Is there such a tool for arranging files?

External tools, software and sites for creating or editing UT99 resources.
Pileyrei
Masterful
Personal rank: UT Survivor

Is there such a tool for arranging files?

Post by Pileyrei »

Lets say you have 100 maps to add to a server.
Some maps have textures, music,etc files. Some maps are just the map file.

I like to play the map first befor uploading it.
This nomally means unzip the file and manually copy the files to System, Maps, Music,etc folders.
Not a problem for a few maps but if you have 100 maps to try it can take forever!

Rather than manually unzip a map, copy the files to your installation and then test/check it out, is there a clever tool that can automatically move umx files to a Music folder, utx to Textures etc?

A clever tool that sorts the fils to the correct folders so that all is ready to upload?

Hope this makes sense?! :oops:

Piley

Our Server

[donate][/donate]
Donate to UT99.org!
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Re: Is there such a tool for arranging files?

Post by Chamberly »

Not any that I know of does all of this automatically. I know how to do it manually search by map's dependencies and then collect them and upload them myself. Or just download it from a host somewhere that have it all packed and then just upload it myself.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

The only tool I know that sorts the files is the cache cleaner but it only sorts the stuff in you cache... :|
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Well I was told one of the program [ZoM] Map manager was able to upload the map and it's file dependencies to the server but you have to do it by the program's connection but I can't ever figure out how to get it to work. No documentation.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I'm not very sure if such a tool it's helpful or the mostly useless. As admin, you have to check maps before adding them and not dropping them in server like from a truck.
Of course if you know them and you don't need a check, things are not that hard - is PC operating. Unzip all files into a single folder, then using a normal "File Commander" or a BAT command you can copy all UTX to Textures or another folder and so on with the rest. Next move is... moving files in server's Path.

Code: Select all

copy C:\Storage\UTX\*.utx C:\ServerUT\DMServer\Textures\
then deleting utx files from Storage folder.
As long as you are using "explorers" and methods keeping you "blind" from seeing details you won't figure when things are wrong (0 size - small size) and you are limited in selecting stuff. Those Free Commander type are able to build list with file names from a type, you can know exactly how many UTX files you have and other sort of files. By pasting list into a TXT doc you can easily morph file into a bat command. All these file handling operations are not taking that much time if you did not do your first server build. Give me 100 Zip files with maps and I'll spread them recreating 1 main pack archived with Folders as they are used by UT: System, Textures, Sounds, etc.
By combining 7zip file manager with a smarty FreeCommander and if you are moving fast you can unzip 100 files in a few seconds, then scanning with Free Commander "*.unr", getting list in a TAB and moving all of them to another folder named Maps, doing the same with Textures and the rest. All depends on computer speed (HDD speed).
Once spread through folders now you can create a single archive - a "map_pack" so to speak. Such a wrapping tool for UT is useless as you can see, it won't help in detecting occurrences (multiple textures named identically, etc.) messing up server's functionality.
Pileyrei
Masterful
Personal rank: UT Survivor

Post by Pileyrei »

Thanks for the replies.

I know there could be file mismatches etc.
Once I've tested a map, I copy the files to the another folder which will need to be uploaded. But this takes a very long time with lots of maps and can be tedious to do.

I have to upload the files to my server provider so it all needs to be nicely sorted including redirect files.

I'm going to see if I can make some sort of script to help.
I would manually unzip everything to a folder. Inside that folder would be the Maps, System, Textures and Music folders (and maybe a Duplicates or Others folder)
The script would move .unr to Maps folder, .u to System, .umx to Music and .utx to Textures in one simple click.
If duplicate file name found, move to a Duplicates folder

Maybe this type of "tool" would not be useful for others but it would definitely help me.

Thanks again.

Our Server

[donate][/donate]
Donate to UT99.org!
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

With 7zip you can select 20 archives. They are extracted using folder-name criteria - when you hit "extract" button. There is also a file tool - WinDupe - or such - and maybe other as well. This one can find duplicate files in certain location/folder. There is a bit of work to do because at this moment I don't know an application able to do everything correctly as an UT server needs. After getting structure you can compress them using wildcards: *.unr - even new lzma compression supports wildcard. For uploading stuff there is nothing better that a dedicated application for uploading files, Let me quote WINSCP, Deepak suggested me this one, and I really don't need other tools for transferring things, for web stuff has even an internal txt editor, saving file immediately to server during session. Apps which I have mention doesn't take a half of HDD space they are handy and small.

Take in account that files like ChicoRuinsPack are a nasty deal and those Quake textures as well, where 2-3 guys did the same named file but utterly different each-other as structure - generic naming dumbness. NO application at this moment is able to deal with these problems because, as Higor said, we need to conform files which I did not see this at any sort of UT Tool and not even tutorials How To.

Conclusion: Yes, building a server needs attention and a bit of time, and losing files by accident is a pretty bad thing.