Reguarding the URender::DrawWorld anomaly Crash...

Get some cool tips about how to tweak your UT graphic, gameplay, and much more!
UTNerd24
Adept
Personal rank: Professional Camper

Reguarding the URender::DrawWorld anomaly Crash...

Post by UTNerd24 »

Out of all the reasons UT can crash, this one diagnosis, even today, mystifies me. Yes I understand its mainly because of an over-abundance of dynamic lighting at once, but It only happens SOMETIMES on SOME MAPS. Some maps are so sensitive that I can only play it legitimately by turning dynamic lighting OFF.

But then on other maps... I can do stuff like this:

gnU-jy0YXrI

So what exactly is it? Is it Engine related? Map Related? I need more information about this so I can prevent it from happening in the future.
I've been playing UT for so long it's practically tradition.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Reguarding the URender::DrawWorld anomaly Crash...

Post by papercoffee »

Texture and lighting related?
UTNerd24
Adept

Post by UTNerd24 »

papercoffee wrote:Texture and lighting related?
Ok I will admit that the guess of Lighting is a bit of a no-brainer, But the thing with Textures... I've played through the EXU2 Campaign WITH S3TC and not experienced one crash.
Theres gotta be more to it...
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

UTNerd24 wrote: Theres gotta be more to it...
Each time you get one of these crashes, you need to look at your UT.log as this will give you more info and usually pinpoint what has caused the crash. It will normally be a combination of things like textures, meshes, lighting etc - for example, I got these crashes in only certain maps using the CSSWeapons heavy machine gun and the log indicated that the problem was in the MG's mesh - solution = not to play with that particular MG.

Also search this forum as there are a couple of discussions about this issue.
UTNerd24
Adept

Post by UTNerd24 »

Well to be brutally honest, my most recent play was in a deliberatly destructive matter just to make the error show up.

Heres the log:

Code: Select all

XC_Engine: Setting up collision octree [Level Hook] for EXU2-G59-13-Verflucht
Log: Game class is 'EXU2Game'
Log: Level is Level EXU2-G59-13-Verflucht.MyLevel
XC_Engine: Bringing Level EXU2-G59-13-Verflucht.MyLevel up for play (200)...
XC_Engine: Engine function replacements done (0.000113 second)
XC_Engine: Conditional function replacements loaded (0.059300 second)
ScriptLog: InitGame: ?Game=EXU2BI.EXU2Game?Difficulty=3?Mutator=UTToolbox.ShowDamage,EXU.EXU2JumpDamageFix,EXU.BotmatchScriptedPawnFix,UTToolbox.CustomizeAmmo,UTToolbox.CustomizeDamage?Name=UTNerd24?Class=BotPack.TMale1?Team=1?skin=CommandoSkins.goth?Face=CommandoSkins.Malakai?Voice=BotPack.VoiceMaleTwo?OverrideClass=
ScriptLog: Base Mutator is EXU2-G59-13-Verflucht.EXU2GlobalSettings2
ScriptLog: Mutators UTToolbox.ShowDamage,EXU.EXU2JumpDamageFix,EXU.BotmatchScriptedPawnFix,UTToolbox.CustomizeAmmo,UTToolbox.CustomizeDamage
ScriptLog: Add mutator UTToolbox.ShowDamage
ScriptLog: Add mutator EXU.EXU2JumpDamageFix
ScriptLog: Add mutator EXU.BotmatchScriptedPawnFix
ScriptLog: Add mutator UTToolbox.CustomizeAmmo
ScriptLog: Add mutator UTToolbox.CustomizeDamage
ScriptLog: Lord Naberius is kickin' yo ass right nah
Init: Initialized moving brush tracker for Level EXU2-G59-13-Verflucht.MyLevel
Log: Spawning new actor for Viewport WindowsViewport0
ScriptLog: Team 1
ScriptLog: Login: UTNerd24
Log: Possessed PlayerPawn: TMale1 EXU2-G59-13-Verflucht.TMale4
ScriptLog: All Inventory from UTNerd24 is accepted, whatever the hell that means
Warning: ALAudio: alureBufferDataFromMemory failed: Unsupported type
ScriptWarning: RMusic_Player Entry.RMusic_Player0 (Function RMusicPlayer.RMusic_Player.Tick:0066) Accessed None
ScriptWarning: RMusic_Player Entry.RMusic_Player0 (Function RMusicPlayer.RMusic_Player.Tick:006E) Accessed None
ScriptWarning: RMusic_Player Entry.RMusic_Player0 (Function RMusicPlayer.RMusic_Player.Tick:0076) Accessed None
ScriptWarning: RMusic_Player Entry.RMusic_Player0 (Function RMusicPlayer.RMusic_Player.Tick:007E) Accessed None
DevMusic: ALAudio: Transiting to null, SongSection 0 with MTRAN 3
DevMusic: RegisterMusic null
Log: ALAudio: playing null  (ModPlug Tracker 1.16 IT 1.00)
AdvancedSpawnerSystemMasterControl: EXU2-G59-13-Verflucht.ASSMasterControl0 < < <     All 4 ASSControllers are powered up; my work here is done. >:E    > > >
ScriptLog: Fabricate agonix.bfg10k500 by UTNerd24: SUCCESS (agonix.)
ScriptWarning: BFG10k500 EXU2-G59-13-Verflucht.BFG10k1 (Function agonix.NeoBeamRifle.RateSelf:0061) Accessed None
ScriptWarning: BFG10k500 EXU2-G59-13-Verflucht.BFG10k1 (Function agonix.NeoBeamRifle.RateSelf:0061) Accessed None
DevMusic: ALAudio: Transiting to null, SongSection 0 with MTRAN 4
" "
DevMusic: ALAudio: Unregister music: Music RMusicPlayer.null
DevMusic: RegisterMusic null
" "
Log: ALAudio: playing null  (ModPlug Tracker 1.16 IT 1.00)
" "
Critical: URender::ClipBspSurf
Critical: URender::OccludeBsp
Critical: URender::OccludeFrame
Log: URender::DrawWorld anomaly
ScriptWarning: BFG10k500 EXU2-G59-13-Verflucht.BFG10k2 (Function agonix.NeoBeamRifle.RateSelf:0061) Accessed None
" "
ScriptWarning: BFG10k500 EXU2-G59-13-Verflucht.BFG10k2 (Function agonix.NeoBeamRifle.RateSelf:0061) Accessed None
" "
" "
" "
" "
" "
" "
" "
" "
Critical: UObject::StaticFindObject
Critical: FNameBatchMap::Request
Critical: CreateActor
Critical: UXC_Level::SpawnActor
Critical: (EXUKetchupSpurt)
Critical: UObject::ProcessEvent
Critical: (BFGWave EXU2-G59-13-Verflucht.BFGWave4, Function agonix.BFGWave.Tick)
Critical: AActor::Tick
Critical: TickAllActors
Critical: ULevel::Tick
Critical: (NetMode=0)
Critical: TickLevel
Critical: UGameEngine::Tick
Critical: UXC_GameEngine::Tick
Critical: UpdateWorld
Critical: MainLoop
Exit: Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
Exit: Executing UWindowsClient::ShutdownAfterError
DevMusic: ALAudio: Unregister music: Music RMusicPlayer.null
Critical: UALAudioSubsystem::ShutdownAfterError
Critical: (Initialized=1,EffectsExtensionLoaded=1)
Exit: Double fault in object ShutdownAfterError
Log: DirectDraw End Mode
Exit: UD3D9RenderDevice::ShutdownAfterError
Exit: Double fault in object manager ShutdownAfterError
Exit: Exiting.
The " " Indicates when the above lines begin repeating.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Looks like there is a problem with the BFG10k500 and that the crash is to do with

