Tutorials on Mod Making

Lessons and tutorials about mods and maps
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Re: Tutorials on Mod Making

Post by Feralidragon »

^ Those will come too, but in a later stage (replication is one of the last things I will cover, since to understand replication, one must be somewhat comfortable already with the engine).
Also I am still thinking in how I should approach this one properly to make it look simple enough without getting confusing along the way.
But trust me on this, replication is far simpler than it looks, it just was never explained properly by anyone afaik.
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Jumping on the track. Interesting things so far. :)
SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF}
Adept

Post by SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF} »

Feralidragon wrote:^ Those will come too, but in a later stage (replication is one of the last things I will cover, since to understand replication, one must be somewhat comfortable already with the engine).
Also I am still thinking in how I should approach this one properly to make it look simple enough without getting confusing along the way.
But trust me on this, replication is far simpler than it looks, it just was never explained properly by anyone afaik.
Well by the time you get to that tutorial I'll most likely have replication sorted out but still look forward to the read.
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

perhaps for the sake of these guys 10miles down the track.. you could do the replication tutorial first for then ferali no big deal to us nubs bro.. we will just totally understand it by time you actually get there.. i seen a few links to some stuff on it in wormbos sig over the road.
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

The thing is, you have to learn how to walk before you can run. Many people who don't understand replication, also do not understand the very basic things of the engine (I saw this a lot), no matter what each one says, results speak louder than words and that's what I see.
If I skip steps now, things will get very confusing for plenty of people, and I will spend more time clearing things up rather than write more tutorials.
It's like teaching trigonometry without explaining what's a cathetus or a hypotenuse on a rectangle triangle.
Whereas if I make the other tutorials first, people will understand replication better.

Lately I didn't add any tutorials because I have been working several hours at work and had absolutely no time for anything UT related (optimizing code and queries to lower the load on servers, and finishing a beta for an event for next week), but starting next week I may be able to write more and eventually reach the replication ones. I am still thinking on the best way to approach the next subjects without stretching the bar too much for new developers.
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Just dropping in what's planned for the next lessons (warning: this is still suitable to changes, but for now this is how I am planning them):

LESSON 6 - UnrealScript: Functions
LESSON 7 - UnrealScript: Operators
LESSON 8 - UnrealScript: Modifiers
LESSON 9 - UnrealScript: States
LESSON 10 - UnrealScript: Default properties
LESSON 11 - UnrealScript: Exec directives
LESSON 12 - Hierarchy and Heritage
LESSON 13 - UnrealEngine: classes you must know
LESSON 14 - UnrealEngine: functions you must know
LESSON 15 - Your first inventory
LESSON 16 - Your first weapon
LESSON 17 - Your first replacement mutator
LESSON 18 - Replication: Concept
LESSON 19 - Replication: Roles
LESSON 20 - Replication: Simulation
LESSON 21 - Replication: Relevancy
LESSON 22 - Replication: Conclusion
LESSON 23 - Security basics
(and more)
The_Cowboy
Skilled
Personal rank: Codezilla

Post by The_Cowboy »

Waiting for lesson 23 :D...........
Feralidragon wrote:Trial and error is sometimes better than any tutorial, because we learn how it works for ourselfs, which kills any doubts about anything :tu:
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/FreeandOpen
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

The_Cowboy wrote:Waiting for lesson 23 :D...........
Don't expect a whole ton of stuff though. There I am just going to explain the basic security concepts and good practices when doing new mods to avoid exploits and cheating through a mod alone.
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Just a quick update on this: whoever is wondering about the sudden lack of new tutorials/lessons, it's because I postponed this to after I release the final version of my mod.
The final version has only 2 things left to do: finish the docs (pdf ones, half done) and add a new weapon to it, so I prefer to focus on these first and get them over with, and them properly focus in the tutorials, so I can release them more quickly and perhaps make them a little better.

Having to decide where to put my "UT time" (mod or tutorials) has been rather troublesome, since I want to release the final version asap, but also wanted to be consistent on the frequency of new tutorials, and I concluded that I couldn't do both at the same time, so I prioritized the mod over the tutorials as it's already in the final stages and since I am writing docs for it, it's a good practice on how I should write my next tutorials too.
Rakiayn
Masterful

Post by Rakiayn »

great job so far!
if you reach the replication part I will take another shot at my mod.
Wormbo
Adept

Post by Wormbo »

If all tat prevents you from continuing is an introduction to replication, try my article about that topic. I also wrote one about security considerations. I know my articles lack examples, but I tried to concentrate on the necessary background information instead.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Wormbo wrote:If all tat prevents you from continuing is an introduction to replication, try my article about that topic. I also wrote one about security considerations. I know my articles lack examples, but I tried to concentrate on the necessary background information instead.
Hey, welcome to the forum.
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Yes, my other projects are preventing me to write something up on this (and other subjects which I think should be known before even messing with replication), so if anyone is able to write something up or has written already, it's more than welcome to post it here.
Both of those are a really good read on things, and anyone into replication or security (or both) should look into those.
dkremod
Novice
Personal rank: DESTROYER

Post by dkremod »

lol...anything ferali can do,

i can do better... gnah gnah.
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

dkremod wrote:lol...anything ferali can do,

i can do better... gnah gnah.
Please post some original work of yours, instead of "remoding" mine or Fluke's (as you call it) or stfu. :wink:
If you came here to harass me or anyone as you have been doing since years ago, your stay will be cut short.
And don't go offtopic.

For the rest people wondering, follow his youtube link that he so gladly advertises in his signature so you know what kind of guy he actually is.