How to assign sounds to ZoneInfo

Maps, mods and resources ported from or to Unreal.
Must run in UT99 or with Oldskool Amp'd.
Unreal 227 only projects are "Off-Topic"
Rikia
Experienced
Personal rank: Masterful

How to assign sounds to ZoneInfo

Post by Rikia »

How to assign sounds to Zones? Is this even possible?
Just the ambient keypoints dissapoint me, cause I'm doing a city map and can hear it's sound being in underground.
Or there are other ways, like giving the zones an option(I don't know which) that blocks sounds which are not placed in zone?

Actually the sound properties do nothing with the zones.
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: How to assign sounds to ZoneInfo

Post by sektor2111 »

As far as I know UE1 spreads sound at 2200 UU around as range, doesn't matter that much geometry - sound is audible through walls.

But... the thing which I have in mind here is custom scripting. An actor doing sound for player which is in special zone, not for others. Definitely I'm thinking to switch authority in client/standalone-player, actor will hook Level owner and render/play sound if Player has a visual contact or... it's located in the same zone using iterator specific to zones. Either way sound will restart if player shows up again and again (perhaps annoying) and then... you don't want to stop sound but... adjusting the sound volume, or finding a solution for adjusting sound radius. I did not played a lot with sound radius/volume but as far as I know lights can be dynamically adjusted like that without issues simulating a burning fire. When I'll find a map suitable for such custom tweaking I might try something like that, it needs a bit of math...
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

You need to either use the creative labs EAX patched version of Galaxy renderer, then make profiles with the editing tool Eagle.

...or update to a newer renderer from OldUnreal https://forums.oldunreal.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=461
You can add EFX zone info actors similar to how you can in UT2004.
The new audio renderes support sound occlusion which will change the way sound is heard through doors and windows and round corners.
Rikia
Experienced
Personal rank: Masterful

Post by Rikia »

Thank you guys.
I always knew about existense of Medor site which stores many needed tutorials for UE1. But a long time, I was unable to connect to it, and only after I installed Opera with VPN I got a connection. It's weird because, my familiar(lives in same country) was able to open this site without VPN and any other special things.