UT 99 - speed up downloading new stuff while playing

Get some cool tips about how to tweak your UT graphic, gameplay, and much more!
aragilius

UT 99 - speed up downloading new stuff while playing

Post by aragilius »

hello guys,

if you wonder why taking so much tine donloading maps, music, textures from the server you are playing on, here is the settings you have to make in your game settings.
in the game folder UnrealTorunament/System you will find a file named UnrealTournament.ini

open this file, browse to this line

[Engine.Player]

change values for those 2 lines to something like 500000
it should look like this:

[Engine.Player]
ConfiguredInternetSpeed=500000
ConfiguredLanSpeed=500000

the game must be stopped while making these changes, restart the game after saving the .ini file
Sparky
Personal rank: 12XHN

Re: UT 99 - speed up downloading new stuff while playing

Post by Sparky »

I believe I read in the tutorial regarding graphics tweaks that setting the speed above 40000 causes problems. Has that changed?
Shade
Site Admin
Personal rank: Founder of UT99.org

Post by Shade »

i've set it above 40000 and didn't had any problems yet.
UT99.org Discord Server: https://discord.gg/6CP2UjZ
UT Server Browser: https://ut99.org/servers
[JAG]Teabag
Skilled
Personal rank: Clan Server Admin

Post by [JAG]Teabag »

interesting what you say... I didnt know this, so i checked it out sort of...
maybe someone can correct me if they understand better but this is what i think i discovered.

I checked my UnrealTournament.ini at this setting. so see what mine said.

Code: Select all

[Engine.Player]
ConfiguredInternetSpeed=20000
ConfiguredLanSpeed=20000
next I changed in preferences my internet connection type, (it was set to LAN)
so i changed it to 28.8-56k modem, the following happens...

[Engine.Player]
ConfiguredInternetSpeed=2600
ConfiguredLanSpeed=20000
So in conclusion yes you are altering the internet connection if you alter the TOP line!
the other is your preset for LAN which will not effect anything from the net...

BUT you may think you have done your self a favour... not so!
if you look closer in your UnrealTournament.ini you will also notice another section

[IpDrv.TcpNetDriver]
AllowDownloads=True
ConnectionTimeout=15.0
InitialConnectTimeout=300.0
AckTimeout=1.0
KeepAliveTime=0.2
MaxClientRate=20000  <---------------------------looks like it controls your speed also
so unless you alter this one also "I belive" you have actually done very little to improve anything...
..Image
Shade
Site Admin
Personal rank: Founder of UT99.org

Post by Shade »

Just tested quickly, it seems the downloads are a bit faster now. But im not sure...
UT99.org Discord Server: https://discord.gg/6CP2UjZ
UT Server Browser: https://ut99.org/servers
brdempsey69
Average
Personal rank: Ex Marine

Post by brdempsey69 »

The MaxClientRate under the header [IpDrv.TcpNetDriver] is how much data the server will send to any client. It is a server configuration. It only affects the data that any client can draw from that server. For example, I have my server set to MaxClientRate=10000 that means any client connecting to my server can draw no more than 10 KB per second. I usually set it to this and combine it with a tickrate of 35 next to the lines NetServerMaxTickRate= as well as the LanServerMaxTickRate= line. This does not affect how fast they can download from a re-direct server sending maps, textures, etc. That depends on the available bandwidth that the re-direct offers.

The configured internet & Lan speeds under [Engine.Player] would allow for a faster download from a re-direct server sending files to you, but you are limited by the actual server setting during gameplay depending on what MaxClientrate the server has set under the [IpDrv.TcpNetDriver] header.

Hit your F6 key next time you connect to a server to see your NetStat settings.
[JAG]Teabag
Skilled
Personal rank: Clan Server Admin

Post by [JAG]Teabag »

thanks for clearing it up further than my findings, i knew there was limitations, as i recall seeing the settings in the server ini which i knew must limit the client.
as for downloading from the redirects it stands to reason thats dependant on bandwidth avaliable from the host.
..Image
newlykilled
Novice
Personal rank: .00

Post by newlykilled »

no no no not on any FN servers or any other ladder servers ,,,,, you will find your self with a slap on the hand the first time, band forf along time for and time after that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and

for the record 20,000 is the high est you should use or you are cheeting,,,,!!!
Hook
Inhuman
Personal rank: UT99 Promoter/Admin

Post by Hook »

The highest any player uses is about 7000 (according to Epic) - so no point in setting it higher. :wink:
And yep the MaxClientRate of the server limits players to the rate the server sets. :)
=Hook=(Member# 626)
HUTP Active Forums: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/forum
HUTP UT99 Community Portal: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/
OR: https://hermskii.com/hook/ut99_hutp/
UT99 Server -> CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM}

