Tutorial for rain

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Loose Cannon
Skilled

Tutorial for rain

Post by Loose Cannon »

Hi all,
Anyone have a link for creating rain outside of a map like on Dreary, Hydrophobia, etc.? I'm familiar with creating skyboxes and have done so successfully with space and stars, but my rain effects aren't working. Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance!
UTX
Skilled

Re: Tutorial for rain

Post by UTX »

I do not know, but I think it is just a sheet with an animated texture, that should be easy to make.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

QWeatherEmitter is a pretty good mod for this. Be warned it has a ton of settings and you will need to play with it some to get it visually where you want it. There's not a lot of info about it but it's worth your time to figure it out.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

There are a few options (where can QWeatherEmitter be found ?)

UARain
http://www.unrealsp.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1515

Rain deco in WSPack1.7z is easy to use but no instructions.
https://yourunreal.wordpress.com/2012/11/06/ws-decos/

Does Daewon's DynamicWater include rain ? I can't remember, and the video is now gone :(
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4816
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

Most of those have issues with online replication.
Dr.Flay wrote: (where can QWeatherEmitter be found ?)
It's certainly not easy but if he responds then I'll consider holding his hand. There are TONS of mods that exist only ephemerally, hiding in redirects or sitting in caches. I've seen amazing work completely sitting in the open and no one paid a bit of attention to it.
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

You can set up a rain skybox with Higor's file. I remember Higor's map DownTownBeta have the rain for inside the map that looks like it's coming from high above. Want that?
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
Loose Cannon
Skilled

Post by Loose Cannon »

I appreciate the tips and comments. Sorry I didn't respond back...been trying for a couple days. I tried using a sheet with Rainfx texture and for the life of me the rain either flows up or when I get it to flow down properly the drops are upside down. I feel like an idiot. I've manipulated the texture every which way, rotated, 90'd it, 45'd it, flipped the sheet, x-axis and y-axis the sheet and it keeps flowing up. What the heck? LOL
Loose Cannon
Skilled

Post by Loose Cannon »

Sheesh....finally got it....thanks all! I think I typed in the opposite size for height and width and just flipped it wrong. Thought I tried it both ways yesterday, but for whatever reason it finally worked. Thanks for all of your help!
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Did you try to rotate the sheet 180 degrees?

Anyway those weather/rain/particle emitter the others mentioned are by far better when you try to make realistic rain. The rain on a sheet trick is only suitable if you make it rain outside the actual playing zone.
Or take this map and see how Deathox8 made it. http://medor.no-ip.org/index.php?dir=Ma ... wnfall.zip <=the page is a little bit slow.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Feralidragon wrote: CSMCXExtras:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5355&start=45
(Source: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5638)

Works online, it's very lightweight (particles get recycled) and all the workload is done client-side.
I developed it back then for the 2013 contest.

Usage: upon checking my own source briefly, all the stuff is under Actor > CSMCXActor.
The rain in particular is in Actor > CSMCXActor > CSMCXEffects > CSMCXParticleGen > CSMCXRainGen.
It has a lot of properties under CSMCXEffects, but the most important for rain are probably:
SpawnRadiusMin, SpawnRadiusMax, SpawnHeightMin, SpawnHeightMax, ParticlesMaxTotal, ParticlesPerSecMin, ParticlesPerSecMax
(self-explanatory I think)

Besides textures, it has something like lights with "bloom" (neon-like), statues with overlays, dynamic coronas, lensflares for the skybox (moon), etc.
For instance the smoke generator was used as a wind generator in the map that you will notice if you keep looking around at the sky. The map itself is mostly a showcase of this package anyway.
I'm not double posting ...I'm just the delivery boy :mrgreen:
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

I'm going to write a tutorial for this for everyone to use. I can't believe I missed this.
Loose Cannon
Skilled

Post by Loose Cannon »

Paper, yes I tried rotating the sheet and it kept raining upward! I finally got it right...I think I was typing in the opposite fields under the sheet builder for height and width (although I would think you could manipulate the sheet once it's built to correct the V-pan. Either way it finally got straightened out. I'm just using it as atmosphere out a window. I put multiple sheets of rain so it didn't look too flat.

----Joined----

Jack, that would be awesome! It's nice to know people are still playing the old UT. I always come back to it! I have a question on actor decorations too...I'll start a new thread on that one. Thanks again everyone for your input!!

*Please do not double-post within 24 Earth hours. We allow users to edit old posts* :tu:
Dr.Flay
Last edited by Dr.Flay on Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: posts joined
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

@LooseCannon: Welcome :) Seems like you occasionally double-post. You could stop that and keep a better quality merging both posts. :) Actually ask moderators to do it, normal users like us can't do it.
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
Loose Cannon
Skilled

Post by Loose Cannon »

Ok Gustavo....wasn't aware of that etiquette. I just didn't one post to be too long or excessive. I'll adjust :D
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Loose Cannon wrote:Ok Gustavo....wasn't aware of that etiquette. I just didn't one post to be too long or excessive. I'll adjust :D
I doubt you know what is a long post xD

See something like XC_Engine[16] thread. See the first post? See how it's large and still wasn't split?

Now check the "Tweak your UT Graphics to the Maximum!" link in the top of the page. It leads to a thread. Same thing. Or was that latter one split...? I don't remember.
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction