How do I use the Skywolf's a_/d_.3d exporter for Blender?

External tools, software and sites for creating or editing UT99 resources.
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

How do I use the Skywolf's a_/d_.3d exporter for Blender?

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

Whatever mesh I export from Blender using the a_/d_.3d exporter from Skywolf gives me this error when I try to compile a class using those files:

Code: Select all

History: UEditorEngine::meshLODProcess <- UEditorEngine::meshImport <- UEditorEngine::SafeExec <- (MESH IMPORT MESH=SuzTest1 ANIVFILE=Models\test_1_a.3d DATAFILE=Models\test_1_d.3d X=0 Y=0 Z=0) <- FScriptCompiler::ProcessCompilerDirective <- Directive <- FScriptCompiler::CompileDeclaration <- FScriptCompiler::CompileStatement <- FirstPass <- TryCompile <- FScriptCompiler::CompileScript <- (Class SuzanneTest.SuzTest1, Pass 0, Line 6) <- MakeScript <- MakeScript <- MakeScript <- MakeScript <- DoScripts <- UEditorEngine::MakeScripts <- UMakeCommandlet::Main
The macros look like this:

Code: Select all

#exec MESH IMPORT MESH=SuzTest1 ANIVFILE=Models\test_1_a.3d DATAFILE=Models\test_1_d.3d X=0 Y=0 Z=0
#exec MESH ORIGIN MESH=SuzTest1 X=0 Y=0 Z=0 YAW=-64 PITCH=0 ROLL=0

#exec MESH SEQUENCE MESH=SuzTest1 SEQ=ALL    STARTFRAME=0 NUMFRAMES=0 RATE=24
#exec MESH SEQUENCE MESH=SuzTest1 SEQ=Still    STARTFRAME=0 NUMFRAMES=1 RATE=24

#exec MESHMAP SCALE MESHMAP=SuzTest1 X=0.04 Y=0.04 Z=0.08
Does anyone know how to solve this?

(Not sure if this topic should've been posted in this forum: viewforum.php?f=59)
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
Berserker
Experienced

Re: How do I use the Skywolf's a_/d_.3d exporter for Blender?

Post by Berserker »

I would also like to know the solution of your problem, because I too face struggles when I try to import meshes from blender. I've followed this tutorial using Skywolf's Blender addon as well: https://www.oldunreal.com/wiki/index.ph ... nto_Unreal

But still, I was not able to import my mesh into UED properly, could you follow the tutorial and let me know if you get the same issues?

Also I looked around for other import/export methods and I found out there is this small program called U3D, which imports obj format (you just have to export obj from blender) and then can export them with U3D to a .3d format. You click on Import on the OBJ tab in U3D and import your file. After that you go to the .3d files tab and you click open on the Anim: and Data: bars (This is where you set the location and file name of the U1 .3d files) After you've finished, you click on Save.
Attachments
u3d.zip
(1.15 MiB) Downloaded 30 times
Visit us on Discord:
https://discord.gg/fcRakgNCjR Image
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

Berserker wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:09 pm I would also like to know the solution of your problem, because I too face struggles when I try to import meshes from blender. I've followed this tutorial using Skywolf's Blender addon as well: https://www.oldunreal.com/wiki/index.ph ... nto_Unreal

But still, I was not able to import my mesh into UED properly, could you follow the tutorial and let me know if you get the same issues?

Also I looked around for other import/export methods and I found out there is this small program called U3D, which imports obj format (you just have to export obj from blender) and then can export them with U3D to a .3d format. You click on Import on the OBJ tab in U3D and import your file. After that you go to the .3d files tab and you click open on the Anim: and Data: bars (This is where you set the location and file name of the U1 .3d files) After you've finished, you click on Save.
I used U3DBinRead before I was recommended to use Skywolf's exporter, the problem with the former is that meshes need to be "scaled to fit" (not sure what it is that the mesh need to be scaled to fit to tho) and that messes up the scales in a way that I will always have to find the correct meshmap scaling in the uc file.

edit: By reading the tutorial you linked (somebody already sent me that weeks ago but I didn't read it till now) I noticed this:
The most important part is that your mesh is inside of a boundary box with a size of 256 x 256 x 256 Unreal units.
That must be what "scaled to fit" means, well... I guess that means meshes can't have whatever scale I want them to be without having to set the meshmap scaling properly, that sucks :/

I mean, without LOD a simple plane still gives an error:
oh_well.png
Berserker
Experienced

Post by Berserker »

PrinceOfFunky wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:51 pm I mean, without LOD a simple plane still gives an error:
oh_well.png
That just sucks, I really hope someone experienced picks up this thread.
Visit us on Discord:
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

Berserker wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:38 pm
PrinceOfFunky wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:51 pm I mean, without LOD a simple plane still gives an error:
oh_well.png
I found a solution!
You have to follow this step even if your mesh has no animation:
Then choose a name for your Mesh and select under the point "Source:" Scene Timeline
No need to triangulate the faces (Idk if it is done automatically).
By using "Actions" instead of "Scene Timeline" it outputs a wrongly written mesh if your mesh doesn't use actions.
(No need to add keyframes)
Berserker
Experienced

Post by Berserker »

PrinceOfFunky wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:00 am
oh_well.png
I found a solution!
Then choose a name for your Mesh and select under the point "Source:" Scene Timeline
By using "Actions" instead of "Scene Timeline" it outputs a wrongly written mesh if your mesh doesn't use actions.
Glad to hear! I still have issues importing anything from blender even following these steps, so could you give me the blend file and the uc/3d files, so I can study them myself? Also, which blender version did you try? Thanks :tu:
Visit us on Discord:
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

Berserker wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:35 pm
PrinceOfFunky wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:00 am
oh_well.png
I found a solution!
Glad to hear! I still have issues importing anything from blender even following these steps, so could you give me the blend file and the uc/3d files, so I can study them myself? Also, which blender version did you try? Thanks :tu:
This cube was exported with Blender on factory reset:
swexport.zip
(889 Bytes) Downloaded 21 times
Berserker
Experienced

Post by Berserker »

Nice, thank you!
Visit us on Discord: