UZ Creation Organizer [batch tool] v1.03

External tools, software and sites for creating or editing UT99 resources.
GreenTea
Novice

UZ Creation Organizer [batch tool] v1.03

Post by GreenTea »

UZ Creation Organizer v1.03 (2019) by GreenTea
12/30/2019
==============================================

This is for Windows. For the Linux script, go to Barbie's thread: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=13692

This is a simple batch script tool to make handling multiple files or unstructured directories easier if you want to make server-side files (UZ).

The tool was made for 2 things:
1. Sort the needed files for server-side usage from messy directory structures (usually by extracting multiple .zip files with mutators/maps at once).
2. To make .UZ files from them all at once.

In both cases, after the process, the files will be organized into two seperate folders; 'Filtered_results' and 'UZ'.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How to use:
Extract the zip in the root of your UT folder.
For example: D:\UT99\UZ Creation Organizer

Place extracted map packs/mods/mutators in the /- CONTAINER UT FILES [DO_NOT_DELETE]/ folder.
and execute 'UZ batchscript.bat'
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The script will take care of the most important files (.U, .UNR, .UMX, .UTX, etc.) inside '- CONTAINER UT FILES [DO_NOT_DELETE]', regardless of directory structure.
This means that even if you put loose files in maps other than Maps/Music/Sounds/System/Textures, or even the root, the output will sort those in their respective folders.
Just put your files/folders in the CONTAINER folder and run the script to save yourself the time of sorting.

Final notes:
I made this for personal use, but if you're like me, it gets annoying after a while to have to perform multiple search queries to take out the right files.
Originally it consisted of two separate scripts but decided to merge them together for ease of use. I had fun making this since batch script tools can be super handy.

- GreenTea (devilangelox@gmail.com)

Changelog:

v1.03
=====
- Fixed a typo in standard files list.
- Improved and tidied up some scripting.
- Removed redundant checkup scripts.
- Added extra notifications to highlight current process.
- Filtered_results will always have structured directory, and will always be processed even if CONTAINER is empty.
- Added extra prompts.
- Added more error checking.
- Edited the description.

v1.02
=====
- Option to skip default files added.

- Filtered_results (.u,.umx,.uax,.utx,.unr) now gets organized first before proceeding with UZ compression.
If you only want to organize, you may close the window after you see the "Unreal files copied to Filtered_results." message.

- When a filetype is not present, its respective folder will not be created.

- Cleaned a bit of scripting.

v1.01
=====
- Tool now tells you when a file type is not present and will attempt to continue.

- Collected files in the 'Filtered_results' folder are placed in their respective folders (Maps,Music,Sounds,System,Textures)

v1.00
=====
- Initial release
Attachments
UZ Creation Organizer v1.03.zip
(7.19 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
UZ Creation Organizer v1.02.zip
(6 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
UZ Creation Organizer v1.01.zip
(2.81 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
UZ Creation Organizer.zip
(3.46 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
Last edited by GreenTea on Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:08 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Metalfist
Masterful
Personal rank: ^,..,^ rawr

Re: UZ Creation Organizer [batch tool]

Post by Metalfist »

That is so handy! Thanks for creating this!
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Do you have a default 'Do Not Compress' list? If not you'll want that, and then add a lot more that does not need to be compressed.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
GreenTea
Novice

Post by GreenTea »

Chamberly wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:26 pm Do you have a default 'Do Not Compress' list? If not you'll want that, and then add a lot more that does not need to be compressed.
You mean like the tool should ignore standard files that comes with the GOTY edition along with the bonus packs? I could change that. There are still some more changes I want to make.
GreenTea
Novice

Post by GreenTea »

Made some slight improvements. Updated to v1.01.

v1.01:
- Tool now tells you when a file type is not present and will attempt to continue.
- Collected files in the 'Filtered_results' folder are placed in their respective folders.

sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I don't see where Botpack.* or UnrealI.* and all that useless STOCK which is being compressed for redirect for no purpose will be removed - UT game is not starting without internal files, so no one needs them ever downloaded from redirects, as these tasks for compressing big stock files are a waste of time.

