GlobalUnreal's First Annual Mapmaking Competition!

Discussions about Events and Tournaments
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Once again, this is another UT99 post for those who want to be involved.
See all of the details here!: http://www.globalunreal.com/forums/view ... =12&t=1511
:rock:
ASLY

Re: GlobalUnreal's First Annual Mapmaking Competition!

Post by ASLY »

Finally a contest, but sadly I don't have to much time to making a map :(
Radi
Adept

Post by Radi »

Funny. They do not allow custom actors (only stock ones) but maps must be for iCTF which is not a stock gameplay and even I first heard about iCTF . . They want as much new quality maps as possible but in the same time they drastically reduce amount of mappers who will to join.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Radi wrote:Funny. They do not allow custom actors (only stock ones) but maps must be for iCTF which is not a stock gameplay and even I first heard about iCTF..
iCTF is basicly regular CTF with the instagib mutator on, quite popular. The no custom actor rule bothers me too because most of the maps that play great in iCTF USE custom actors (talking about the w00t maps, they use swJumppad actors), Chamberly posted about those actors for me (yes, I'm probably competing), so let's see...

EDIT: reply from the organiser:
TimTim wrote:Common custom actors like that are okay, just no brand new actors coded specifically for the map.
Yay! I can use the pads. :mrgreen:
Chamberly
Godlike

Post by Chamberly »

Radi wrote:Funny. They do not allow custom actors (only stock ones) but maps must be for iCTF which is not a stock gameplay and even I first heard about iCTF . . They want as much new quality maps as possible but in the same time they drastically reduce amount of mappers who will to join.
The thing is, he is asking for it (default/stock) because he is working on Newnet (kind of like UTPure & ZP but different coding process.) I can think of the reason why he don't want any custom actors to work on because he don't want to work on Newnet to make them work exactly as the custom actor should do if it break something or whatever. Since he is only doing this for Global Unreal I guess because when Newnet get ready for release, maps would be with it. So it can be a sign that he will be done coding for Newnet! lol. But hey I may be wrong. :loool:
Radi
Adept

Post by Radi »

Ooh my bad. Thanks for explanation :) I thinking of join but I have own projects and none of these is CTF for now :) eh on time for competition :) Im still too thin in mapping. GEx, good luck if you join :) Im wish you a first prize of course ! ;)
KingJosh
Skilled

Post by KingJosh »

no entry from me im busy trying to fix kingjosh city glitches :lol2: . Me and unreal editor have not been getting along lately :loool:
RocketJedi
Inhuman
Personal rank: I.T Master

Post by RocketJedi »

and if no one donates your prize will be 0.. im sorry 50% of 0
https://www.vulpinemission.com
Image ROCKET-X8 Server
Image MONSTERHUNT w/ NALI WEAPONS 3 + RX8
Image BUNNYTRACK NY
Image SNIPER DEATHMATCH
Image InstaGib + ComboGib + Jailbreak
Image ROSEBUM ROCKET-X RB
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Post by TheDane »

Qwerty wrote:and if no one donates your prize will be 0.. im sorry 50% of 0

... and even though the competition is rolling, they still allow the percentages to be changed. hmmm .... I'm not participating though I'm fiddling with mapping right now, but if I was, it would be essential to me that the rules where set B4 the competition was started.

And the custom actor stuff i simply don't get, why? Some are allowed but you may not use custom ones? What if i add an allowed one to the map and then edit and recompile the script within the Ueditor to fit my needs? It will still be the same actor but with changes to it.......... hmmm...... Either only allow Epic's UT actors or all actors. If there is another agenda to it, then post it, after all the mappers are doing the hard work here, not those who host the competition. And 6 weeks... hmmm .... maybe if I didn't have a family, job and other interests I would be able to make a decent map in that period :loool:
Retired.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Cham, would you tell TimTim to activate my account at GlobalUnreal? I've been waiting for quite a while now :wth:
Chamberly
Godlike

Post by Chamberly »

TheDane wrote:And the custom actor stuff i simply don't get, why? Some are allowed but you may not use custom ones? What if i add an allowed one to the map and then edit and recompile the script within the Ueditor to fit my needs? It will still be the same actor but with changes to it.......... hmmm...... Either only allow Epic's UT actors or all actors. If there is another agenda to it, then post it, after all the mappers are doing the hard work here, not those who host the competition. And 6 weeks... hmmm .... maybe if I didn't have a family, job and other interests I would be able to make a decent map in that period :loool:
I already mentioned why (See previous posts.) If you want to make your own map with custom actors and stuffs, you are free to do it but it won't be in the competition. If that is not enough to answer you, talk to TimTim then. lol.

GEx, I just left him a message. ;)
Edit: I think he just activated your account. Try now.
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

GEx wrote:Cham, would you tell TimTim to activate my account at GlobalUnreal? I've been waiting for quite a while now :wth:
likewise activate me too, please :D contest falls right in my vacation, so i'll see about kicking out a fast & furious LP gameplay map :rock:
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
Chamberly
Godlike

Post by Chamberly »

FragNbrag, you should be activated. :mrgreen:

Re TheDane:
Also, I saw TheDane's post on UT99.org. Regarding the percentages, they're set in stone now that we know there will be enough prize money to go around. And as for his comments about the custom actors, that rule exists mainly for security reasons. Plus, I can't think of a single map in our rotation here at GU that uses anything out of the ordinary. If you're relying on some gimmicky addition to the map rather than focusing on map flow and gameplay mechanics, you almost certainly won't win the competition! Please relay this info to TheDane at UT99.org.
~TimTim