Can't save Default Properties in UnrealEd.

External tools, software and sites for creating or editing UT99 resources.
Ross_R
Novice

Can't save Default Properties in UnrealEd.

Post by Ross_R »

Hello and good time of the day to everyone.

Thing is, I've decided to make myself a simple mod and swap one of the teams in ladder with Metal Guard. It all looks fairly simple, but I have one major problem: UnrealEd doesn't save anything.
So, I'm going:
View -> ActorClassBrowser
Info -> RatedTeamInfo -> RatedTeamInfo4 (RC) Default Properties
I edit stuff there, and I press Save Selected Packages, but as long as I close UnrealEd, everything returns to its initial state. I'm fairly sure that I'm just stupid as hell, so, please, tell me what I must click to save it correctly.

Win 7 64-bit, but I tried it under Win XP 32-bit (real one, not virtual). Same results.

Thanks.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Can't save Default Properties in UnrealEd.

Post by papercoffee »

Ross_R wrote: Thing is, I've decided to make myself a simple mod and swap one of the teams in ladder with Metal Guard. It all looks fairly simple, but I have one major problem: UnrealEd doesn't save anything.
So, I'm going:
View -> ActorClassBrowser
Info -> RatedTeamInfo -> RatedTeamInfo4 (RC) Default Properties
I edit stuff there, and I press Save Selected Packages, but as long as I close UnrealEd, everything returns to its initial state.
Well, that's because ...that's not how "mods" work. You don't seem to have U-script experience, right?
You don't change the hard coded default values but create a subclass where you can change it and save it as a independent package (with a different name). There already exist mods where you can change the content of the single player ladder. Did you try the forum search in the top right corner?
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

ACE is going to kick you from servers if you screw stock files... you should stop (trying) changing stock files, those default properties are in BotPack if I well recall so you'll get another file. If you don't play ON-Line with that UT version, you can toy with files then...
Ross_R
Novice

Post by Ross_R »

papercoffee wrote: Well, that's because ...that's not how "mods" work. You don't seem to have U-script experience, right?
You don't change the hard coded default values but create a subclass where you can change it and save it as a independent package (with a different name). There already exist mods where you can change the content of the single player ladder. Did you try the forum search in the top right corner?
Yep, i do not have any experience with the U-script. And yes, I've tried the forum search and google as well, but I've tried to find solution for the fact why it doesn't save stuff...
As for general idea for course of actions, I've just followed the last post from this page: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4608#p48299
I've thought it is pretty accurate... well...
If you can pinpoint a tutorial for me, I would be very thankful.
sektor2111 wrote:ACE is going to kick you from servers if you screw stock files... you should stop (trying) changing stock files, those default properties are in BotPack if I well recall so you'll get another file. If you don't play ON-Line with that UT version, you can toy with files then...
Thanks for the tip, but I'm definitely not going online anyway, so I'll keep trying, I guess.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Just a thought - do you have the appropriate box ticked in the lower panel of the Actor browser?
Ross_R
Novice

Post by Ross_R »

OjitroC wrote:Just a thought - do you have the appropriate box ticked in the lower panel of the Actor browser?
I'm pretty sure I do not have much boxes in the Actor browser... The only tickable box says "Actor classes only". It is ticked, if it even matters.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

edscreensh.jpg
You need to select (put a tick in) the appropriate box, in your case Botpack I think, and then click on the save button in order to save edited changes to a package (*.u file). Think carefully before you do this - are you never ever going to want to play online? As you won't be able to (you'll get mismatch error messages) if you alter the Botpack.u file.

If you deselect the 'Actor Classes Only' box, you will get everything appearing in the tree below, not just actors - so you don't really want to do that.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

OjitroC wrote:Just a thought - do you have the appropriate box ticked in the lower panel of the Actor browser?
OjitroC wrote:
edscreensh.jpg
You need to select (put a tick in) the appropriate box, in your case Botpack I think, and then click on the save button in order to save edited changes to a package (*.u file). Think carefully before you do this - are you never ever going to want to play online? As you won't be able to (you'll get mismatch error messages) if you alter the Botpack.u file.

If you deselect the 'Actor Classes Only' box, you will get everything appearing in the tree below, not just actors - so you don't really want to do that.
This looks like the actor browser from UEd2.1 from Unreal 227. UT 436 doesn't have this options.
Ross_R
Novice

Post by Ross_R »

OjitroC wrote: You need to select (put a tick in) the appropriate box, in your case Botpack I think, and then click on the save button in order to save edited changes to a package (*.u file). Think carefully before you do this - are you never ever going to want to play online? As you won't be able to (you'll get mismatch error messages) if you alter the Botpack.u file.

Yea, I'm cool with that. Besides, I'm pretty sure that if I'll install this same mod on the other PC, I will be able to connect with it. But in this case if I'll ever want to play online, I'll just restore original .u files from backup. Or re-install the game.
Anyway, dumb quetsion time: how did you open this huge boxlist at the bottom? I do not have it...

Edit:
papercoffee wrote: This looks like the actor browser from UEd2.1 from Unreal 227. UT 436 doesn't have this options.
Oh, I see now...
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

papercoffee wrote: This looks like the actor browser from UEd2.1 from Unreal 227. UT 436 doesn't have this options.
Yes, it's the standalone UEd2.1 - I assumed all UEd actor browers were like that - the UT 451 UEd certainly is (though mine is broken, hence the UEd2.1). Apologies for that.

How do you save packages in the UT436 actor browser then?
Spectra
Masterful
Personal rank: Nullified!

Post by Spectra »

papercoffee wrote:This looks like the actor browser from UEd2.1 from Unreal 227. UT 436 doesn't have this options.
Incorrect! UT 436 also has this option. In actor browser, go to View > Show Packages.
Ross_R
Novice

Post by Ross_R »

Spectra wrote: Incorrect! UT 436 also has this option. In actor browser, go to View > Show Packages.
Bullseye. Thank you, and thanks OjitroC as well. You two were correct. I can make changes now.

/topic
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Spectra wrote:
papercoffee wrote:This looks like the actor browser from UEd2.1 from Unreal 227. UT 436 doesn't have this options.
Incorrect! UT 436 also has this option. In actor browser, go to View > Show Packages.
Ah... I see. But it's deactivated by default.
Thanks, I stand corrected.