father lets me play on his laptop (normally due to a visit to someone that don't have PC), I thank God!

Also I accidentally broke that toilet you mentioned the last time I was $#@%ting in it. It's pretty much clogged up :/
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Gustavo you have not broken any rules, just people patience.

Sites are guilty by association.
For comparison any site that posts a link to pirated material is held as guilty as the site that hosts.
This is why we do not allow the posting of such links. We will get the same cease and desist / take-down order as the host.

In the case of custom made game files you have to think of several things.
Any files you post will get scraped by bots, or people that cannot read English, or bother to read whole threads.
Your Beta files have a high percentage of turning up in random online collections, and from there a chance they will get used on a server.

This is why you should always name a distro and map as Alpha or Beta.
As suggested by Paper, it is a good idea to post your code, rather than the .u files until they are functional and most importantly stable.
If you look at OldUnreal and UnrealSP you will see lots of pasted code.
All those that can help can now do so without downloading. A reply post with the fixed code will help all those reading the thread to also learn.
Sending broken and receiving fixed .u files etc. means that only 1 person gets to learn.

If you look at the threads here by experienced mappers, you will see it is almost impossible to get a Beta version of a map to play with.
They will only release when they are sure it is finished and polished. Until then you get screenshots or video.

If your laptop is overheating, yes vacuum clean the cooling grills. I am guessing you are using the native screen resolution (and probably intel GFX)
Disable antialiasing.
Try using a screen-sizes around 800x600 and don't go higher than 1024x768 (adapt for wide-screen). You should find another size that is native to the monitor and does not look blurred.
If you actually want UT at full speed, plug in a CRT 4:3 monitor and use a faster timing.
Check this thread for tools that can be used to tweak windows, drivers, performance and cooling https://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3750
Last option. Place 2 pencils on the desk and put the laptop on them.

If you can afford to buy new PCs every time there is a problem, then laptops are fine, but if you want a cleanable, fixable PC that will evolve with your requirements and pocket size, think about building your next PC.
All mine have always been made from a mix of new and old parts, and last for many years.
I may find it hard to find the money for a new GFX card, but it costs a lot less than a whole new laptop of the same standard.
Forum|User
Experienced

Post by Forum|User »

Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

What do you expect from a guy in a home without a backyard, with only boring (and ANNOYING) toys, in a place full of traffic and with robbers everywhere? Action, of course!

Actually 2 days ago it was the first time I playa UT3 (in my father's laptop). It don't have a very good sense of action, I mean, it's not as packed and funny as UT99. It is actually very slow... to a extent. More like, "I grab a AVRiL, I bust all enemy's vehicles! :satan: Oh I only have 5 ammunition in my AVRiL. What the hell. :omfg: "

Weapon of Destruction
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

OK, seeing as there weren't a whole lot of submissions (barely started my own as well, so I understand where everyone is going), I changed up the voting a bit: instead of the Gamers choice and Participant vote polls, the winner will just be voted by everyone. Poll is over there: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6722

Still not quite sure what to do with the mappack... If anyone still has their submissions and they are nearly complete, they can still send them here or PM them to me and I can put them in there. I think that will be best :tu:
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Damn ! NOOOooooooo
FRAAAAAAAAG WHERE IS YOUR MAP !?
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

Dr.Flay wrote:Damn ! NOOOooooooo
FRAAAAAAAAG WHERE IS YOUR MAP !?
Oh that... it's sitting along with the other 10 unfinished maps ... sadly, they just sit here - wanting to be worked on and completed...

However, it seems I just can't get motivated to do anything in ut99, or mapping for that matter. It's just too much time and effort.

Looking at this thread, it looks like the contest went south, too bad... maybe contests are not enough any more to keep the old 99 going...!?

At least I contributed to Swanky's map, although that was a while ago. Perhaps my show of effort might have "sparked" him to complete
the work. Glad he did that since it turned out well :thuup:

I'll have a play through all the maps, although I won't comment on them since I essentially quit the contest :/

Good luck to the mappers that submitted...
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

FraGnBraG wrote:However, it seems I just can't get motivated to do anything in ut99, or mapping for that matter. It's just too much time and effort.

Looking at this thread, it looks like the contest went south, too bad... maybe contests are not enough any more to keep the old 99 going...!?

I'll have a play through all the maps, although I won't comment on them since I essentially quit the contest :/
That's funny cause I feel UT99 mapping is insanely fast compared to UT2004, not only because there's not tons of fiddling with meshes, but also because the expectations are not the same and it just gives more freedom.

