Unreal PSX rework:Rise of Jrath thread

Maps, mods and resources ported from or to Unreal.
Must run in UT99 or with Oldskool Amp'd.
Unreal 227 only projects are "Off-Topic"
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Re: Unreal PSX rework:Rise of Jrath thread

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

I would also need someone to make a new player skin and a skin for another character, Iris. There were originally some FMV scenes and there is a promo shot of one in existence which shows Jack and Iris (although her only partially). It should be possible to make a skin based on it, so I would need a really skilled skin artist for that.

The skins should be for Unreal Male 3 and Female 2.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Nobody interested in making the skins? I am still working on the maps and stuff, but you know I am not someone who can make a professional looking new skin. So I need more people. The problem with the original project was that they didn't get enough help or people in the beginning too and many had to step for positions they weren't meant to do in the beginning afaik.
The remake suffers from similar problem now, at least I know how to do most of stuff myself, but I am not a skin maker. My own skins were rather unprofessional when I made them and weren't seamless.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Some more files have been recovered, not a lot but still, not any of Eric Reuter's missing maps though. But it makes a bit more sense now and feels more complete again. I will definitely use that stuff in the rework.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Dude ...keep working on it ...I wish you luck with you project.
If I would have time I could help you with your Skin request ...but this is making a nearly similar skin from scratch.
On a model with different UV-mapping. This is not easy to do.

I don't know the characters... can you show more details about the models.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

papercoffee wrote:Dude ...keep working on it ...I wish you luck with you project.
If I would have time I could help you with your Skin request ...but this is making a nearly similar skin from scratch.
On a model with different UV-mapping. This is not easy to do.

I don't know the characters... can you show more details about the models.
I don't have the models unfortunately. That screenshot was the only thing ever recovered out of those. Plus some concept art stuff, I can pm you if you want.

Anyway.

I am finalizing Vortex Rikers maps, only the AI prison needs to be done out of VR maps. I will probably release it afterwards all, as a demo, maps from E1L1 set up to E1L4, connected together in a nice pack, that would serve as a great "demo" I think.
Delacroix
Adept
Personal rank: UMS R&D CEO

Post by Delacroix »

Just wanted to report that I'm helping Leo in whatever way I can here. What I'm doing is:

- writing up translator messages for maps (90% are from me now) since maps have no TMs.
- general betatesting & feedback.
- I also sometimes try to do other small tasks, like pinpointing individual exclusive textures in PSX-versions of Unreal texture packages. Yes, there were a couple of these.

Not doing much overall, since I'm not skilled, but trying my best here.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Correction: only like few maps had translator messages (kisiel's and kagle's maps had them always usually), but they weren't even planned as it seemed so that was just from mapper's decision.

Anyway yeah he's doing most Translator Messages now. I wrote the first message in Nali Village myself though. But yeah if anyone will complain now about the messages being badly written or being corny they can't complain to me :tongue: . But then again the original storyline was corny as well so I don't think it will really ruing things if new messages are corny.
Delacroix
Adept
Personal rank: UMS R&D CEO

Post by Delacroix »

Precisely what he said. :D
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

A new site at moddb has been added, forgot to mention it earlier:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/unreal-psx-re ... jrath/news
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

MAJOR UPDATE:

One of the designers have recovered his crashed harddrive content. Some maps that have been missing until now are just recovered.

Also there were included some other stuff like the original screenshots from the psx hardware version:

Jpegs.zip
The character models(not recovered, were meant to be only on psx).

editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Post by editor Dave »

W00T! That are great news. Good luck on polishing the maps! :)
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

All maps are basically finished now for the demo, new skins are on the way too(by papercoffee) and some additional scripts need to be done etc and then send out the stuff for final testing, but it has been tested extensively all thorought during making, so I don't expect anything popping out really..
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

Sounds good, at least some progress with your stuff. BTW: On the picture above (I know its old), are these supposed to be indigenes? (possible settled in the jungle?^^)

I am sorry, if I have missed something. Currently it is rather difficult for me to follow all these projects around here, through my limited time.

Regarding these skins, paper asked me for UV skins recently (which surely do not exist). But there seem to be a way to do this without this "grid help"?!

Edit: And BTW, really good job .. I mean this all, at the end you take a big effort to bring this lost piece of Unreal history "home". :thuup:
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Creavion wrote:Sounds good, at least some progress with your stuff. BTW: On the picture above (I know its old), are these supposed to be indigenes? (possible settled in the jungle?^^)

I am sorry, if I have missed something. Currently it is rather difficult for me to follow all these projects around here, through my limited time.

Regarding these skins, paper asked me for UV skins recently (which surely do not exist). But there seem to be a way to do this without this "grid help"?!

Edit: And BTW, really good job .. I mean this all, at the end you take a big effort to bring this lost piece of Unreal history "home". :thuup:
No, they are the manifestations of the computer AIs in the game, not indigenes. Also the big Male model is supposed to be the corporation commander Hari, possibly he went some undergoing change (remember like Bob Page did in Deus Ex for example, but I didn't read anything about that in the design doc apart from certain hint), but in this rework I am not gonna use that skin/model, I am using the old male2skinshari that master unreal made for me years ago, it is just altered Ivan but it suited my needs since it fit the inuit corporation theme more.

As for UV skins, well you could export the mesh or something and export the UV maps that way, dunno how the skin maker works but i remember it having the meshes for display so there should be a way to do it for Unreal meshes as well there.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Leo(T.C.K.) wrote: As for UV skins, well you could export the mesh or something and export the UV maps that way, dunno how the skin maker works but i remember it having the meshes for display so there should be a way to do it for Unreal meshes as well there.
Hm ... must say, I never checked this possibility. I'll check this out.