The Terrain Mapping Contest

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
User avatar
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Posts: 2506
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:26 am
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko
Location: Kaunas, Lithuania

Re: The Terrain Mapping Contest

Post by UnrealGGecko » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:59 am

Updated 1st post by adding links to Gustavos and Swankys submissions. :wink:

User avatar
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:08 pm
Personal rank: Zeta Group leader
Location: Brazil

Re: The Terrain Mapping Contest

Post by Gustavo6046 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:22 pm

Renegade wrote:Here's another Terrain generator:
http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/index.php?p=8
How do I export it to unrealed? I think I remember using it once, but it was too long ago, and the only thing else I remember about it is that it didn't export correctly to UnrealEd.

User avatar
papercoffee
Godlike
Posts: 9998
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:36 am
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!
Location: Cologne, the city with the big cathedral.

Re: The Terrain Mapping Contest

Post by papercoffee » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:23 am

Gustavo6046 wrote:
Renegade wrote:Here's another Terrain generator:
http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/index.php?p=8
How do I export it to unrealed? I think I remember using it once, but it was too long ago, and the only thing else I remember about it is that it didn't export correctly to UnrealEd.
Nice tool indeed ...but it seems to be more suitable for the quake engine and its editors.
The t3d file was not importable ...UEd closed with a "protection fault" regardless the size of the terrain. And importing t3d files into the Terrain Generator is not possible.

User avatar
memsys
Adept
Posts: 392
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:21 pm
Personal rank: Silicon Lifeform

Re: The Terrain Mapping Contest

Post by memsys » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:46 am

papercoffee wrote: Nice tool indeed ...but it seems to be more suitable for the quake engine and its editors.
The t3d file was not importable ...UEd closed with a "protection fault" regardless the size of the terrain. And importing t3d files into the Terrain Generator is not possible.
Paper, try Brush -> import instead.

I have been quietly following this thread and I kinda want to join in but I suck at terrain and I am not sure if my wrist can handle the stress of vertex editing.
So far all the external tools have been kinda meh and ued does not like all of them when they go beyond a certain number of surfaces.
There is one month left in the contest (who thought 1,5 month was enough for a terrain based mapping contest but maybe it's just me :ironic:) and I am not sure if I can make the map that I have mentally pictured in that time.

On another note, does anyone know where I can get a good palm tree deco?

User avatar
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Posts: 3323
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:26 pm
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist
Location: Kernow, UK

Re: The Terrain Mapping Contest

Post by Dr.Flay » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:31 am

Well if Creavions work is already being featured, why not use the palm trees in FacePalm or Feel NaPali ?

User avatar
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Posts: 922
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:13 pm
Personal rank: Good news everyone!
Location: Canada

Re: The Terrain Mapping Contest

Post by FraGnBraG » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:48 am

Dr.Flay wrote:Well if Creavions work is already being featured, why not use the palm trees in FacePalm or Feel NaPali ?
i'm using stuff from FacePalm, Feel NaPali and Kamah ...

Also note guys (and gals) that you can make terrain a number of ways, as long as it works...

For example, the terrain brush, stacked tesselated intesected subtracted cube block method (as shown in alexanders tutorial)
but not invented by him - guys like bot40, gui, hourances, taught us "older" mappers how to do that method.
In fact all the terrain alignment work i did in SWANKY's map involved rotating each terrain brush in two axis to perform floor align on prepared surfaces.
I took me a goddamn week just to align all that rock. Amazingly all the brush manipulation caused no HOMs in that map, although i think
there were a few collision errors. When that "bot40" method of brush alignment is used you can't transform permanently any terrain brush
or you lose the work. Vertical wall alignment was never used for the rock walls, so you must be careful not to disturb alignments because
you'll never get it aligned again (unless you rotate again, heh)...

Any how, memsys just make a simple terrain with a nice castle or something - doesn't have to be complex. Complex terrain in UT99 is bad.
Those generators are usually bad. You have to pull verts one way or another (there's no escape ha ha ha).