Code: Select all

Critical: (EXUKetchupSpurt)
Critical: UObject::ProcessEvent
Critical: (BFGWave EXU2-G59-13-Verflucht.BFGWave4, Function agonix.BFGWave.Tick)

But I may be wrong. Someone with greater knowledge may be able to give you more and better advice.

So you need to look for a pattern in the crashes - is it always this that appears to cause the crash or is it always different?

As an aside, if you want to avoid huge logs with multiple repeated identical lines, you can use Higor's MiniLauncher.exe which truncates the log giving the first line of any script warning etc and indicates how many times this is repeated. I've founded that it significanlty reduces the size of the log.
UTNerd24
Adept

Post by UTNerd24 »

OjitroC wrote:Looks like there is a problem with the BFG10k500 and that the crash is to do with
(code)
But I may be wrong. Someone with greater knowledge may be able to give you more and better advice.

So you need to look for a pattern in the crashes - is it always this that appears to cause the crash or is it always different?

As an aside, if you want to avoid huge logs with multiple repeated identical lines, you can use Higor's MiniLauncher.exe which truncates the log giving the first line of any script warning etc and indicates how many times this is repeated. I've founded that it significanlty reduces the size of the log.
Not sure, But Thanks for the tip. Next time it happens, I'll give you a log, even if it means bumping this thread from deep below others.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

What I meant with "textures and lighting" ...Big scaled textures tend to have problems with lighting because the light-map is also scaled. But I don't know how this coheres with active-lighting from weapon effects. Maybe I'm wrong.
But you mentioned that it would only happen in certain maps. If you can reproduce this crash and remember where this effect happened in this map check this area in the Editor and look for big plane and humongous stretched textures.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

So it is probably the interaction of texture, lighting and weapon effects, at least that's what the log suggests?
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Post by nogardilaref »

It's the dynamic light brightness.
From a certain value and up, it will eventually crash the engine just like it happened with you (Brightness=255 is a crash fest).

A value of 100 for example is completely safe.
Why does it happen? I don't know, I may only guess: perhaps it overflows at times so 127 might be the max safe value? :noidea