Online Map Testing

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
GenMoKai
Godlike
Personal rank: Mapper

Online Map Testing

Post by GenMoKai »

Online Map Testing

As everyone know maps can preform different during online play. Especialy gametypes like Jailbreak, Monsterhunt or other custom gametypes. I'm not sure that UT99 already has his on Test-Server. Normaly i test maps only with some close people or UT-friends. But i think it would be better so share it!

So what i want to say is i want to offer my own (private) server for people who want to test there maps for online play or "bug-hunting" to check up there are any bugs in his/her map or mods. I dont ask a thing for exchange but remember that im still a student that not always have a free day off for testing. I think i can do 3-4 tests a week during the evening. If not i report if to you (be sure you check up your PM or this topic often)

Of course there are some Rules!
  • -Only for testing only (or ask me that there is time for other things like small 1on1 matches and so)
    -No spamming (or other annoying things)
    -Behave yourself during testing (Almost similar to UT99.org House Rules!)
    -Not more then 3 small maps per person (That includes DeathMatch/CaptureTheFlag/JailBreak/BombingRun/Etc.)
    -Not more then 2 big maps per person (That includes Monsterhunt/Assault/BunnytrackXL/etc.)
    -Not more then 5 people who want to test there maps (Cause everyone want to test there maps)
    -Limit of 9 small maps OR 3 big maps (Or a combination 3 small maps = 1 big map and equal)
    -No limit filesize (but be sure that other people that want to help with testing must have that map to, or else it will take to long for the others)
    -Password changes every time. Even when not testing (So other people can't screw around) so be sure you check up your PM or this topic!
    -Only a small amount of people know the passwords!

I'm still on holiday, So the server isnt online right now. But i want to know what your people think about this idea. Hopefully you agree with it (maybe the rules needed change, but this is it for so far)
EAT THOSE FRIGGIN BANANAS !!!!!
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Re: Online Map Testing

Post by Feralidragon »

It's a good idea and offer :gj:

Well, I won't use it, because I test them in clan servers, but it will be very usefull for other mappers, and now that there's a 2nd Community map pack to finish, a lot of people participating in the project will want this for sure. :mrgreen:
Myth
Inhuman
Personal rank: Low Poly Freak

Post by Myth »

A good idea indeed. I usually test out my maps whit a few friends over the net or lan, but they don't know a thing about mapping. Testing maps whit fellow mappers should make a big difference.
GenMoKai
Godlike

Post by GenMoKai »

Feralidragon wrote:It's a good idea and offer :gj:

Well, I won't use it, because I test them in clan servers, but it will be very usefull for other mappers, and now that there's a 2nd Community map pack to finish, a lot of people participating in the project will want this for sure. :mrgreen:
Well i've got some bad experience with clans... so that is also a reason i started this :) But its NOT only for the 2nd Community mappack :) but for overall. I also inform Shade about it and we are discussing about the idea. Like i said to him. I make a small example list of what i've in mind
Myth wrote:A good idea indeed. I usually test out my maps whit a few friends over the net or lan, but they don't know a thing about mapping. Testing maps whit fellow mappers should make a big difference.
That is also a reason that i started this :) Other mappers CAN give you better feedback/critism (that isnt always bad :P there is also good critism) Like your last egypt style map myth, i also tested it online, in my own server with none around for checking for small bugs. I hope this idea is also fine to other people on this community so i can start my server as soon as possible!
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission
--=PsyXandeR=--
Inhuman
Personal rank: BANANAS

Post by --=PsyXandeR=-- »

OMG Chico, why did you HAX Gen's account, why, Why , WHY???!!??

... ok, sounds like pretty awesome idea Gen. Just watch out for XYZ, I was told he hates everything... so no server pass for him :D
GenMoKai
Godlike

Post by GenMoKai »

--=Aalexanderrr=-- wrote:OMG Chico, why did you HAX Gen's account, why, Why , WHY???!!??

... ok, sounds like pretty awesome idea Gen. Just watch out for XYZ, I was told he hates everything... so no server pass for him :D
LOL Choco wouldn't do that :P but XYZ wasnt a member here? or am i wrong? Even he can test his maps :) so we can critism his maps (but he always uses his own server)
Cardiff
Novice

Post by Cardiff »

Hey peeps,

Just thought i would mention, this sounds similar to something we have been doing over the past few years @ http://www.cwlserver.net.

You can find the UT99 maps we have tested here.

Your welcome to join us, it happens once a week normally (sat's), we also host mod nights every now and then.
GenMoKai
Godlike

Post by GenMoKai »

Cardiff wrote:Hey peeps,

Just thought i would mention, this sounds similar to something we have been doing over the past few years @ http://www.cwlserver.net.

You can find the UT99 maps we have tested here.