* Newest Versions of: PRO-Redeemers | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemers | PRO-SEEKER-Redeemers <-(the Original)
and Now with FOOD FIGHT and Frying Pan arena !!!
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777 <-(NEW IP to come)
UT99 MH Server -> {CMH} CROSSBONES Monster Hunt (MH) by Mars007 (The Original) - IP: 108.61.238.93:7777
anth
Adept

Post by anth »

brdempsey69 wrote:The MaxClientRate under the header [IpDrv.TcpNetDriver] is how much data the server will send to any client. It is a server configuration. It only affects the data that any client can draw from that server. For example, I have my server set to MaxClientRate=10000 that means any client connecting to my server can draw no more than 10 KB per second. I usually set it to this and combine it with a tickrate of 35 next to the lines NetServerMaxTickRate= as well as the LanServerMaxTickRate= line. This does not affect how fast they can download from a re-direct server sending maps, textures, etc. That depends on the available bandwidth that the re-direct offers.

The configured internet & Lan speeds under [Engine.Player] would allow for a faster download from a re-direct server sending files to you, but you are limited by the actual server setting during gameplay depending on what MaxClientrate the server has set under the [IpDrv.TcpNetDriver] header.

Hit your F6 key next time you connect to a server to see your NetStat settings.
That is not true. Your netspeed only affects the combined maximum speed of UChannels (meaning the control, file and actorchannels). It does not affect your download speed from redirect servers in any way since downloads from redirect servers go through a direct Tcp Link, not a UChannel. Also, bear in mind that almost no server will have the MaxClientRate set higher than 20000. MaxClientRate is the serverside setting that controls the maximum combined UChannel speed. And last but not least: setting your netspeed higher than 20000 will allow your game to tick at 20000/64 = 312.5 ticks/second. During every tick a frame is rendered. For many reasons (one is most likely the fact that epic uses the fpu's fast math mode), the game breaks horribly once you go above 180-200 ticks/second. So if you do set your netspeed higher than 20k, be sure to cap your framerate lower than 180 using the UTGLR renderers.
Hook
Inhuman
Personal rank: UT99 Promoter/Admin

Post by Hook »

brdempsey69 wrote:For example, I have my server set to MaxClientRate=10000 that means any client connecting to my server can draw no more than 10 KB per second. I usually set it to this and combine it with a tickrate of 35 next to the lines NetServerMaxTickRate= as well as the LanServerMaxTickRate= line.
Again...(FYI)
The highest any player uses (draws) is about 7000 (according to Epic and other sources) - so no point in setting it higher. :wink: (though it won't hurt either) :tu:
And yep the MaxClientRate of the server limits players to the rate the SERVER sets. :)

Also, The TickRate should be left alone at the stock settings!
I believe they are...
NetServerMaxTickRate=20
LanServerMaxTickRate=35
These are the Extensively Researched settings that the game developer found for Maximum Playability for all weapons, etc., in UT99.
Any other settings can mess up the timing of several weapons, and etc.! (can't remember all of the messed up stuff) LOL :lol:
I did a lot of research into this a few years ago, and most of the articles I read Concur with this.
There are a few exceptions to this, but are only weapon/situation specific and not good for most servers/players.
=Hook=(Member# 626)
HUTP Active Forums: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/forum
HUTP UT99 Community Portal: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/
OR: https://hermskii.com/hook/ut99_hutp/
UT99 Server -> CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM}

* Newest Versions of: PRO-Redeemers | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemers | PRO-SEEKER-Redeemers <-(the Original)
and Now with FOOD FIGHT and Frying Pan arena !!!
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777 <-(NEW IP to come)
UT99 MH Server -> {CMH} CROSSBONES Monster Hunt (MH) by Mars007 (The Original) - IP: 108.61.238.93:7777
n][c][o
Average
Personal rank: New generation

Post by n][c][o »

Hook wrote:I did a lot of research into this a few years ago, and most of the articles I read Concur with this.
Wow :) Uhm.. can I ask, what kind of articles you were looking for? Or where?
I'm quite interested in this topic and I'd like understand it more, but I have almost no idea, where to find some articles about it.. :(
Thanks for advice :tu:
nicio
gopostal

Post by gopostal »

If I were you, I'd contact Schlong at House of Fools:
http://www.hofgamingclan.com/

Schlong did some really extensive digging into MaxTickRate and he explains it well. There are some forums posts about it though you might have to register to see them. PM him and tell him you were chatting with gopostal and I sent you his way. He will hook you up with more information than you'll need.
n][c][o
Average
Personal rank: New generation

Post by n][c][o »

gopostal wrote:If I were you, I'd contact Schlong at House of Fools
Oh, thanks a lot for this offer, but I would rather contact him when I will have some concrete questions to ask.
Now I would just waste his precious time.. :|

I was rather interested in some topic-related articles or discussions to gain some basic overview of the topic at first..
nicio
anth
Adept

Post by anth »

This is TNSe's article about the serverside TickRate:
http://wiki.unrealadmin.org/Netspeed_Tutorial_%28UT%29

It was written quite a while back.