The Terrain Mapping Contest

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: The Terrain Mapping Contest

Post by sektor2111 »

I might call this "a test".
I was picking a random map with zones. In one I've added this sort of "zone", I don't understand "-" that minus sign.

Code: Select all

-//=============================================================================
// SandstormZone.
//=============================================================================
class SandstormZone expands ZoneInfo;
I'm not bother to check if exist other useless bytes but... let's see the game.
Spawning in so called storm zone - nothing evil occurred, I can even fly with wind in my a$$ properly due to gravity setup...
Spawning in other place out of zone and running there later causes indeed some damage but I still cannot figure any storm just a damage-zone.
Suggestion: Don't load servers with useless files.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Aaaaannd now he's back into the ignore list.

There should be a staff discussion about suspending his account here. He will not listen, he's posting things that are literally error prone from the first byte of data, and he refuses to listen to anyone that asks him to follow established community guidelines.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

JackGriffin wrote:I'll continue this via email paper. I don't want to be associated with what's going on here. I tried to tell him.... <smh>
Or PM or the FF forum...
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

And for a general information in how to stuck UT game (heading to computer stuck) things are simple to get messy, Mr. Gusty Aspy.
Usually happens when "coder" has no clue what stuff is doing. A bad state code from an actor results in an infinite loop causing a server to stop working - it won't do heart-beat, it won't respond at ping, it won't be able to load players - it becomes a NONE. This is successfully delivered by "coders" which are simply clueless about their work - Gusty's case is not an exception. UT has more chances to survive if bad occurrences are removed right in firsts 10 seconds, but admins seems to don't care and to sleep well so I might retreat into my box (as I was before XC threads which were awaking me). I'm gonna use the personal right to remove this place from "bookmarks" (it was the first link but it will be deleted) and perhaps I'll look around after a small break (perhaps couple of months).
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

sektor2111 wrote:UT has more chances to survive if bad occurrences are removed right in firsts 10 seconds, but admins seems to don't care and to sleep well so I might retreat into my box (as I was before XC threads which were awaking me).

It's not that simple ...I know it because I was once Admin here. There is no rule for it ...you can't ban people because you don't like them (on other forums are other rules) and you can't forbid people to post crap maps/code/models ...or this forum would be more empty than the head of those people. Just a handful of elites doesn't make a community. :wink:
And no I don't mean Gustavo with the empty-headed people. If he really is Asperger then I can't dislike him... I have a close friend who is Asperger and I know exactly how hard it is for him to understand what people want from him... Asperger are not capable to read between the lines.
But just because you are a Asperger doesn't mean you can't be an asshole.
I'm gonna use the personal right to remove this place from "bookmarks" (it was the first link but it will be deleted) and perhaps I'll look around after a small break (perhaps couple of months).
Oh C'mon just because one guy is getting on your nerves?
I want to see some "bravery in the field" from you!!
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Nels, you ought to consider hopping over to Unreal. You can carry all your MH stuff (with some small edits) and I'll set up FTP so you can clone my server. This will get you up and running immediately and then you can just go wild with whatever you want to do. Everything I'm running is open source and I have source code for all of it. It would take you a month or so to get it where you want but having access to the entire engine just can't be beaten.

paper, I'll catch up with you on the FF forum. That's probably easiest.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Sorry about the absence, I was away from home with no internet (still am at the moment, I'll be back after a few more days). Once I'm back, I'll start the poll.

@PrinceOfFunky, I think you did make in on time, but did you upload the final version now? (can't check right now) I'll update the 1st post as soon as I can :wink:.

I'll also post the poll once I'll be back. Stay tooned!

@Gustavo, did I misread somehing, or did you ask to remove your map from the contest? Please comfirm.

Now, if you'll excuse me...
Spoiler
:nonono: :wth: :sad2: :omfg: :confused2:
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

I tried to HELP doing that sandstorm zone actor. I think I can't do it...
Also do you know? Don't retire the map from the contest, nobody knows if someone may vote it. It even has a '99ish feel!
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

UnrealGecko wrote:@PrinceOfFunky, I think you did make in on time, but did you upload the final version now? (can't check right now) I'll update the 1st post as soon as I can :wink:.
"Final version" are big words :D I would like to finish it, making it better but, I know I wouldn't be in time, and if I would of upload a final version for this contest, I wouldn't feel like it is fair for other partecipants :/
(Except if they did the same .o.)
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
Spectra
Masterful
Personal rank: Nullified!

Post by Spectra »

Here some screenshots from my map - CTF-Centauri :mrgreen:

Since, the contest is over and failed to complete the map on time, I have to remove the TmC logo and remove from Mylevel too.
UTX
Skilled

Post by UTX »

It looks neat, Rocky.
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Now that I noticed your post!
JackGriffin wrote:[Gustavo6046] refuses to listen to anyone that asks him to follow established community guidelines.
Nobody asked, and I always though I followed such guidelines!! I would like someone to make a thread to discuss my destiny by here.

Also does this means sharing stuff is against community guidelines? Maybe some days later when I have another notebook (I'll change laptop) that doesn't overheat, then I will be capable of testing my stuff and making it non-error-prone.

What did I do after all? I just changed a bit the Unreal Wiki these days because I though it would get better. And now I am wondering how to revert these changes... :/
Also nobody in BeyondUnreal done something about my edits so I guess they just let it go.
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Let it be Gustavo ...you are on his ignore list, that means he can't read your posts any more.
Jack told you to stop publishing stuff you have not tested ...many others said your stuff is not working.
Sharing stuff which is broken from start is not how we do things here ...if you still think sharing broken stuff is ok then expect harsh critique.

If you say you can fix this car and afterwards it's still not running ...why should someone say "thanks, you helped me a lot". It's normal to get the opposite effect.

You'll get a new notebook? Great ...test your code on a fresh unchanged UT install.
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

papercoffee wrote:Let it be Gustavo ...you are on his ignore list, that means he can't read your posts any more.
Jack told you to stop publishing stuff you have not tested ...many others said your stuff is not working.
Sharing stuff which is broken from start is not how we do things here ...if you still think sharing broken stuff is ok then expect harsh critique.

If you say you can fix this car and afterwards it's still not running ...why should someone say "thanks, you helped me a lot". It's normal to get the opposite effect.

You'll get a new notebook? Great ...test your code on a fresh unchanged UT install.
Actually, I wanted people to H-E-L-P. I always though of the Coding section as a place to get help with UnrealScript. But it is a place to share working code... I won't warn again -- just help, don't critique!

Weapon of Destruction
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

If you want someone to help you with your code.
Copy the code you have and post it in the Coding section using this button Image ...now can people look over your stuff and can correct you.

No hard feelings ...I just want to avoid that you or UT99.org gets in trouble. Therefore, don't release already compiled and ready to use code. There are enough people who don't know shit about you and how things work in UT and just blindly download what they find ...and afterwards they blame UT99.org for hosting crap mods and mutators.

Do you get me now?