Regarding the contest, it's not UT dying, it's the contest being wrongly setup, nothing that can't be fixed next time. Please give us your comments on the maps because there's no reason someone not in the contest couldn't comment. And I think we need some feedback by high-level mappers for everyone to progress.
You must construct additional pylons.
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Even that this time UT didn't die, in 2020 it won't even be heard of. Any historical database will be deleted in a tragic loss. In 2050, anything from 2000 or before will be forgotten by most assuming the tragedy haven't happened.. By a few thousands years, some asteroid that we failed to destroy has hit Earth. In a few millions years, Humanity have been died, and if UT haven't died to there, it will. In a few BILLION years, the Sun will erupt into a huge red star and swallow every Internal Solar System planet (Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars) and make a mess in the Outer Solar System planets (Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune)!

But that's a long way. For now just look into the present! Nobody needs to be hugging UT since 1999, but nobody needs to worry about it's death because it won't come so soon!

In your opinion, which was UT99's peak time? I don't remember very well. I didn't ever heard of forums and communities until this decade, I though people just bought and played games, loved them and stored them in their garage!

Weapon of Destruction
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Gustavo6046 wrote:Even that this time UT didn't die, in 2020 it won't even be heard of. Any historical database will be deleted in a tragic loss. In 2050, anything from 2000 or before will be forgotten by most assuming the tragedy haven't happened.. By a few thousands years, some asteroid that we failed to destroy has hit Earth. In a few millions years, Humanity have been died, and if UT haven't died to there, it will.
All right, Gustavostradamus, interesting way to predict things, the same as at PMH (aka old PlanetMonsterHunt) when was predicted End of World in 2012. Amazingly, that prediction included bugs - Accessed Nones so to speak, and EndOfWorld() returned false due to some dumb stuff which a 14 years old - annoying kid - was posting there. Presuming your prediction is True let me share my thoughts.
Given the age of people having heart-attack in this area and which were dying (teachers, workers, technicians, ect.) some day will be my turn to play Rigor Mortis layed on a wooden coffin awaiting burial or a burn. Then in "state Dead" a real human has more definitions like ignores Pain, Noise, SeenOthers, ect. So I'm guessing I really will not give a sh!t in that moment if Planet Earth will survive or will die or anyone is there to mourn me or to happily laugh, I'm just a part of life cycle and nothing more that a piece of whatever material which will get another form (a carrot maybe :ironic: ). I might want some poison before to die in purpose to kill all worms eating me in the grave.
Now mission will continue to play good UT Levels as long as technology will still be friendly. A thread for recovering stuff lost seems unfriendly, there are a couple of still NOOBS after years which are seriously disturbed to find their Levels fixed - probably they love trash. Thinking in quality terms would be better to see people doing good things even if they have less experience. Mr. Gustavo6046, I found Levels at Mapraider being Map number 2 or number 1 executed by a random dude (respect) and done well enough for that level of experience, you might also take in account that I have seen some MH types done by an 11 years old kid. You can forget too much life concerns and go to do something which I want to use - not bad clones of existent stuff - some tiny thing given your extended programming hobby.
Gustavo6046 wrote: Coding - Scripting
-C++
-Java
-Python
-HTML
-CSS
-UnrealScript (duh)
Styling - Making Textures & Images
Composing
And only then games. Even less due to overheating.
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

@sektor2111, You might want a weapon jump NavigationPoint (RocketJump, BioJump, any-jump supported):

Code: Select all

//=============================================================================
// WeaponJumpSpot.
//=============================================================================
class WeaponJumpSpot expands LiftCenter;

var()	class<Weapon>	WeaponToJump;
var		pawn			rstt;

function Actor SpecialHandling(Pawn Other)
{
	local	LiftExit	Target;
	local	Weapon		W, XW, YW;
	local	float		WX, np;

WX = 4096;
	Target = LiftExit(Other.MoveTarget);

if ( WeaponToJump != None )
		W = Weapon(Other.FindInventoryType(WeaponToJump));

if ( (Target != None) && (Target.LiftTag == LiftTag) && (W != None) )
	{
		Other.SetRotation(Rotator(-(Target.Location - Self.Location)));
		Other.JumpOffPawn();
		Other.Weapon = W;
		SetTimer(0.5, false);
		rstt = Other;
	}
	else if ( ( W == None ) && ( WeaponToJump != None ) )
	{
		foreach AllActors(class'Weapon', XW)
		{
			np = VSize(XW.Location - Location);

if ( VSize(XW.Location - Location) < np )
			{
				YW = XW;
				WX = np;
			}
		}

if ( YW != None )
			Other.MoveTarget = YW;
	}

return self;
}

function Timer()
{
	rstt.FireWeapon();
}
The only unfortunate problem with it is that the bot isn't considering it to take the flak in the test level, probably because they don't see the Flak Cannon, or because the script isn't working... :/

I tried to avoid Accessed Nones as well :)

Weapon of Destruction