UPSX E1P2 V1.1 Re-release

Maps, mods and resources ported from or to Unreal.
Must run in UT99 or with Oldskool Amp'd.
Unreal 227 only projects are "Off-Topic"
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

UPSX E1P2 V1.1 Re-release

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

This is a re-release of Unreal PSX E1P2 as requested by several people.

Moddb Link

DL

Version 1.1 Release of UPSX Episode 1 Part 2.

What's new:
Merged with ImplantGun UT Patch, E1L5D1 patch (re-enabled playerstarts, additional message),
Critical Patch.

DragonCastle test in Extras providing example for ShrinkPlayer usage.
UnPickup (unfinished version by me) and Detector (by codex) in Extras, OU227 only.

DmDragonCastle (partially finished dm map) and UT DMU-DragonCastle version in their respective deathmatch dirs...
EDIT: Cut, decided against the special UT version. If someone wants to make a proper UT DM version,
feel free to do that, I don't have time right now and I'm looking for mappers and people to help out.
Thank you. This might be even my last release given my IRL situation.

contact me at leo_tck@volny.cz

- Leo(T.C.K.)
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Re: UPSX E1P2 V1.1 Re-release

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Interested in that DM map, If I'll have any time to spare I might give it a go to convert it.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

UnrealGGecko wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:05 pm Interested in that DM map, If I'll have any time to spare I might give it a go to convert it.
It's not pathed but, other than that, it runs fine in UT99. It has inventory spots so weapons covert OK to UT weapons (except for a few of the PSX weapons) - actually it's probably best played using only PSX weapons (if for no other reason than that these fit in well with the overall design and ambiance of the map).

It is certainly an interesting map with lots of small rooms and corridors but the downside, as far as DM is concerned, is its tightness - a lot of the corridors are very tight, with room for just the player. The layout is essentially linear and so there wouldn't be the flow some people would look for in a DM map. However it would make an interesting and rather different DM map for 2/3/4 players. I certainly find it fun when hunting a few monsters dropped into it.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Yea no paths, as I said I didn't completely finish it but it's better than nothing I guess. The later section with the button also lacks a playerstart.

I was thinking of making a couple of those areas connect as well to make it less linear than it is now too but didn't get around to do it. It's just a modified version of the implantpuzzle dragon section from the e1l8b map.

But this section, apart from some little bits have its own history. The original maps were actually taken from the 1996 developement directories of Emissary. it was unclear whether they were meant for Unreal or for Emissary, since they were untextured, only with the default brick texture from 0.84a. But we saw screenshots of partially finished Unreal maps that were also part using this texture only, so its anyone's guess really, but I'd bet they were some test maps meant for the unreal developement. Some of the sections you could get to without problem in 0.84 as player's size was smaller than in the released game and jump was higher, however a few areas like the little tunnels would only be possible through crouching or posessing a pawn since crouching didn't work correctly yet (and it never did afaik, apart from the pseudo crouch in unreal 95, but maybe it did work in some other 1996 versions as we lack most of that year, including the old unrecovered leak unrealb.zip.

But either way, I'd appreciate help with episode 2 of Unreal PSX in general. Thankfuly most of episode 2 was done by the original team and recovered, just a few map parts of e2l1 and e2l2 need finishing/merging and additional mapping work. But the rest was done and was done by different mappers.

EDIT: Just in case it isn't clear, yrex is no longer working on unreal psx since his work on e1l8 a year ago. The technology bits in the dragoncastle part was his work, there was no hint for it to be technological in the original map(s) as such they were called area tests.
EDIT2: The original area tests maps wouldn't really fit in the geometry with the emissary maps so I think they might have been really meant for Unreal as emissary was all about tech and there's maybe only like one thing there that would suggest any kind of technology so it's definitely not in theme similar to any of the emissary maps that were created.