Decoration question: Adding 'trims'/dividing dull walls etc.

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Kaede
Novice
Personal rank: New Old UT'er

Decoration question: Adding 'trims'/dividing dull walls etc.

Post by Kaede »

Hi there, I have a question that can hopefully be answered quite easily!

It's been quite a few years since I last mapped for UT (I am more familiar with mapping for Doom/Zdoom). I have been through the basic tutorials again and I can make my basic geometry, water/lava zones and add actors, so I have the very basics of level building.

Something which I would like to know how to do is add things like 'trims' or decoration to my walls and floors. For example a trim of a new texture around the edges of floors or perhaps girders built into the sides of walls. Things that will help make the level look more visually pleasing and break up the boring flat textures.

For example, in this screenshot below, you can see the mapper has added a grey trim on the floor to show more clearly where the sides of the ledges are:

Perhaps if the answer is more complicated someone could take the time to post a link to a tutorial?

I apologise if this is not clear enough, if so I will try and explain what I mean a bit further.

Kind regards

K
Deadmeat
Novice

Re: Decoration question: Adding 'trims'/dividing dull walls etc.

Post by Deadmeat »

Hi,

You can add trim's, wall/floor decorations by adding another solid brush into the space that you want the new texture to appear. It's actually something I've recently been looking at myself. Here are a couple of links that help explain it abit better.

http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Brush_Sinking

http://members.fortunecity.com/bot40/Tu ... apetut.htm

First link shows what I'm talking about in an understandable way, second link (pinched from another thread!) shows examples of how to do it in practice.

Hope these help :)
Kaede
Novice
Personal rank: New Old UT'er

Post by Kaede »

Deadmeat, thanks very much. I can't look at these right now, I will have to wait till I get home before I can check them out. Will let you know how I get on.

Much appreciated. :tu:

Regards

K

EDIT: Ah, the second one works for me. Yes this is exactly what I was looking for. So it seems you can 'add' another brush even if there is already polys in the same location.
niX
Experienced
Personal rank: shock whore

Post by niX »

just make sure you dont release a map that looks just like that bot40 tutorial map, many people tend to do that and its funny. :bio:
GenMoKai
Godlike
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by GenMoKai »

uhm not even his tutorials ;) some players used the default maps from UT (the DM/CTF/DOM) as there tutorial map... but then added some extra's (like +1 texture or + 1 health) and thats all...
EAT THOSE FRIGGIN BANANAS !!!!!
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission