Map Starting

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Anderson
Average

Map Starting

Post by Anderson »

What do you do to start a map? Do you do kind of a sandbox style where u build a big cube and fill stuff in? Or do you just go little by little, room by room? I ask because im wonder what results best. I find that i cant handle doing it sandbox style because i screw myself over because i dont have ideas. so far ive only just got by, by doing room by room, but i wanna try it sandbox style. So do any of you mappers have any advice on this? thanks
Myth
Inhuman
Personal rank: Low Poly Freak

Re: Map Starting

Post by Myth »

Another way is by first building all the rooms whit out any decoration, so all those rooms are simple cubes. And if you are satisfied whit the layout you decorate it.
I usually use this method combined whit room by room.
(I sometimes build the skybox first :loool: )
Deadmeat
Novice

Post by Deadmeat »

I've found it's pretty important to have a basic idea of the layout before you start, preferably sketched out on a scrap of paper. Then build the basic layout out of simple cubes with minimal texturing and large, point lighting so you can test how it plays (as Myth said above). It's much easier to alter the layout when it's this basic - it can be a real pain if you've built each area in detail as you go then discover you need to shift stuff for whatever reason. I should mention that I've found it abit tougher to keep the motivation going when building the basic layout like this because I keep wanting to add in textures, details and decent lighting as I go - I've given up on a few maps because I got bored doing the basics this way:P

As for big cube vs room by room, I'd generally say only use the big cube if you're designing an outdoor map, if your doing an indoor map it's probably more efficient to do it room by room. I should also note that starting with a big cube can be quite daunting, especially if you haven't really got many ideas, because theres an awful lot of space to fill up once you've first subtracted it.

Hmm ultimately though it depends on what your most comfortable with. Don't struggle to build a map a certain way just because everyone else does it like that. If your not sure try several different approaches and stick with the one you prefer.
Anderson
Average

Post by Anderson »

Nice answers guys. I can honestly say i have no thought about layout what so ever when i make a map(sadly :( ) i just go through and make a whole finished room, then i usually just through a corridor leading somehwere where ever theres an open spot...i simple cant just go through and make the whole geometry part by just boxes...as im not original ><
Herr Gabriel
Novice
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by Herr Gabriel »

If you are building your map room by room, without having a slight idea of how the finished level should look like, than the map will feel odd towards the players. They can then almost feel you had no idea what you wanted to do there.
Feed the trolls.
nelson

Post by nelson »

i'm starting out with a little concept on paper that usually changes 'a bit' to 'drastically' during the actually building of the map in UnrealEd. the way i start building the map depends on that concept.
sometimes i'll even mark spots in the concept where i want to place a specific weapon or other pickup or even create the whole concept around the idea of a nice shieldbelt place or the like.
shakka
Novice

Post by shakka »

I first decide what theme i'm going to use in my map and go room by room allowing enough room for movability as well as for the decorations such as poles supporting the room.