Bot Pathing - default Mover

Get some cool tips about how to tweak your UT graphic, gameplay, and much more!
sektor2111
Godlike

Bot Pathing - default Mover

Post by sektor2111 »

Given passed contests (and any future ones) where mappers are mooing at movers because they don't read that much, probably are helpful less words and... some crapped up images about *settings, these being probably more relevant than stories written which some people cannot get that way of learning.
[attachment=0]Da_Lift.PNG[/attachment]
Does this mover even work ?
I'll bet on 100$ that it do works - settings copied from Deck16][ (if by chance you know it) from Left Mover as a direct sample. Opening that map in Editor for direct checks will not make your machine to explode, guaranteed. Else mover is StandOpenTimed as long as it is a Lift.
The Tiny Speech > Mover uses at least 2 LiftExit type actors - is THE Minimal requirement, and a LiftCenter. Any combination which uses 1 LiftExit and 1 LiftCenter is USELESS. We do need an entry-point and exit-point. For extra-tweaking as needed you can use bOneWayPath for one or both LiftExit actors oriented in direction of navigation (bDirectional=True) if Bot wants to go down through that route and it goes borked camping useless - it depends on height - mover route.
Preferred option is if map uses a Way Up in outside spots through Movers-Lifts and way down to inventory types are in center, directly navigable by jumping down. If Lift is configured properly you will not need ramps or teleporter types, Deck16][ is just proving that.
Attachments
Da_Lift.PNG
Eviltom
Skilled

Re: Bot Pathing - default Mover

Post by Eviltom »

I'm a visual person, so this style diagram is more helpful
than a text explanation (would have been helpful 15 years ago when I was learning ued!)

Pretty sure that's how I path lifts :tu:
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: Bot Pathing - default Mover

Post by sektor2111 »

Like I said, Lifts are EASY.
Keep going:
I have a ramp and a lift. Bot stays lower and waiting Lift for being clearly visible. It doesn't look like it wants to move. What do we have to do in such case ? Let's take a picture of fact:
[attachment=0]Da_Lift_01.PNG[/attachment]
Bot Pawn coming from a lower position will be informed that LiftCenter will never reach in a good visual contact so it has to jump (if can do this). Usually at small height differences (around 30+ UU) bot can be convinced to jump on a box for getting an Item - yeah, Epic, you should do paths in Deck16][ at flakbox and pulsebox and you know what I mean, because those are taken only in ambush not in roaming :omfg: . These LiftExit-LiftCenter-LiftExit combos and their tweaks works even without having a lift being "forced" paths, exactly as teleporters. They can be used at exiting from water, small spots, where default PathNodes will not get links, including paths over a small acid river when pawn can jump over ledges. JumpSpot is a sort of LiftCenter but it has some "directives". LiftCenter is a "blind-raw" thing it can be used for wide range of Pawns with less issues - pawns able to walk and jump.
Note: ALL classes located under LiftCenter tree are using 2 LiftExit types having a sum of 3 NavigationPoint Actors. JumpSpot alone as the rest of LiftCenter types are not linked with other things than LiftExit types causing broken paths if we don't have an entry and an exit point.
Attachments
Da_Lift_01.PNG