Online Map Testing

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
dynaphase
Average
Personal rank: since99

Re: Online Map Testing

Post by dynaphase »

I must add this:

There our on that cwl net serv was one of mine UNFINISHED MAPS, so ppl actually have a really BAD expirience with it.... i was registered there n leave comment about that. Search for my nickname on that site n all other will be more explained...

I don't planin to critic anyone's work, we all working what we like, but there is one small misunderstunding... i have work on that map for a month... then send to some friends to take look on it... how its finish on your server i really dont care but its UNFINISHED!

So if ANYONE from your stuff try to contact author before UPLOAD a map that would be nice... because now i have bad reviews for a piece of my work and that work was UNFINISHED n i really dont wish to let that officially out there on some reviews n testing labs before its finished!

thank you all 4 understanding.
UT forever
-Feint-
Skilled
Personal rank: Amateur Mapper

Post by -Feint- »

Testaccount wrote:And this is why you should not download a map unless it has ALL the documentation with it. (IE THE README), if there was no readme accompanying it then you should assume the map is UNFINISHED and unsuitable for PUBLIC USE.

If you wish to test the map as GenMoKai said, you should atleast provide some input into how it can be improved.

FINALLY stating that "most mappers are inactive" is a load of crock and bull. If you bothered rightclicking the file and selecting Properties it even gives you a CREATION DATE.

If that creation date is within 2 YEARS theyre still active.

This whole debacle over contacting the AUTHOR is not because of ownership or copyright.
Its over COMMON COURTESY.

As mappers we need to know where our maps are being played and By whom so we can find out vital information for future maps. Information such as what mutators are being used with it frequently, how many players, whether it is used by clans or not.

RIGHT: BACK ON TOPIC!!!!!!!!

I love what you have proffered up here. However as I seem to have an obsession with, sometimes Mappers will spot errors that players won't.

Question though if someone offers up their map for testing on your server do they have to test it themselves? Or can they nominate testers in their stead?

<Mainly refering to myself here> As you know I cannot play online but would love to see my map criticised.
DanomanUK@i4games-Forum wrote:Nah, people bitch one way or another.
You cant win as a mapper ;)
dynaphase
Average

Post by dynaphase »

I was talking about another site... not UT99dotORG !
UT forever
-Feint-
Skilled
Personal rank: Amateur Mapper

Post by -Feint- »

Testaccount wrote:
dynaphase wrote:I was talking about another site... not UT99dotORG !
I know. :D Its just that common courtesy works everywhere :) Sorry for the confusion.
DanomanUK@i4games-Forum wrote:Nah, people bitch one way or another.
You cant win as a mapper ;)
ValiantKnight
Novice
Personal rank: [GoC]

Post by ValiantKnight »

I cant understand why you give Cardiff so much stick. He isnt recklessly advertising for another site for personal gain. CWL been running for quite some time and rated more than thousand maps. Theres few sites that run a community service like that, especially in this sun set age of UT99.

I can see that you as map creators want feedback on your maps known to you. But to be totally honest there is simply not enough time to contact each and every mapper infront of each weeks map testing event.

We test all maps that we get our hands on, old and new ones, some vary in how finished they look/play; Basically we cant be certain if a map is final or alpha/beta from content of the zip file alone. We get maps from public sites such as Nali et al. If you have a map publically available on such a site, it will be probably be downloaded and tested sooner or later.

If you have maps rated that where unfinished, why not put up your finished map for testing at CWL?

Maps are rated from the players perspective and most of us aren't mappers. If we find blatant BSP errors, or teleporters that wont work, we will surely comment on that. However, we wont comment most of the time if there where a misaligned texture here and there. But if you've created a real looker of a map we will sure comment on that.

