black texture in dm-rotor][

Get some cool tips about how to tweak your UT graphic, gameplay, and much more!
darksonny
Adept

black texture in dm-rotor][

Post by darksonny »

Hi all
Im not sure if this is the correct section to post this issue, I have a dm ut map called roto2][ made by Gints"Juno"Apinis, this map plays nice and does it have an interesting layout for dm, but I found a strange issue with a sort of shaped lift with a texture that are black, I tried to change renderer driver to latest d3dr and opengl and no success to quit that dark texture.

I tried to get in contact with author via email but it seems his email is nowadays valid or missing so I cannot ask him for a fixed version (the lift it does work perfectly anyway but its ugly with that blackened texture). Is there any workaround to fix this?

see the attached photo
dm-roto2black.jpg
Loose Cannon
Skilled

Re: black texture in dm-rotor][

Post by Loose Cannon »

Hi,

I found the map. Just open it up in the editor. Right click on that elevator mover and go to "mover" -> "Show Polys". Then click anywhere on the surface and hit shift+B to select all surfaces. Then right click and go to surface properties and check the "unlit" box...rebuild and you should be good to go, but with the original builders permission :tu:
darksonny
Adept

Post by darksonny »

Thanks loose thats the problem i cannot modify without permission (really could not be as "true" changes as said, there would not but...) cos his email is deleted or inactive so you cant anymore get in contact with author
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

If you consider to edit this map, don't forget to rename it to prevent mismatches.
darksonny
Adept

Post by darksonny »

papercoffee wrote:If you consider to edit this map, don't forget to rename it to prevent mismatches.
Are you referring to renaming the map once its edited (with proper original credits obviously...)?
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

darksonny wrote:
papercoffee wrote:If you consider to edit this map, don't forget to rename it to prevent mismatches.
Are you referring to renaming the map once its edited (with proper original credits obviously...)?
Yes. :wink:
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I dropped an eye there. I saw what a Bot did with Translocator trying to gain Invisibility...Image
Mover has to be placed OUT of void in keyframe 1 while geometry is build else it won't get lightning, and I think it was wrong set bDynamicLightMover. If a big part of it is in void will take the light from void which means BLACK/DARK.
For patching this Level it would be needed some time and client stuff as well... for that light problem. In run-time mover can be good because an attached light makes it pretty well visible (tested with ripper).

Note: some map has author "Gints "subz`" Apinis" and this one is signed Juno - Is he the same guy ?
darksonny
Adept

Post by darksonny »

sektor2111 wrote:...

Note: some map has author "Gints "subz`" Apinis" and this one is signed Juno - Is he the same guy ?
Yes its the same author...

Well, I not an expert mapmaker so, following the instructions from Loose and keeping in mind papercoffee's suggestion here is the fixed version. The readme is updated only putting important info for the fix and author (if someday reads this, the email does not exist anymore, so please if you read this, get in contact with me, thanks!), rest is kinda the same except the bug part where it explains which bug its noticed in this map). And of course changed the namemap to avoiding confusion.
DM-Rotor][_ver2.0.zip
(1.22 MiB) Downloaded 44 times
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Little feed back about original and listing borks here:
- if we have route from JumpSpot to a higher located LiftExit that is "Impossible-To-Follow-Route" Epic never did such things, map is full of such borks and results are randomly visible;
- 2 miniammo are happily vaporized when door to Shield is open because are pushed outta Level - a jerk player might also keep door locked if mover is not turned into a crusher one by some NICE Mutator - that door has to be open DOWN in void and not UP for destroying ammo - KeyFrame1 is changed;
- Combo for Invisibility is ONLY ONE and adjusted - way down is automated - other such dumb combos have been removed being useless buggers;
- Brush159 is too slanted - it slows down even player - I have adjusted it for being more friendly with navigation;
- new paths are available for that lost RocketPack nearby UDamage making A.I. more convinced about navigation in that zone;
- Big-Black lift needs faces from void Unlit and not a bDynamicLightMover;
- DistanceViewTriggers - LOL ? - 40×40 Collision - Does any of these have any purpose ? - deleted because are 99% useless.

All new Paths Network has been build with XC_Core9 more optimized (as tested a few days ago...) without useless PrunedPaths[0-15] and VisNoReachPaths[0-15] - being a DM map perhaps aerial routes are not necessary.

The question is: How many of these are fixed in above fixed-map ?

Thanks so far for pointing this map, it has a nice game play. :tu: