Music Conversion Win 7

Search and find cool Voicepacks, Sounds and Music or show us your own ones!
Acid.OMG
Adept
Personal rank: XFIRE: mmmmtoasty

Music Conversion Win 7

Post by Acid.OMG »

Any idea if there is a tutorial for windows 7. Because I used to convert music but you need the sound recorder which is not the same as win 7

Does anyone know how or possibly can do it for me
[/Awesome]
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Re: Music Conversion Win 7

Post by Chamberly »

Some guys from {dFb} know how to do stuff since they are all into it.
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

for conversion to .umx : try this (replace .mp3 with .wav) for other options.
for conversion to .uax : try this

for general conversion's & cutting / sound effects use : Audacity
then use the above links to find appropriate tool to convert to .umx/.uax

:tu:
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Your question is rather vague, as the topic of conversion is massive.
Converting to and from different formats will require different software depending on the use you have for it.

Winamp is excellent for general conversion of almost any format into something useful. Just "right-click" and "send to" "format converter"
Audacity with the LAME and FFMPEG libraries, will allow you to open and edit almost anything.

If you require to convert files for UT, then that is a whole different thing.
http://my.opera.com/Unreal-Tournament/b ... umx-format

No matter what Windows you use the tutorials will be the same, for the same software. The borders of the windows will just look different.
Acid.OMG
Adept

Post by Acid.OMG »

Dr.Flay wrote:Your question is rather vague, as the topic of conversion is massive.
Converting to and from different formats will require different software depending on the use you have for it.

Winamp is excellent for general conversion of almost any format into something useful. Just "right-click" and "send to" "format converter"
Audacity with the LAME and FFMPEG libraries, will allow you to open and edit almost anything.

If you require to convert files for UT, then that is a whole different thing.
http://my.opera.com/Unreal-Tournament/b ... umx-format

No matter what Windows you use the tutorials will be the same, for the same software. The borders of the windows will just look different.

All the tutorials I have used in the passed require you to convert mp3 to wav and then go into sound recorder and change it to 11bit mono or something like that which you can't do with win7 sound recorder

ex.
http://www.planetdeusex.com/heliowalton ... to-Umx.htm

[/Awesome]
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

That's because most of the ancient tutorials are the same 2, posted around.
Most of the waffle in those tutorials is not important, and with so many steps it is not surprising people have no idea what they have done when they finish.
Once you understand what you are doing, you can do it with any program you prefer.

Reducing the quality using the old methods, uses Windows own basic crappy algorithms.
Even if you can access that dialogue, you should avoid it.
The rendering options available in any decent editing program are always preferable.

That is also why I decided to show how to do it all in Audacity with a modern tutorial, that made sure the file was as good quality as possible. No other tutorial shows you how to check for "clipping", and no other tutorial explains each bit, and why you are doing it.
It is split in 2 sections 1) dealing with your audio file. 2) creating the UMX module.

My 3 page tutorial also comes in a range of formats including PDF, so can be opened and printed with everything.

To be honest, as mentioned elsewhere in the forum, UT can handle 16 bit stereo files, but they are massive.
Acid.OMG
Adept

Post by Acid.OMG »

I went ahead and followed the audacity tutorial and it worked perfectly
[/Awesome]