Just for fun, go download the map "CTF-B3-Island of the skull devils" from medors, etc, and load it into ued - ya see!? Pretty much "throwing
paint on the wall" to create a random island terrain - Blito3 of course. It builds properly and actually works pretty well in game. The trick is
really in the brush ordering etc, UEngine doesn't give a shit about cuts and crap up to a point - it can be the most forgiving software on earth
sometimes, and allows all sorts of bad mapping practices to work - hell, who needs the grid, lol :P

Cheers
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***

User avatar
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:08 pm
Personal rank: Zeta Group leader
Location: Brazil

Re: The Terrain Mapping Contest

Post by Gustavo6046 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:55 am

FraGnBraG wrote:it can be the most forgiving software on earth
sometimes, and allows all sorts of bad mapping practices to work - hell, who needs the grid, lol :P
You forgot about:
  • Rotating brushes;
  • Scaling brushes without applying "Transform Permanently" or off-grid;
  • Having brushes collide with the borders of a big subtractive brush (which caused the HOMs and disappearing items in very old versions of AS-TmC-Snow).

User avatar
memsys
Adept
Posts: 392
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:21 pm
Personal rank: Silicon Lifeform

Re: The Terrain Mapping Contest

Post by memsys » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:39 pm

FraGnBraG wrote:-snip-

Any how, memsys just make a simple terrain with a nice castle or something - doesn't have to be complex. Complex terrain in UT99 is bad.
Those generators are usually bad. You have to pull verts one way or another (there's no escape ha ha ha).

Just for fun, go download the map "CTF-B3-Island of the skull devils" from medors, etc, and load it into ued - ya see!? Pretty much "throwing
paint on the wall" to create a random island terrain - Blito3 of course. It builds properly and actually works pretty well in game. The trick is
really in the brush ordering etc, UEngine doesn't give a shit about cuts and crap up to a point - it can be the most forgiving software on earth
sometimes, and allows all sorts of bad mapping practices to work - hell, who needs the grid, lol :P

Cheers
Heh, Once I get a good idea I really, REALLY want to turn that into a map! I was s̶t̶u̶p̶i̶d̶ brave enough to make MeinKraft for the 512K contest last year and join the 48hour contest the year before that knowing I am slow as balls when it comes to mapping.

So it looks like I either like to push my skills to the next level when I get the chance or I like to make myself suffer :ironic: .

And thanks for the pointers to maps and resources guys it's much appreciated !

User avatar
papercoffee
Godlike
Posts: 9998
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:36 am
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!
Location: Cologne, the city with the big cathedral.

Re: The Terrain Mapping Contest

Post by papercoffee » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:17 pm

memsys wrote:Paper, try Brush -> import instead.
:ironic: It worked...

But now I have just a sheet.
And it was maybe a little bit tooo big...I got this after rotating around and checking all the vertices.
Clipboard01.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:08 pm
Personal rank: Zeta Group leader
Location: Brazil

Re: The Terrain Mapping Contest

Post by Gustavo6046 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:48 pm

papercoffee wrote:I got this after rotating around and checking all the vertices.
Clipboard01.png
It didn't crash for me. :P

User avatar
memsys
Adept
Posts: 392
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:21 pm
Personal rank: Silicon Lifeform

Re: The Terrain Mapping Contest

Post by memsys » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:32 pm

papercoffee wrote:
memsys wrote:Paper, try Brush -> import instead.
:ironic: It worked...

But now I have just a sheet.
And it was maybe a little bit tooo big...I got this after rotating around and checking all the vertices.
Clipboard01.png
Hehe, yeah I bet it's too big and that ued does not like the brush that that generator makes.
You can actually add it into the level and you get working terrain.

User avatar
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:08 pm
Personal rank: Zeta Group leader
Location: Brazil

Re: The Terrain Mapping Contest

Post by Gustavo6046 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:36 pm

I made a test using Nem's generator here.
There is also a Dropbox mirror of AS-TmC-Snow here. For when MEGA is faulty.

User avatar
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:32 pm
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton
Location: France

Re: The Terrain Mapping Contest

Post by Hellkeeper » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:51 pm

Both links are broken.
You must construct additional pylons.

User avatar
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:08 pm
Personal rank: Zeta Group leader
Location: Brazil

Re: The Terrain Mapping Contest

Post by Gustavo6046 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:20 pm

Dropbox is in maintenance, just that...

User avatar
papercoffee
Godlike
Posts: 9998
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:36 am
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!
Location: Cologne, the city with the big cathedral.

Re: The Terrain Mapping Contest

Post by papercoffee » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:59 pm

Meh... screw this terrain generators!!! I'll build this map with tessellated cubes now ...much faster than some bogus tool which can't be used without knowing al the quirks it has. :evil:
And for the texture-align thing I'll try the trick Creavion showed to me. UEd1 and the latest patch ...Basta!