Unreal PSX rework:Rise of Jrath thread

Maps, mods and resources ported from or to Unreal.
Must run in UT99 or with Oldskool Amp'd.
Unreal 227 only projects are "Off-Topic"
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: Unreal PSX rework:Rise of Jrath thread

Post by OjitroC »

Yes, it does look good :tu:
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Post by Terraniux »

The video was absolutely dope. I want it!! , all of it!!!
This member can only post when permitted.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Hold on a second, what video are you talking about exactly?

But really, with this one don't forget that especially the main map, horror deck, was reconstructed by yrex from scratch from the detailed design notes of James Hamer-Morton (yes, the movie guy that's most famous for his ONP work, he did work professionally on Unreal PSX as one of the few game industry things he did apart from the Black and White game).

So really kudos to yrex for capturing the essence and spirit of the map so well.

Just so you know that I'm not trying to take all credit for myself, be sure to read who did what.

The other maps are amalgamated maps of other LDs or map concepts, infused with new mappage and stuff...

Except for the flyby which technically doesn't contain new mappage but consists of various presentation versions of regular unreal psx maps. Yes, there were separate presentation and concept versions of these. Most of these maps in the flyby are actually the same versions that were used for the real unreal psx hardware demo running on the playstation.

Of course only parts of such maps were used for the PSXFlyby, as having interpolation cover the entire map would take even more time and things could become boring soon.

Hell, I did want more to be covered, but yrex actually protested and it would delay the release too. Wanted it really out for February...
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

Great work Leo, yrex. Thanks for your work. :gj:
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Thanks. For yrex too, assuming he doesn't have an account here.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Below is yrex's post from other forums:
yrex wrote:
Leo (T.C.K.) wrote:Basically, a rushed out LITE release without the final level of E1... Due to heavy IRL problems and having to "hit the road", more in LITE.txt in help. I hope to be able to return to this soon and release the full version. Multiple years of work went into this including some losses of data. Episode 1 was the most unfinished with most maps missing in the first place, from everything recovered.
I hope you enjoy what has been "finished" so far.

See everything in help directory.
DOWNLOAD (mirror)
Required files
Patch
I am adding this mirror of the patch file also:
Patch Mirror
With the patch the maps should probably be considered final and only thing that's missing are e1l8 levels. Still, this features the revolutionary implantgun, I didn't have time to make a separate release with the full source of that,
however I could still provide it in the future.

I have to dryly note that the implantgun was considered "impossible" without engine modifications by many skilled community coders and codex managed to pull off a coop friendly version on top...

I have to note that this release has the old version of credits but I believe not any other people contributed since and any further work/contributions have been solely from yrex/codex and me.

Not sure if I added at that time that I used for "e1l6moros" (working title of first part of e1l6d) the custom level (for unreal 0.84) from a certain russian guy that goes by the name SpaseHead (I don't know if it was him though or if he just made videos of the level with download link reposted), seems it's the same guy though. It was a retexture of the level moros16 from one of the 1997 betas but backported into 1996 beta/alpha of unreal retexturing using the other crypt textures.

-MERGED-

Sorry for another post, but I feel the need to explain further.

Those e1l6 crypt maps, what was actually recovered from that from real unreal psx files were e1l6a and e1l6b (unfinished) with multiple versions of the e1l6b level including more or less a raw port from the unreal alpha it came from (which, if you played yrex's crypt pyramid is where he based his midian version from directly and it is different from john's later version of the level that he adjusted for unreal psx), we only know the real name of the level,
Midian, from archive of john's old website where it was mentioned in screenshots and it seems john didn't even use the latest version of the level for his psx version.

This was one of the firmly planned/established instances of beta/alpha levels that were supposed to be ported to Unreal PSX.

I was lucky that at some point I recovered those old unreal alphas that had the non resized crypt textures and three levels (batset, siobhan, seti) that were meant to appear as parts of e1l6 obviously.

But that went to e1l6 minus batset which ended up as a small part of e1l6d. Due to any other levels missing of course, so there had to be new content here and improvisation.

Another level that was meant to be firmly recycled/retrofitted was e1l8, the Skaarj Fortress (it appears both in unreal psx design docs and the old unreal bible, though the psx version was meant to be a little more updated to the current game style). And nothing of that was recovered apart from some terrain.

Which honestly sucks balls, but e1l8a has that terrain from eric reuter and I connected it with some retextured unreal beta/alpha goodness. You will have to see that separately with the full release.

I already teased the screenshots on moddb page way ago though from one of the retextures.
Last edited by papercoffee on Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: double post
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

@Leo(T.C.K.)
It seems you forgot, that we allow our member to edit their own posts. :tongue:
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Patch 2: Dedicated server fix,
E1L7D: Fixed clients crashing when entering a server with this map
Link
Moddb link
RetroEpoch
Average
Personal rank: The more the merrier

Post by RetroEpoch »

Sorry for the offtopic, but... I didn't know I needed to play this until now, I hope it's playable :)
makemeunreal
Masterful

Post by makemeunreal »

Yes iti s! And yes you need! :highfive:
RetroEpoch
Average
Personal rank: The more the merrier

Post by RetroEpoch »

makemeunreal wrote:Yes iti s! And yes you need! :highfive:
All I need to know is how to make it booteable for a PSX (even an emulator would be ok) :tongue:
makemeunreal
Masterful

Post by makemeunreal »

No possible way. :C :\ :P
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

This is a rework, it would be possible to backport into psx using the original psx maps though, but that's not what this is about. Besides the real psx hardware version never surfaced and was only kept by nick pelling and others from the internal team.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

I present here exclusive screenshots from E1L8B.

Explanation:
This Tundra bit started as a retexture effort by me already in 2016, I called it TundraXUPB since it was gonna be merged in with UPSX stuff, in a map that was never recovered or made as such. Recently, yrex has improved on this by adding the typical swamp castle arches, also adding some skaarj crates and a panel on top of the tower.

The third screenshot is from an entirely new section that the story requires.

EDIT: The forum trolls me, the "third screenshot" ended up being the first.
Attachments
UPB-E1L8B-2018_12_2_1_3_25_346.jpg
UPB-E1L8B-2018_12_2_1_2_53_166.jpg
UPB-E1L8B-2018_12_2_1_2_43_727.jpg