Tool out there to extract mods/maps from UT directory ?

External tools, software and sites for creating or editing UT99 resources.
Phorce
Experienced
Personal rank: Sgt. Nutz

Tool out there to extract mods/maps from UT directory ?

Post by Phorce »

Hi, I've wondered about this for a while because I lost a lot of the original mod/map/mutator downloaded installation archives. UT must "know" where all the files are for a particular add on. So it should be possible to reverse the original installation to remake the original archive. The only thing UT might not know about it Readme's but that could be checked for manually. Any ideas ? Cheers.
"Weapons! ... for all occasions." Bill Hicks
Barbie
Godlike

Re: Tool out there to extract mods/maps from UT directory ?

Post by Barbie »

Have a look into the file Manifest.ini in the SYSTEM directory. There you will find something like
Manifest.ini wrote:[UTInoxxPack]
File=Maps\DM-Crane.unr
File=Maps\DM-SpaceNoxx.unr
File=Maps\CTF-Face][.unr
File=Maps\CTF-High.unr
File=Maps\CTF-Kosov.unr
File=Maps\CTF-Nucleus.unr
File=textures\noxxpack.utx
File=textures\xutfx.utx
File=Help\InoxxPack.txt
Caption=Unreal Tournament Inoxx Pack
Version=100
Requires=UnrealTournament
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

When you install a mod there's no preserved record of the dependencies. You'd need to scrape those from the references generated by opening the mod. It shouldn't be hard to make a Mapper's Dream tool for mods since UCC generates a dependency list as it tries to open the file.

TBH there's probably not very many mods you could find that someone in the community doesn't still have the zip for. The very earliest ones didn't even have zips though. It was common practice to allow players to idle on your server overnight so they could get copies of the maps and mods since there were not many download sites. A lot of the early developers just put their stuff on servers and that was how it was shared. You got to remember this was the days of public bulletin boards because actual forums weren't a thing yet. For a bunch of the earliest Unreal content there exists only cached versions. Thank goodness people like Hyper saved everything over the years.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Post by TheDane »

I don't think I ever found a tool for mods, but I used this tool for extracting maps with all its dependencies in a zip file. If I remember correct, you must use it's uninstall feature and from there you can choose to make a backup as a zip file, and ofcause not uninstall the map, it never failed me back in the days as server admin :wink:
Attachments
UTMapManager15.zip
(803 KiB) Downloaded 188 times
Retired.
UTPe
Masterful
Personal rank: Dude

Post by UTPe »

Hi Phorce,
I've been always using this (standalone) tool over the years, I think it works in the same way of UT Map Manager.

cheers,
Pietro
Attachments
[zOm]ServerMapManager.zip
(94.6 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
Personal map database: http://www.ut99maps.net

"These are the days that we will return to one day in the future only in memories." (The Midnight)