What abot to unite UT and Unreal?

Maps, mods and resources ported from or to Unreal.
Must run in UT99 or with Oldskool Amp'd.
Unreal 227 only projects are "Off-Topic"
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: What abot to unite UT and Unreal?

Post by papercoffee »

Torax wrote: But it seems that i'm only the one idiot who thought about this...
No you are not ... you are the one idiot who thought it would be easy to sell us this idea :mrgreen:

I mean, it's not us who doesn't want to be involved with Unreal... We even don't have a special corner for Unreal related talk, because we think we have more in common than we have not. Just state in your post for which of the two games your stuff is and we let it stay. Sometimes is it highly compatible with each other and both have a benefit from it.

We do move only UE2 and UE3 based discussions into the Off-Topic section.
Torax
Adept
Personal rank: Master of Coop

Post by Torax »

Well..as really..i prefer to make content for Unreal 1 rather than UT.

That is not a question of compatibility or something. I like both of games and playing both of them. Ever will play more now with new survival-like coop game type mod that Shivaxi is working now.

That is a question that i more prefer coop :roll:
I like to create weapons and items, and in coop it is not so important the idea of weapon and balance. While for DM or any team based game you always need to think about how your weapons are balanced in damage, ammo, firing speed etc. Same shit with the items. Or that fact that UT have no a kind of "inventory" system as it was in Unreal 1.
I like to explore new worlds in Unreal - there are a lot of mappacks i did not played yet or even don't know about them. I walked through original storylines again and again, with different mutators and other mods and not tired.

And i think that there are a lot of players who doesn't play coop in Unreal in cause that there is almost nobody to play with. Most of coop servers are empty. There is no such a fan to run through the old or new story with teammates...

EDIT
And when (and if) i finish remodelling mod, it will be available for both games - the difference will be only at coding part and emitters usage in Unreal. If i will not put my hand to expand Ferali's script based emitter system (CSMXExtras or someth..cant remember exactly), to make emitters in UT. Because i have a lot of ideas about expanding this tool.
Unreal. Alter your reality..forever...
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

So you're giving up on the SDK?
I could do something about those functions, unfortunately a difficult semester starts tomorrow and my time to do these things will be reduced.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

The majority likes to be more competitive and less cooperative. Look at MH... everyone is fighting for himself...
in a team. :|
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

And that's why MH needs more monster defense maps, where you can actually lose the game.
Torax
Adept

Post by Torax »

Higor wrote:So you're giving up on the SDK?
I could do something about those functions, unfortunately a difficult semester starts tomorrow and my time to do these things will be reduced.
I did not said i'm giving up :mrgreen:
If you talk about UT Community SDK..well.. I cant imagine will it be released ever. Last time i talked with Shadow he said he have no time currently..

What can you do? I only know that somewhere at BeyoundUnreal wiki Raven once released some files for enhanced Skeletal mesh support with such kind of functions to better manipulate skeletal models. But it also requres *.dll to work. The only way is to remake some animations but i'm afraid to broke it on export cozz all models are made in blender - and blender still have troubles exporting to psk/psa format.
papercoffee wrote:The majority likes to be more competitive and less cooperative. Look at MH... everyone is fighting for himself...
in a team. :|
Thats what i'm about. Monster Hunt is a kind of "slasher" or "point gainer" for fun. I cant even say that it is coop or looks like coop.
And thats why UT somewhat sucks in this question, because MH is a parody on the coop, nothing more.
Thats only my opinion, i dont throwing tomatoes on the author of this gametype. It is fun. But not a true Coop like it was in Unreal. And i think it is also an answer to the question "Why people still playing Unreal 1"

EDIT
Higor wrote:And that's why MH needs more monster defense maps, where you can actually lose the game.
Somewhat reminded me about UT2k4 game type Monster Assault, where players attacking some spot, defended by monsters.
SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF}
Adept

Post by SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF} »

Higor wrote:And that's why MH needs more monster defense maps, where you can actually lose the game.
Now that's a great Idea. Monsters win the match. Hell yeah!

P.S. And end game cam focuses on the strongest monster and surrounding allies pelvic thrust taunting.
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Monsters defending and winning remind me of Assault games. :P

I don't think MH is more competitive than coop. Coop can use more maps though.
Last edited by Chamberly on Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Torax wrote: And thats why UT somewhat sucks in this question, because MH is a parody on the coop, nothing more.
But that's not UT's fault that people like MH more than any cooperative game... there are Coop game-types for UT but the "majority" did choose more competitive game styles like MH.
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

1) These communities are not really separate. Many people are active in various degrees on both games. UT has more legacy and more influence, so it attracts the main part, but SP stuff seem to be relatively rare for UT compared to Unreal, and multiplayer stuff is much more prevalent on UT than on Unreal (excluding coop, the bastard child of both). Unreal content is compatible with Unreal, so the only problem is having compatibility the other way round.

2) Steps have been taken in that direction. On one hand, there is a port of Botpack for U227, and a dedicated OldSkool version. This can be found here, along with the method that allows you to play UT in Unreal. One the other hand, you have the modified Unreal IpDrv which allows UT clients to join Unreal 227 servers.

All this brought to you by Dots, the patron saint of coders, reverse engineers, Unreal players and the colour cyan.
You must construct additional pylons.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Hellkeeper beat me to it. Yes there has been some promising work done to make them network compatible, so maybe it is time to finish Dots project, as it looks promising, but I think there are still a few issues.

I play UT in Unreal 227 most of the time because of the cool deco shadows and CSWeapons.
With this setup https://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5540 you can quickly test which maps will work in either engine.
Note: Some deco-packs in some maps will crash the wrong engine, and simply require a compatible counterpart (avoids a map rebuild). Some use a sound or effect that is in a different branch.
Some mods have been made in parallel, so there are also other kinds of mod that will work if present in both.
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

Well, much has now been said and said again in cases but I still can't see the point. Aside from sharing a name, some visual styling and an engine, Unreal and UT are pretty different animals.

There are so many other things that one can do with UE1 that would be much more beneficial and productive.
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

Carbon wrote:Well, much has now been said and said again in cases but I still can't see the point.
Regroup the 5 Unreal players with the 10 UT players to have a larger community. :wink:
You must construct additional pylons.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Hellkeeper wrote:
Carbon wrote:Well, much has now been said and said again in cases but I still can't see the point.
Regroup the 5 Unreal players with the 10 UT players to have a larger community. :wink:
What we are still that many?? Who says Our communities are dieing???

:ironic:

:loool:
Torax
Adept

Post by Torax »

Well
okay
you beaten me, guys.
That's a totally useless idea. I have no more arguments.