Random Map Name Generator v2.0.1

External tools, software and sites for creating or editing UT99 resources.
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Random Map Name Generator v2.0.1

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Crossposting from Doomworld:
Hello all of Doomworld! Today I made a cool random map generator OBLIGE-inspired written in Python. It obviously needs the Python 2.x interpreter to run, but you can find it here.

For confidence, here is a preview of what it can generate with high parameters -- IN ONE SECOND!

To use it, simply edit the Input.INI file that comes with it.
The parameter:
  • MinNumberOfWords - determines how many words each name will have.
  • Names - determines how many names to be generated. If this is too high, then it'll be cut because for some reason Python can't write large files. :/
  • ThemeNumber - The number of the theme to be used. Theme number...
  • 1 - Tech
  • 2 - Hell
  • 3 - Outdoors
  • 4 - Marble
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
Forum|User
Experienced

Re: Random Map Name Generator v2.0.1

Post by Forum|User »

This site is for UT, not for Doom... Im getting tired of shitty posts and topics, can I block this somehow?
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Forum|User wrote:This site is for UT, not for Doom... Im getting tired of shitty posts and topics, can I block this somehow?
Click on his userneame ...it's right in the middle. :wink:
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Huh? This map generator works for any map for any game.
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Gustavo6046 wrote:Huh? This map generator works for any map for any game.
Why should we use a random name generator? Do you think mapper are not imaginative enough?
Just asking...
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

papercoffee wrote:Why should we use a random name generator? Do you think mapper are not imaginative enough?
For those of us that wanna name every map "Fred".
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Just because it generates hilarious names. :) Remember nobody saw the preview yet!

Weapon of Destruction
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

What did ya miss ?
Forum Name ? Off-Topic Section ? Sudden Needs Un-Needed ? Did you have been fired out of Doom forums ?
:mrgreen:

If I don't have imagination for a Map-Name I put some small packed papers inside a Hat having words written on each of them. Then I'm starting lottery... or...

Else If I'm working at a map for sure I can imagine some Environment, and then I'm choosing a name dependent on that ambient or similar, Unless I want a dumb name "DM-3576343AAG.unr" LOL. :loool:
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

sektor2111 wrote:What did ya miss ?
Forum Name ? Off-Topic Section ? Sudden Needs Un-Needed ? Did you have been fired out of Doom forums ?
:mrgreen:

If I don't have imagination for a Map-Name I put some small packed papers inside a Hat having words written on each of them. Then I'm starting lottery... or...

Else If I'm working at a map for sure I can imagine some Environment, and then I'm choosing a name dependent on that ambient or similar, Unless I want a dumb name "DM-3576343AAG.unr" LOL. :loool:
You forgot to mention, that you can hammer your head on the keyboard to get very formidable names. This works for Passwords as well... smash 4 times your head on keyboard and you got the best hack prove PW ever :ironic:
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

papercoffee wrote:smash 4 times your head on keyboard and you got the best hack prove PW ever
Do I have to repeat that every time I log on? :omfg:
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Barbie wrote:
papercoffee wrote:smash 4 times your head on keyboard and you got the best hack prove PW ever
Do I have to repeat that every time I log on? :omfg:
You could copy the password into a text file before registering, then each time you log in you insert the file path in the password field. If only such a thing were possible...

Weapon of Destruction
Wormbo
Adept

Post by Wormbo »

Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

C'mon, what can go wrong? :mrgreen:

Weapon of Destruction