Actors with duplicate names (MH-Ziki)

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Barbie
Godlike

Re: Actors with duplicate names

Post by Barbie »

Chamberly wrote:Map edit with notepad or some other editing?
Perhaps the map was created with a previous (buggier) version of UnrealEd? Unreal was delivered with UnrealEd.exe 0.41.0.722; Unreal Tournaments UnrealEd.exe has no version infos.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

"Are you working on that map? I'm doing that also at the moment, and we should avoid double same work. If I'm through I can provide you the fixed map as a beta where you can have a look for errors and issues I missed."

No go ahead, I always like fixing up old or messed up maps. More of curiosity kills the cat, thing. I was thinking the same, to not double up work.

but if you use two editors, and use the building brush to mark where the actor goes helps a lot. I had to save the map after deleting each time because the thing won't disappear.

do it up man !! add some navigation to it, that would be the second job if you want me to mess with it. I didn't look if it has pathing or not.

:rock:
Last edited by Red_Fist on Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Binary Space Partitioning
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Barbie wrote:
Chamberly wrote:Map edit with notepad or some other editing?
Perhaps the map was created with a previous (buggier) version of UnrealEd? Unreal was delivered with UnrealEd.exe 0.41.0.722; Unreal Tournaments UnrealEd.exe has no version infos.
Well, interesting...
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Using Copy-Paste, Editor will do rewrapping things a bit. Then you can delete double pasted actors. Will result a single copy of each actor - said original. The problem is: MAP is CRAP ladies and gentlemen. I was morphing it into Txt and reimported everything in a clean workspace. Even some Bot support was available at new build but... some Textures went wrong causing nasty hom effects. I was trying to set brushes with fixed points, pair numbers. I have lost my patience (848 or 849) brushes so I did a find-replace - several points were messed-up then. Things went nasty at rebuild and... I have quited fighting with this No End map.

EDITOR IS ABLE to use Copy-Paste, stop talking presumptions.

If you are interested in how are points, vertexes, just <SelectAll> <Copy> Open Notepad Notepad++ or such and Paste, now you have the txt image of map. Then you can load a new Level empty and... PASTE all text content modified (if was modified). Go build, go check... for me, coordonates like 128.735523 seems rammed. I think is more wise to have pairs multipliers of 2, 4, 8, rather than any 3, 5, 7, 9. Binary is a pair after all not other bullshits, here as I see if I'm not mistaking several brushes are pretty misaligned. Vertex editing also lacks (laziness ?)
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I don't know if it's my grid settings, but things move slow and weird in there, I use grid 1 all the time.

Not sure if it matters but the map is away from the center, but when you open it the camera is pointing at the void, might be normal but I don't know.

seems like some kind of import conversion thing that happened.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Red_Fist wrote:I don't know if it's my grid settings, but things move slow and weird in there, I use grid 1 all the time.
One thing is 127.000000,511.000000 and is different 127.352563, 511,632154. See what I mean ? It's about "between grid" which I'm not sure if disturbs small Levels, but for this one passing "side node" boundary for sure is not the best thing choosen - not all of them are like that but I found some.

Edit:
Wait... What? Thank you, guys. I've just got an idea. A small reporting feature. If Map uses some BlockAll (which doesn't really blocks everything) this will be logged so I have to check things well based on "Warnings". Probably I'll drop everything which uses almighty "brush" BlockAll based on bad geometry setup.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

HA, I opened the map, selected all actors, copied, hit new map, pasted, got rid of all the dupes, and didn't get stuck on the build.

Played map, started in water zone, zone leak.

I selected all brushes, then inverted selection, ordered to last, then selected all non solids, ordered to last, map rebuilt, played, no zone leak.

That was too easy, not sure if it is perfect, but fixed the main things really fast.

