My first complete creation for a long time - CTF-Delta!

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Emandion
Average

Re: My first complete creation for a long time - CTF-Delta!

Post by Emandion »

Creavion - Maybe they do, but that's not the point I'm trying to make.

My point is - specifically looking at other maps and - finding out what I think is good about them, will put an idea in my mind that is based on that map, which'll most probably result in my architecture, layout, or otherwise being similar. This is something I do not want. I consider it copycatism, not inspiration.
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

It is unknown if the universe is endless or not, but believe me, the room of general architecture ideas is limited, anywise. Own ideas can be created on base of other ones.

Level designing is not a skill from the beginning of your life. You cant expect that you are the pro mapper from the start.
Lets summarize the situation: Either you read (and understand) the tutorials or you look in other maps to learn there what is good and why... its your decision, but do something, if you want to be better!!!!

I think I have everything said what it could be said.

I ask you now.. do you want help .. yes or no? If you want help, make use of your tipps.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Herr Gabriel
Novice
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by Herr Gabriel »

Therefore: THREAD CLOSED

:ironic:
Feed the trolls.
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

Herr Gabriel wrote:Therefore: THREAD CLOSED

:ironic:
NOT YET. :roll:
he has still one chance, lets wait for his answer...
About to be non-active
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Emandion
Average

Post by Emandion »

I don't expect - Nor even want that (I mean c'mon, where'd be the fun in learning, eh? :))

I just don't think you really understand what I'm saying. Hell - maybe you're right. Maybe I should partake in what I consider copycatism (and please, read those words one-hundred times over, and understand "what I consider")

But maybe you're not? Consider the following:

Fresh ideas appear around us all the time. The most common is in a commercial product that nobodies ever marketed before, for example. There's always something nobodies hasn't thought of. Always.

True, you may sit there and think "Gee, this guy really isn't trying to understand what I'm saying here..." - But try and realise that this understanding works both ways. We're both expressing two different opinions here, and I feel that maybe neither of us is going to budge on our perspectives. With this is mind, I think maybe I'll just make a start on something new.. Facility: Epsilon, and hope we can converse about that on better terms, should I come to release it.

Yes - I do want help - but I've already expressed that to me, Tutorials don't pose much help. Yet you continue to refer me to different tutorials.. I must ask myself, is there any other 'help' you can actually give.. Or are you just a link-parrot?

It's a fair question, I believe.
Herr Gabriel
Novice
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by Herr Gabriel »

Even a fair advise from a user itself would be a kind of tutorial. It is tutoring you after all.

We both think that you can't bear with bad critics. I think that you like to blubber in gibberish to sound very intelligent. But the fact that you ask us for help and yet ignore our help because you seek other help which we can't provide because you haven't even mastered the basics yet proves, that you are a noob.

"Hey I can't drive a car, but teach me how to do a barrel roll with a Ford Mustang!!1"
Feed the trolls.
Emandion
Average

Post by Emandion »

Yet again another snag is hit.

There's a difference between being tutored, and reading a tutorial. Consider it like a book, or a classroom.

The book tells you "This, this, this and this."

The tutor says the same, however, in a classroom, there's the added option of "Excuse me, Sir, but I don't quite understand. Run that through me again please?"

Your comment - to me - basically says "You're unwilling to use tutorials. Get out. We don't care for your alternate methods." - I find that both rude and childish.
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

Of course, fresh ideas are good.. if you have them.. but not, it is not that bad to look a little bit what the others have done... thats the point, better make the 123456th industrial map as a cube map with bad lighting or so...
Until yet you have clearly missed that point.

And the thing with the tutorials: Why should I repeat what is already written down? Why should I make the trouble, when others have already made it? DavidM has written a very good tutorial, many mappers have learned from it, see it something like a norm. But the disussion is senseless. Do what you want, I will close it now.

If you want to use this thread for promotion of your map again, you can PM me and I will open it again.
Thanks for Herr Gabriel for the finish words.

closed
About to be non-active