Tutorials on Mod Making

Lessons and tutorials about mods and maps
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Re: Tutorials on Mod Making

Post by Dr.Flay »

I can only assume he is being sarcastic :noidea
"Actions peak louder than words" (and this site is action-packed).

...in other news ! I can't quite get over how quietly the legendary Wormbo arrived :shock:
Hello you wriggly old fart, welcome to the a jolly nice forum :mrgreen:
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Thanks Ferali, I'm looking forward to your tutorials. :)
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Dr.Flay wrote:I can only assume he is being sarcastic :noidea
Who do you mean?
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

papercoffee wrote:
Dr.Flay wrote:I can only assume he is being sarcastic :noidea
Who do you mean?
He means the "dkremod" guy. And no, he wasn't being sarcastic, this sort of thing goes way back to year(s) ago.
This guy had all of his youtube accounts banned (and I know it because every time he started a new one because of that I had to block it, including the one he's advertising in his signature), and still he still keeps having imaginary conversations with me and Fluke in his channel and video comments, besides having tons of incredibly racist videos and being one of those crazy conspiracy theorists.
Adding to that, he was caught cheating (aimbots and the sort), besides doing other shady stuff, and this whole thing started when he stole Fluke's RX perhaps 1 or 2 years ago.
Adding further to that, it seems he stole from and harassed others developers as well (from his old youtube accounts back in the day he was actively harassing us as well).
He's banned from HoF ever since (and perhaps other places, idk).
As I mentioned, just take a quick look at his link, and you will know how far off this guy is from the real world.

I just didn't ban him from here so far so people see who this guy really is first, and wouldn't he show his face around here, probably I wouldn't even remember about him anymore, but he insists in keeping at it times to times and reminding me and Fluke of his existence... this guy is even worse than Kaal...
Wormbo
Adept

Post by Wormbo »

Feralidragon wrote:this guy is even worse than Kaal...
That's quite an achievement!
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Wormbo wrote:
Feralidragon wrote:this guy is even worse than Kaal...
That's quite an achievement!
I was amazed as well...
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Re: Tutorials on .. Trigonometry?

Post by Wises »

Feralidragon wrote:It's like teaching trigonometry without explaining what's a cathetus or a hypotenuse on a rectangle triangle.
just wondering if you could maybe provide a lesson in this at some point.. as it seems more and more important and relevant to all things unreal ;)
please. :gj:

Maybe we can start with ;
To help you to better understand when to use the forms Sin-Cos-Tan you can use SOH CAH TOA....
SOH:Sin is used when given the opposite and the hypotenuse [Sinx = Opposite/Hypothenuse]
CAH:Cos is used when given the adjacent and the hypotenuse [CosX=Adjacent/Hypothenuse]
TOA:Tan is used when given the opposite and adjacent [TanX= opposite / Adjacent]

for eg. If you are given a triangle where the two significantly shorter sides are given and you wish to obtain the longest side termed the hypotenuse, you recognize that it satisfies the terms necessary to use the either the SOH or CAH form; You therefore proceed to identify which is the adjacent and which is the opposite. The opposite, which is clearly identifiable due to its name, is the side which is directly OPPOSITE the given angle.The adjacent is therefore the side which forms a 90° angle to the opposite.
For eg. purposes, the given angle is 45°. So you then proceed to imply due to the SOH form that Sin45= opposite divided by the hypotenuse. In order for you to obtain the hypotenuse we transpose for the hypotenuse to become the subject of the formula. By cross multiplying we obtain the formula:
Hypotenuse = Opposite divided by Sin45.
https://www.khanacademy.org/math/trigon ... igonometry
:)
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Well, tbh I don't know exactly what I can explain about this other than the quote you already provided, since that's pretty much everything someone needs to know.
Maybe just saying that the dot product of 2 vectors is the cosine of the inner angle between them, as so:
cos(a) = Vector1 dot Vector2
... but yeah, everyone should know the trigonometry basics when dealing with 2D and 3D stuff.

Perhaps the hard part for people is not exactly understanding the trigonometry itself, but rather when, where and how to apply it in practice.
For instance, I guess your post comes as a followup on that post I made in Torax topic on how he could calculate where exactly he should spawn a trajectory pass-by sound.
In that case scenario, one has to imagine the rectangle triangle associating all points to first identify what you have to calculate and the steps to take (I don't mean numbers, I mean imagine the whole thing in 3D space). Although that case was perhaps not that hard, there are cases where 1 triangle is not enough, but rather something you need to work with 2 or 3 triangles and associate them, and this is the tricky part.

For example: my Ionizer has a launcher from where the rocket with the satellite in it takes off. If you make the experiment of spawning that station in a normal floor and then in a slope, you see that the station base compensates the height by matching the highest point in the slope, so it never gets half sunk.
This is achieved with pure trigonometry, by taking the slope normal into account and the radius of the station.

Each case is each case, essentially, and it all goes down to the identification of the rectangle triangle(s) you need to visualize and their components. From there, it's just a matter of following the recipe in the quote you just posted, and all is good.
Wises
Godlike

Post by Wises »

Yes actually it was in ref to torax's post.

Something I should have learned years ago.

In terms of application.. I guess is what iam looking for.. as an example.
Perhaps how to use it in-game.. or something.

Like for trajectory etc.

Cheers.
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

It's kinda hard to give an example out of the bat, since it's mostly a matter when all the info you have about some given situation is:
- the magnitude of a vector and its angle, or;
- the magnitude of a vector and the direction of another vector relative that one (which in the end gives you the angle above, more or less);
and then you want to calculate another vector or at least its magnitude (and the reverse is also true: you can get any of the other data by just having 2 of their components).

I can however maybe manage to create an image from a UT screenshot so you can visualize what was mentioned in the Torax post, and also perhaps explain the Ionizer base one (which could be relevant to games like Siege for example, where a building position may be important relative the surface).
Wises
Godlike

Post by Wises »

^if you find the time that would be awesome.