PS: As for [SPACE] character used - no comment.
Metalfist wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:28 pm That is so handy! Thanks for creating this!
I think that doing a redirect has been explained already and... it's simple.
GreenTea
Novice

Post by GreenTea »

sektor2111 wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:28 pm I don't see where Botpack.* or UnrealI.* and all that useless STOCK which is being compressed for redirect for no purpose will be removed - UT game is not starting without internal files, so no one needs them ever downloaded from redirects, as these tasks for compressing big stock files are a waste of time.

PS: As for [SPACE] character used - no comment.
Metalfist wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:28 pm That is so handy! Thanks for creating this!
I think that doing a redirect has been explained already and... it's simple.
You're absolutely right.
Though, I doubt that people will ever want to keep compressing the same server folder where they add more files over and over again. Instead, people will want to keep newly added files seperate from their UT folder when UZ compression is needed.
GreenTea
Novice

Post by GreenTea »

Updated my tool:

Changelog:
==========
v1.02:
======
- Added an option to skip default files.

- Filtered_results (.u,.umx,.uax,.utx,.unr) now gets organized first before proceeding with UZ compression.
If you only want to organize, you may close the window after you see the "Unreal files copied to Filtered_results." message.

- When a filetype is not present, its respective folder will not be created.

- Cleaned a bit of scripting.
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Re: UZ Creation Organizer [batch tool] v1.02

Post by Chamberly »

Does it also give me the option to add which file not to compress/being able to skip?
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Perhaps these have to use a temporary folder for Moving stock there until compression of files out of stock is done and then added back. Filtering files out of stock by type (uax, umx,...) I think doesn't have a must-have purpose, UZ files have to be moved in the same redirect so their type doesn't matter but organizing compression for all OUT-OF-STOCK files it's the big task here.
If I'm setting up manually a server, first time I unpack "wild" files in other location separate from any UT server repository - inside a SINGLE folder doesn't matter types. Then I compress ALL those non-stock files there and sort UZ files into another "To_Upload" folder - it's recommended a check for the number of new UT files from there vs number of UZ files created for figuring if exist files not compressed for some reason. The rest of remaining files in said folder are easy to be moved in server by using extension in steps. I don't get what is so hard at this logic - it's called PC operating not programming. This is how I do a fresh server all the time and I don't fail any needed file from being in redirect.

Code: Select all

ucc compress c:\toUZ\*.u
ucc compress c:\toUZ\*.uax
ucc compress c:\toUZ\*.umx
ucc compress c:\toUZ\*.utx
ucc compress c:\toUZ\*.unr
move c:\toUZ\*.uz c:\To_Upload\
echo  ETC
If you have a smart File Commander or File Explorer all these are easy as a pie.
This way you will clearly except every single stock file from being redirected. Other task means GOTY files out of default UT, these have to be compressed for Non-GOTY players. And now the problem comes when tiny files goes in UZ format bigger than source file, this will deliver a client crashed.
NGZ rental services are not using UZ redirects exactly for this reason but they use uncompressed format - probably linked to server repository directly. LZMA doesn't have this issue and works X times faster...

Part two means: I have a server but I need to prepare redirect - GOOD. Get the UT CD and build a stock-files list using some smart FileManager. Now you can build a batch for moving these stock files which are not needed as UZ away (see batch tutorials on Internet - command Move usage) until compression of not listed files is ready and then moved back into server. This is another easy as a pie task for a computer user.

Edit:Hobby stuff
For creating batch aka BAT executable files you might have samples:
https://www.robvanderwoude.com/batexamples.php
If you ask me what a BAT can do I won't answer, it's all about creativity. Last time I compress crash-log files as txt into LZMA archives which are very small compared with original file and this is happening right in game-launcher, old files are deleted after compression. I can store this way a log of logs without devastating free space in server. More than that, before to start server ALL files found in some Update folder are automatically added in server, this is a self-update task taking seconds and keeping server active as much as possible. Feel free to share other good ideas simple to do...
GreenTea
Novice

Post by GreenTea »

Updated my batch script once more, probably gonna be a long time before another release (job/trying to maintain social life).

Changelog:

v1.03
=====
- Fixed a typo in standard files list.
- Improved and tidied up some scripting.
- Removed redundant checkup scripts.
- Added extra notifications to highlight current process.
- Filtered_results will always have structured directory, and will always be processed even if CONTAINER is empty.
- Added extra prompts.
- Added more error checking.
- Edited the description.