I remember playing this map before.
Wormbo
Adept

Post by Wormbo »

Using grid 1 all the time is a bad idea. The big structures should be aligned to at least grid size 16. The more the better. For details you can reduce the grid size as much as necessary, but try to keep it as high as possible anyway.

Also, even if you use the grid, don't just rotate brushes, but instead consider creating the required shapes using the 2D shape editor to ensure verices are on the grid. The simple reason is that even a cube rotated 45° on one axis will have vertices far off any grid. Only the pivot point of the rotated brush will still be on the grid, but that's the least interesting part of the brush for BSP calculations.
FXANBSS
Skilled

Post by FXANBSS »

A MH map? Damn!, the MH triggers have tons of Accessed nones, only in-game, but that is not a problem. (Just a problem in the log because of the extreme spam but i don't see a problem with these things in-game at all.)
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Wormbo wrote:Using grid 1 all the time is a bad idea. The big structures should be aligned to at least grid size 16. The more the better. For details you can reduce the grid size as much as necessary, but try to keep it as high as possible anyway.

Also, even if you use the grid, don't just rotate brushes, but instead consider creating the required shapes using the 2D shape editor to ensure verices are on the grid. The simple reason is that even a cube rotated 45° on one axis will have vertices far off any grid. Only the pivot point of the rotated brush will still be on the grid, but that's the least interesting part of the brush for BSP calculations.

Ya I know, but I have set the grid to one ever since forever. don't really have very many problems.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I'm curious if your build do supports pathing.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

sektor2111 wrote:I'm curious if your build do supports pathing.

ME ? I didn't get into the map other than making it work, I never checked for paths. (yet)

Nope, no paths, and good luck fixing the map, the one large zone sheet, along with adds poking through the subtract, and some BSP problems.
You die at the first bkue water area you drop down to, once the mover is open and go to the watery hallways, you die.
If you move the sheet lower, below the hall floor, you get back the water zone when you spawn.
That would be the lava large sheet, and is cutting through bad things, like making holes in the map because of the brushes poking through and the large lava sheet
You need to fix the brushes in the first large room with lava, then add a sheet back in.

good luck
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Red_Fist wrote:Nope, no paths, and good luck fixing the map, the one large zone sheet, along with adds poking through the subtract, and some BSP problems.
You die at the first blue water area you drop down to, once the mover is open and go to the watery hallways, you die.
If you move the sheet lower, below the hall floor, you get back the water zone when you spawn.
See ? That's why I was asking. In this topic is posted some duplicate Brush which is more over the total number of brushes used. I'm talking about Brush864 and Brush865 duplicated and my "try-to-fix" one has 851 Brushes. From 851 to 865 there are parts missing or rammed, I don't know if Editor was rewrapping them. This proves that some of them are missing and any build will fail due to missing parts. Fails because map can be rebuild, but it is bad rebuild having errors. Looks like it is not recoverable so easy.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Actually in the hall with the water floor, you don't die but you get stuck, can't move, while looking at HOM.

The map can be fixed, he has that sheet exactly on the same plane as the subtract floor line.
But the add brushes that poke through the subtracts, mingled in with a large nonsolid, is extending problems across the map.
Those zone sheets are kind of big.

But if you fixed all that, then add the sheets back in, even with the screwed up brush to the rear of the building in the first large cave wall, the map should work.
It wasn't built very good, and then do pathing. not worth it. but is still fun to fix things.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Red_Fist wrote:Actually in the hall with the water floor, you don't die but you get stuck, can't move, while looking at HOM.
Huuh, are we still talking about MH-Ziki? I did not notice any of these errors. But Zoning was poor, yes. The according entry of my change log:
MH-Ziki+SBFix.log wrote:* zoned "Maze, "Water Cave", "Spawn Cave", "Water Pump Plant", "Water Pump Back Up Control Room", "Water Pump Tunnel", "Power Plant", "Lava River Maintenance Shaft", "Boiler Complex" and set location strings
A playable beta fix version will be available soon.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett