Modifying UAX files - easy way

Search and find cool Voicepacks, Sounds and Music or show us your own ones!
darkmenace
Novice

Modifying UAX files - easy way

Post by darkmenace »

Hi all

A friend and I have spent hours trawling forums and reading up on how to do this without success. We want to add a few custom voices/taunts to UT 99. We have tried unrealed without much success, despite following all the directions.

What we are after, if such a beast exists, is an application that can not only extract WAV files from UT UAX files, but also add or rename WAV files in an existing UAX file. Basically like what one can do to the contents of a ZIP file in WINZIP/WINRAR.

Does anybody know of such an app? I tried Dragon Unpacker, but that only lets you extract WAVs, not import wavs or do any other modifications to a UAX.

Thanks in advance.
DM
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Modifying UAX files - easy way

Post by papercoffee »

You have to make a separate uax file ...to change the default one leads to mismatch if you try to play online.

And btw. wrong section.
Moved!
UT Sniper (SJA94)
Inhuman
Personal rank: Retard

Post by UT Sniper (SJA94) »

You can do it but do it 1 file at a time, i made a UT3 Announcer , Announcer.uax about a year ago now, works online and offline, you have to name everything the same as what was in there, the same amount of files ect, then it will work online and offline. If the sounds are in a .u you can't do any think to them.

first version
http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/utfi ... JA_UT3.zip

second version

http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/utfi ... update.zip

to see what you can do.

i think the audio editor i used was freemake or some think like that, but not 100% sure.
And i used Dvdvideosoft Audio dub, you can edit the length of sounds in it.

1. Open Ued.
2. Open the .uax file in the sound browser.
3. Extract all the sounds you want to a folder.
4. Convert the sounds you want to replace them with, to the right format.
5. Name them the same as the sound file you want to replace. ((doublekill.wav) test.wav -> doublekill.wav)
6. delete the sounds you want to replace in ued's sounds browser, and then import the sounds into the package(in the sound browser). Make sure everything is named the same, same amount of files, if one letter is different it will not work online.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

darkmenace
Novice

Post by darkmenace »

Thanks for the replies guys. We couldn't get PlayThis to work under Windows 7 (Runtime error), but it worked fine under a XP VM, so have had success creating a voicepack now.

The only thing is, despite following all the instructions, I have not been able to get it so users connecting to my hosted UT game automatically receive it and can hear the custom taunts etc.... Not sure yet what the story is there.
Ozma777
Average

Post by Ozma777 »

So if I edit the sounds of the male or female player so that the gun sounds and all other player sounds (jump land swim breath taunt etc) are so low in volume that the sound volume has to be at max before you can barely hear them. And then reimport it will work online also?
I just like the sounds of some maps but the player sounds are so much louder, I would love to play BT-easybunny with modded player sounds so shooting or jumping is barely audible but the ambient sounds are loud. And will this also affect the way you hear other players' sounds (unless they have custom skin/model)?