MH-SpillwayXXL from DM

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Red_Fist
Godlike

Re: If I remake a DM into MH ?

Post by Red_Fist »

Update
This thing is basically done, just a few things, I am going to opt out of using nonstock enemies, just going to leave it with regular Unreal enemies.

However I did something and have the weirdest problem, somehow the bots are getting above the maps play area and somehow get stuck up on the top with the shipping containers.(they worked before) so I need to watch the bots with F5 to track it down, plus I had other things to do besides mapping.

But it is almost complete, really not much to do, add a few things and took out a few things, nothing major accept the goofy bot problem, that makes zero sense. Lol the only way I can see them doing this is if they ride a gasbag, but not 3 or 4 bots, it's crazy, plus I have blocking actors. so I need to monitor the bots.

I did take head to the two testers ,thank you very much. 8) As for changing the overall way it looks ,I won't do it.

a week or two weeks, and will package the original DM along with the MH in the zip.

Update.

I think I got the freaky bot problem solved, was watching but only one bot got up there so fast I didn't catch it, but I think it was the collision radius of some bars, meshes. It still don't explain how they do it though.
Binary Space Partitioning
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Update

I am adding the ship from that AS map Frigate ? , in the map and retextured a little bit.
The gameplay was a little short, it works out good because I am not changing the original authors map around but still adds a longer gameplay.

I added an elaborate pile of actors only to see the countdown of kills for one section, all so the text looks good instead of the counters text. After I get it done, a pile of people will say, all you needed to do was add some new actor for better text

Why can't SOMEONE make an actor to see the countdowns of counters. I had to use 32 monsterevents and 32 more counters to do only that, aaarg seems like someone could hack the special event and make the "%i" thing print in bigger (centered) font, with broadcast.

I still need to do some more trigger,spawns, and setup the ship with enemies, but the rest is basically done.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Red_Fist wrote:Why can't SOMEONE make an actor to see the countdowns of counters.
Just tell more precisely what you need and you'll get it... ;o) An example would be nice.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Barbie wrote:
Red_Fist wrote:Why can't SOMEONE make an actor to see the countdowns of counters.
Just tell more precisely what you need and you'll get it... ;o) An example would be nice.
Very simple, you know the counter, and you set it to show the count.
But the text is small upper left hand corner, and only shows to one player, unlike a monster event large text in the middle of the screen.
Have the counter output the count text the same way for ".....more to go" as the monster event or a special event.
Or the counter itself, and it must broadcast to everyone.
If you throw in an optional setting variant, like +1 so the first pulse don't show any text since it might not be a direct kill so the count is correct.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Then try this one. Either MyLevel the code or distribute your map with SBCounterV0.u. But the broadcast messages are still the "normal" ones, not the CriticalEventPlus ones.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Red_Fist wrote:Be kind of cool if someone did do an AS, a set of 3 ?. I never dove into making AS maps and wouldn't really know how to make a better game play since I hardly ever play CTF or AS.

I imagine it wouldn't be bad as CTF either, but it might need a few more paths drilled in it. But drilling into these style brushes might be a problem, I wouldn't dare try it, whole lotta terrain big brushes in there.
If you can check out AS-TmC-Snow or AS-PowerPlant you can see some not-so-good examples of AS maps. But I don't know of any good AS maps other than AS-MetalFist by FraGNBraG. Though the latter is too big to be used as example easily.
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Gustavo6046 wrote:...But I don't know of any good AS maps other than AS-MetalFist by FraGNBraG...
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Of course, it's AS-TmC-MetalFist-Metallica-JudasPriest-WhoeverCaresWithThisShit. Thanks for remembering :loool:
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I'm curious how many players are about to appreciate bugging HUD with a lot of letters for each stupid creature killed. If default counter has nothing to do with a special broadcast, it's because nobody needs to have HUD bugged with strings for nothing special.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

sektor2111 wrote:I'm curious how many players are about to appreciate bugging HUD with a lot of letters for each stupid creature killed. If default counter has nothing to do with a special broadcast, it's because nobody needs to have HUD bugged with strings for nothing special.
Yes it is needed, I have pawns being spawned throughout the map for one section nearing the end. So no one will know if they killed the amount that is stated. If they do not know if it's completed (all players) they will just think the map is broken. That tiny counter text in the upper corner also disappears too fast and goes unnoticed.

If they are not all killed, the monster end won't turn on, no we NEED an actor that broadcasts the count, I needed it many times before but all we have is that counter that only shows for the player. It should have been a stock actor or built into the counter as a stock actor.

Now if it's just clearing a room with piles of enemies then you would know you killed them all off.

The other reason is we are forced to use a counter in order the get an event for the next stage along with the creature factories.

I could have used it for other things as well rather than making a primitive network of monster events since it broadcasts the results to ALL players.
Running around a map trying to decipher what to do next is POOR map building to the extreme.

So the only effective way is to always tie in a monster event or a special event for each and every goal, and gets more complicated just to do that one thing.

If I had 12 things to do in the map, I would need and extra 24 actors just to show the message to all players.
Last edited by Red_Fist on Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Then you need a "ClientMessage" from an actor tracking Counters. A small normal message looks much better for anyone. I think that default counter can be a bit loved in MyLevel for all humans (Tamerlane doesn't care about them anyway).
MyLevel says:

Code: Select all

class OmniCounter expands Counter;

function Trigger( actor Other, pawn EventInstigator )
{
	local string S;
	local string Num;
	local int i;
	local actor A;
	local TournamentPlayer T, Tp; //Adding line

if( NumToCount > 0 )
	{
		if( --NumToCount == 0 )
		{
			// Trigger all matching actors.
			if( bShowMessage && CompleteMessage != "" )
			{
				foreach AllActors(class 'TournamentPlayer',T)
					T.ClientMessage( CompleteMessage );
			}
			if( Event != '' )
				foreach AllActors( class 'Actor', A, Event )
					A.Trigger( Other, EventInstigator );
		}
		else if( bShowMessage && CountMessage != "" )
		{
			// Still counting down.
			switch( NumToCount )
			{
				case 1:  Num="one"; break;
				case 2:  Num="two"; break;
				case 3:  Num="three"; break;
				case 4:  Num="four"; break;
				case 5:  Num="five"; break;
				case 6:  Num="six"; break;
				default: Num=string(NumToCount); break;
			}
			S = CountMessage;
			while( InStr(S, "%i") >= 0 )
			{
				i = InStr(S, "%i");
				S = Left(S,i) $ Num $ Mid(S,i+2);
			}
			foreach AllActors(class 'TournamentPlayer',Tp)
				Tp.ClientMessage( S );
		}
	}
}
Huh ?
Last edited by sektor2111 on Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Make me one, either make a new counter, or make a new special event that counts.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

If you need other info about "MyLeveling" I'll try to setup a tutorial in tiny images in how to setup a new "internal" class.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

It would be better if it's a .u since the MH guy deleted all the friggen code to compile in MH, pain in the arse.

I would get it into "MyLevel" afterwards even if it was a .U since it's only a small amount of things to add to it, and not have a separate file to download.
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

UnrealEd can read .u files as code AFAIK. Load the file in the Actor Browser and edit one of the actors with the Script Editor.

That's why UnrealEd is so cool to make scripts! :3

Weapon of Destruction