MH-SpillwayXXL from DM

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Red_Fist
Godlike

MH-SpillwayXXL from DM

Post by Red_Fist »

I remade DM-Spillway into a MH map, but I didn't make the map.

If post it here will everyone have a fit, in that, I didn't get permission ?

I PM'd him but not sure he is around anymore, and of course I would not take any credit for making the map. It would be hard to make that map for me.
Had to fix some things in it, had some collision problems and some other things, but only deleted a few brushes for the flow of the map. Otherwise I didn't mess it all up, it looks exactly the same, because it's a great map !

As for his credit is concerned, I would not mess with it if it wasn't for such a cool map to begin with.

I would like to do this to some other DM maps as well. If you have one you think it is good and want me to redo it, let me know.
I am not much of a good brushwork person, takes me forever.

Or, should I pack his original DM map along with the MH map ? to keep things good ? I definitely don't want to be seen as stealing others work.
OR, can someone get a hold of him ? I already redone the map though, still some things needed to do, but is close.
Last edited by Red_Fist on Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Binary Space Partitioning
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: If I remake a DM into MH ?

Post by papercoffee »

You should edit your thread title so others can see directly which map you mean. :wink:

I personally would say credit him for creating this map ...but if he doesn't permitted anything in the readme then you are good to go and change it into what ever game mode is fitting. DM-Spillway is a great map which could also fit into some Assault game type.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

I'd add an info actor to the map's middle and make the drawscale to 3 or so. In the info actor put the credits. After that I wouldn't worry about it. Anyone who opens the map in editor will see you credited the original maker. That's good enough. Too many people are gone now to enforce the old standards of not using things.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
UTX
Skilled

Post by UTX »

Yeah Man, do it. Everyone I have talked to about using their work has been nice enough to agree with it, and since we are not making profit out of this I guess it should be fine as long as credit is given.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

As something of a crediting-whore, I say keep at it. Poke around on other forums and ask if people have seen the guy. You may not get his permission for a while but eventually you'll find him and he'll probably be cool with it.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I think I will pack the DM along with the MH, that way, there will be another link for downloading the DM map. And still have whatever else he packed with it.
But it's not quite done yet, so terrible trying to figure out how hard to make the game play for MH, too much spam sucks, to high of pawn health sucks, too easy sucks. In comparison to the amount of ammo and health and number of players.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

All the maps I have done yet (except fixes) are conversions into MH of existing other, mostly Assault maps. :oops:

At starting a new conversion I have a look in the readme file within the package first, and if there is explicitly said that others are not allowed to use this as a base I respect this and don't use that map. (For example in AS-Colossus.txt: Authors may NOT use this level as a base to build additional levels.) If this is not mentioned I try to contact the Author of the map by mail, if given (but I never got replies).
If I convert a map then, of course I don't substitute the original author but add my nick name in LevelInfo and readme files. I also offer the original map if I publish my work then. See MH-AutoRIP for an example.

Unfortunately working on my MH server and fixing maps occupies all my free time at the moment so I don't find the time to finish the conversion of two nice CTF and AS maps. :sad2:
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

In the readme

Author SzGergo (SzekelyG)

"copyrights:
Ask Revelation if you would like to use his stuff. Feel free to use/modify my stuff anytime."

Technically I am not using Revelations stuff, since it's in the exact map he got the ok to use.

I kind of had a hard time finding this map, so another link out there along with both maps in the ZIP should be good.

Keep thinking if it was my map, I wouldn't care so long as they kept the same integrity of the graphics ,
like not changing textures or sounds or lighting.
papercoffee wrote:You should edit your thread title so others can see directly which map you mean. :wink:
I thought about that ,and will, just wanted to see what people said first.

Thanks ALL 8) appreciate the speedy input

I will have it done in a few days, need to check a few things. I am making it sort of a romp without masses of spawns, light duty bosses but added health. so it will be playable for one person without taking hours, but probably slightly easy for 4 players.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I need a tester, I will give you my email, and send this MH map, don't want to post a link or anything yet. Maybe 2 people.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Red_Fist wrote:I need a tester
If no one else is putting hand up, I can have a look.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Barbie wrote:
Red_Fist wrote:I need a tester
If no one else is putting hand up, I can have a look.

You would be the 2cnd person, PM me I will give you my email, thanks

ADD

OK testers , let me know, once I package it, I will change the thread title and add a download link (for both the DM and MH in one zip, readmes.)

Seems like such a nice map for some reason.
SzGergo
Skilled

Post by SzGergo »

Wow, nice to see this map has some afterlife.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Hehe, you don't wanna know how many maps have afterlife...
For sure old maps are always for UnrealEngine1.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

SzGergo wrote:Wow, nice to see this map has some afterlife.
Are you kidding ...your map is still one of the best ...AS map in DM mode :loool:
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Be kind of cool if someone did do an AS, a set of 3 ?. I never dove into making AS maps and wouldn't really know how to make a better game play since I hardly ever play CTF or AS.

I imagine it wouldn't be bad as CTF either, but it might need a few more paths drilled in it. But drilling into these style brushes might be a problem, I wouldn't dare try it, whole lotta terrain big brushes in there.