ut99.org '15 TmC poll

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!

Which of these TmC maps do you think deserves to win

Poll ended at Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:34 pm

DM-TMC-Narean by Swanky
75%
AS-TmC-Snow by Gustavo6046
No votes
DOM-TmC-S3TC-CoexistFinal by KingJosh
13%
DM-TmC-NoxxCrater by PrinceOfFunky
13%

Total votes: 16

Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Re: ut99.org '15 TmC poll

Post by Gustavo6046 »

AS-Snow Objectives Briefing:

-Locate that switch and hit it, in the room after the mountain base's doors. (I only know to make mountain bases, not normal buildings!)
-Get through the door as it opens, locate and grab these secret docs yay
-Find the teleporter room, and go to the radio room where you'll communicate the docs!

This is based on a certain Return to Castle Wolfenstein MP map...
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Dr.Flay wrote:Use of DLLs does not have to be a problem for online use. There is at least 1 server mod that can deliver extra files if required.
I'm waiting a tutorial then. Later I will ask about Linux usage deals. Have you tested a clean client here ? If works then show me The Setup.
If I well recall, there is even a RMusicplayer or such which needs a manual install in client else client won't be able to join in such server. Also if memory doesn't cheat me document spoke about manually installing it because I did not figure any loader support mentioned or point me to a link with a setup tutorial.

Edit: At this moment I have some info from here with mention that it is not an EXTRA stuff - it's embedded in Level which is primary download. So... you need a harder work to convince me that a normal newbie client won't crash, beside this I have already presented a picture of a successful crash.
Last edited by sektor2111 on Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

sektor2111 wrote:
PrinceOfFunky wrote: Actually, I cannot see paths in the editor, even if I click on "View Paths".
Actually I don't have "View Paths" but I have for sure "Show Paths"
Wow... it didn't work on my old laptop for unknow reason, I'm trying it right now, and it works o.o Seems pretty useful.
EDIT: I'm fixing all the paths of my maps o.o
Dr.Flay wrote: "DM-NoxxCrater"
Spoiler
.... *sigh* I really want to like this. It reminds me of a map I play in UT2004.
After guessing how many bots to use (did not fill out the recommended player numbers), the map loads and I get an instant "Ooooh nice,.... moody".
After a short time I start thinking "I hope it comes with an epilepsy warning, this is doing my head in".
The grapple was not as useful here as I thought it may be, but was much more useful than the underpowered jump-pads, or the upward throw of a telepod.
Due to the hoards of zombies, I could quickly see how disconnected the paths are, and the bots just standing about waiting to be eaten.
Bot orders are pointless. You may be lucky to get a couple of bots to come to you.
Finding the pickups among the rubble feels too random, though it would seem to suit a crash-site, it becomes annoying.
The BSB errors are spectacular and frequent :highfive: though none seemed to be killers, but often meant I had no idea where I was walking, or going.
Performance on my PC is acceptable..... aaaaaas long as you never look into the middle of the map from the outside !
Use of DLLs does not have to be a problem for online use. There is at least 1 server mod that can deliver extra files if required.
eg. Most people do not manually install ACE, but the DLLs need to be downloaded to the clients. No minus points from me on that score.
Ty for have been playing my map, rly a sin I couldn't of start to make the map, when this contest started .o. If I'll can read of another contest next year or whenever lol, I hope I can start the map when the contest starts :D
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
Tyr
Skilled

Post by Tyr »

Narean is clearly my favorite. Well build and fluid gameplay.
Released:
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

OjitroC wrote:DM-TmC-NoxxCrater - loved the idea and the dark, dreary, rain-sodden landscape - the flickering polygons, BSP holes and steepness of the crater in some places make it difficult, but not impossible, to play - in one game, though, I fell out of the world three times so there is one, if not two, fatal BSP holes. I didn't find it too dark overall, though there are places where shadows and dark terrain combine to make it difficult to see. The noise of thunder can only be heard in the centre of the crater and should be more general to add to the atmosphere. The black hole is a cool idea. Overall, though, the technical build problems and lack of pathing do, unfortunately, detract considerably from the quality of the map.
Surry, I didn't see this post before D:
But ty to have expressed your opinion. I think, the place where you fell out of world is into the water.
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Hellkeeper wrote:
Red_Fist wrote:I kind of think (only played swankys) but maybe the concept of the maps was more than using a terrain in a map.
I don't fully understand what you're trying to say, but if you mean "maybe the concept was not just about using a terrain in a map", then yes, it absolutely was the concept.
I mean trying so hard while concentrating to make, bigger, smaller, faster, slower, graphics, effects, rather than making a nice playable practical map that is made of, or has use of terrain.
Binary Space Partitioning
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

Red_Fist wrote:
Hellkeeper wrote:
Red_Fist wrote:I kind of think (only played swankys) but maybe the concept of the maps was more than using a terrain in a map.
I don't fully understand what you're trying to say, but if you mean "maybe the concept was not just about using a terrain in a map", then yes, it absolutely was the concept.
I mean trying so hard while concentrating to make, bigger, smaller, faster, slower, graphics, effects, rather than making a nice playable practical map that is made of, or has use of terrain.
Yes, that's why Narean is clearly superior in my opinion. Not only is it wonderful, fast and clean, but the terrain with all its caves gives a nice layout with tons of vertical fighting, open lines of sight and interesting situations. It looks like a normal interior map but it just so happens to be terrains.
You must construct additional pylons.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I must add, I can appreciate the ones who did make a map, especially with terrain, :tu:
Binary Space Partitioning
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

Well, has anything been officially finalized? The poll seems clear enough and I want to send this game to someone! :)

Regardless of the rather lackluster response top the contest overall, our participants made some memorable maps and we appreciate your efforts; it makes no difference if 1 or 100 join.

I also want to say that Swanky did not win by default, as what reading this thread might imply. DM-Narean is a good map by any measure and a big hats off, kudos and congrats to Swanky for a quality map.

Thanks for your work everyone. :tu:
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

Carbon wrote:I also want to say that Swanky did not win by default, as what reading this thread might imply. DM-Narean is a good map by any measure
You are right to say this, Swanky's map is not my favourite only because the other are all broken in some way, it stands on its own as an excellent map. :gj:
You must construct additional pylons.
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

Well, sorry to bump this up, but darn it, I have this box all ready to go!

Swanky, PM me your mailing details! I will have your game in the post right away.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Been meaning to do a review of these maps, as I haven't played any of them yet... but if I ever get around to that I'm gonna have to skip on DOM-TmC-S3TC-CoexistFinal. No offense intended towards KingJosh, but his map uses a different version of TeamOrbit.u than I have, and I'm familiar with THAT version and I'm not fond of it.

It's more of an issue I've got with the Team Orbit team than anything else; I prefer the 1st version of it.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Congrats to Swanky for winning :rock:

The final mappack will (hopefully) be available on Sunday... until then whoever still wants their maps included in it then they can send me the files. :wink:
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

I don't want my map included tbh.
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
Swanky
Adept
Personal rank: Brush Commander

Post by Swanky »

Can use my files from the original links, so that I can remove them from my dropbox... :)