Lets keep it friendly. UT99 is a nice community service, CWL try to drag their straw to the stack.
GenMoKai
Godlike
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by GenMoKai »

ValiantKnight wrote:I cant understand why you give Cardiff so much stick. He isnt recklessly advertising for another site for personal gain. CWL been running for quite some time and rated more than thousand maps. Theres few sites that run a community service like that, especially in this sun set age of UT99.

I can see that you as map creators want feedback on your maps known to you. But to be totally honest there is simply not enough time to contact each and every mapper infront of each weeks map testing event.

We test all maps that we get our hands on, old and new ones, some vary in how finished they look/play; Basically we cant be certain if a map is final or alpha/beta from content of the zip file alone. We get maps from public sites such as Nali et al. If you have a map publically available on such a site, it will be probably be downloaded and tested sooner or later.

If you have maps rated that where unfinished, why not put up your finished map for testing at CWL?

Maps are rated from the players perspective and most of us aren't mappers. If we find blatant BSP errors, or teleporters that wont work, we will surely comment on that. However, we wont comment most of the time if there where a misaligned texture here and there. But if you've created a real looker of a map we will sure comment on that.

Lets keep it friendly. UT99 is a nice community service, CWL try to drag their straw to the stack.
*Sigh* Agian...

The test server is for giving people feedback directly to there created map(s)... Mappers know more then normal players, it sounds harsh...We try also to look at gameplay, for improvements etc... I know you people want to help AFTER the maps are finished... like NaliCity and UnrealPlaygrounds... but this is before the final release...Questions just PM me

GenMoKai OUT
EAT THOSE FRIGGIN BANANAS !!!!!
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission
ValiantKnight
Novice
Personal rank: [GoC]

Post by ValiantKnight »

Im a noob map creator myself, but i dont have any ambitions of ever learning the trade fully so. I got my hands full with kids, work and playing the game when i have an hour or two free of responsibilites.

FYI: We do test unfinished maps, privately and on the server to provide feedback for the mapper. This is done when there is a need for it. The feedback is given back to the author, but not in terms of a rate on cwlserver.net but rather in a personal pm/email.

What CWL officially do each saturday at 20uk/21cet is testing maps from the players point of view.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Well, then that changes everything around here. A simple player view is also very good, even because generally there simple players have more skill than a mapper, and can give us feedback in that matter: gameplay.

While mappers have the eye candy, archi and light view of things, players can give us the gameplay view of things. Then you have just to see both and try to get better somehow in the 2 fields.

Thanks for the info Valiant :tu:
dynaphase
Average

Post by dynaphase »

Same situation here about family job n UT and so on, and I still didn't receive any help in a form of a review or conversation or whatever about my maps from anyone anytime :p

Also get a lot of ppl who downloaded, maybe play it, then have nothing to tell me about playground n layout n gameplay or what they think about its important...

And that is just another part of the live of the mapper :p

br
Dynaphase
UT forever
Myth
Inhuman
Personal rank: Low Poly Freak

Post by Myth »

And that is just another part of the life. And let the FFF (fight for feedback) begin.
@GenMoKai: So if I have a map that needs to be tested, is the server ready?
dynaphase
Average

Post by dynaphase »

yea lets begin, or its going to be a ww3 :satan:
UT forever
--=PsyXandeR=--
Inhuman
Personal rank: BANANAS

Post by --=PsyXandeR=-- »

This topic is going nowhere. Have no idea about the others around here but I really respect and appreciate what Cardiff and you guys doing. Seriously I really do. You guys have actually played several of my maps and I'm quite grateful for that! :)

About that copyright thing.... hell, what stops you ( Gen and others ) from visiting that website and checking out the feedback they provide instead of just complaining? As long as they don't claim mapper's work as their own ( and I doubt that it would ever happen ) it is fine to play it on a server and provide feedback. It is not stealing or something. If you think it is, well, you probably shouldn't release any maps then, as according to you, simple downloading, playing on the server and commenting can be classified as stealing. I find that quite... wrong. I really do.

I can go futher if you want but I doubt that you ever do.