Your welcome to join us, it happens once a week normally (sat's), we also host mod nights every now and then.
Dear Cardiff,

This is about UT99.org for his own test server. Not about yours...
I want to give people a opportunity to test there maps private, without people who can download there maps, make some small ajustments and put them on the internet before the original author can release it. Sorry to say, but i dont really appreciate the way you "make commercial" for your server. It maybe sounds very selfish from my mounth. But this is how i notice this thing up. I dont know if other people agree with me yes or no, but i see it this way!

I dont know your site. But i want this server to be for UT99.org people only, only for the members of this great community!

GenMoKai Out!
Cardiff
Novice

Post by Cardiff »

ah ok sorry about that, just thought it would be nice to give you guys the oppertunity to try out the maps on a public. As you say the the one that you are going to do would be a private one for mappers only. The one that we are doing is for the public people. Anyways, hope all goes well with your map testing nights :tu:.
GenMoKai
Godlike

Post by GenMoKai »

@ Cardiff

I've downloaded the "CWL Maptestingpack Week 104" and to my suprise i notice it exist out Old maps and new maps. I also made contact with one of the author (from that VTF-300kDecayedOblivion map: Aalexanderrrr) He told me he never knew his map was on that server.
--=Aalexanderrr=-- wrote:No I didn't do that. It might be possible that they did it by themselves, I was really surprized when I saw my previous 300k map...
Do you ask the authors for permission?! Think about it the maps aren't final yet. Some one can download this map -> Change the author name and get all the credit of the map... Let me know more about it!

GenMoKai Out!
Cardiff
Novice

Post by Cardiff »

I downloaded the version of that map off unreal playground UT downloads section, if you download the file off Unreal Playground, the map in the zip file is dated 29-07-08. The same version as the version of which i downloaded.

If this isnt the correct version then im sorry, but it was the one that was on the public download section of the Unreal Playground webby.

Anyways, again, i dont really want to argue, just want to have fun playing these maps. Sorry again if it seemed as though i was advertising the server.
GenMoKai
Godlike

Post by GenMoKai »

Cardiff wrote:I downloaded the version of that map off unreal playground UT downloads section, if you download the file off Unreal Playground, the map in the zip file is dated 29-07-08. The same version as the version of which i downloaded.

If this isnt the correct version then im sorry, but it was the one that was on the public download section of the Unreal Playground webby.

Anyways, again, i dont really want to argue, just want to have fun playing these maps. Sorry again if it seemed as though i was advertising the server.
@ Cardiff (agian) :roll:

Answer my question... You asked there for permission or not? Or do you let them know that there maps are gonna be tested on the server? Dont talk away from the subject, these things i want to know!

GenMoKai Out! (agian)
Cardiff
Novice

Post by Cardiff »

ahh no, sorry misunderstood, dont normally ask for permission to test the map, but assumed it would be ok, since its only testing them on a server, more for the fun of playing different maps.

Should i ask for permission off mappers to play maps online? since alot of mappers arent around anymore :cry:

Anyways, i can email peeps to ask to play their map on the server, but not sure i will get much responce, i have done so in the past with no reply.
--=PsyXandeR=--
Inhuman
Personal rank: BANANAS

Post by --=PsyXandeR=-- »

After thinking on this matter, I think it is possible to play maps on a server without permission... and provide some feedback also on that matter. There's nothing wrong with it, and that's actually how each server works... Otherwise, we would still play stock UT99 maps online....
GenMoKai
Godlike

Post by GenMoKai »

Cardiff wrote:ahh no, sorry misunderstood, dont normally ask for permission to test the map, but assumed it would be ok, since its only testing them on a server, more for the fun of playing different maps.

Should i ask for permission off mappers to play maps online? since alot of mappers arent around anymore :cry:

Anyways, i can email peeps to ask to play their map on the server, but not sure i will get much responce, i have done so in the past with no reply.
You can play other peoples maps, that isnt a problem, but testing other peoples maps without knowing is a total other thing in my eyes. And about people to ask permission? Maybe the old maps/mappers doesnt answer, but there are plenty of mappers that are still active! Remember that, that 300k map is a active mapper, and the on from the DM-LP-Freezing_Moon is also a active one. If you gonna test meps, let the authors know the critism about there maps and stuff...

Any questions. PM me then!
--=Aalexanderrr=-- wrote:After thinking on this matter, I think it is possible to play maps on a server without permission... and provide some feedback also on that matter. There's nothing wrong with it, and that's actually how each server works... Otherwise, we would still play stock UT99 maps online....
True alex, but still i advise people for testing that they should tell the mappers about testing there maps for critism and stuff... YES i know, i am headstrong :roll:

When people TEST my maps, i want critism/feedback/compliments. When they play the map for fun i dont expect anything from them, only that they have fun :) :wink: