UAX file editing

Get some cool tips about how to tweak your UT graphic, gameplay, and much more!
heniuslaw
Novice

UAX file editing

Post by heniuslaw »

I'm making a joke mod and want to replace sounds in a UAX files. I used PostED (postal 2 level editor, but I think it doesn't make a difference) and opened the UAX file. I extracted a sound to check the codec and bitrate with VLC and using audacity with FFmpeg I made a sound with the same codec, bitrate, and other bullshit I tried to import it to the UAX it does nothing, but when trying to import the sound I extracted it works. what the heck am I supposed to do?
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: UAX file editing

Post by papercoffee »

I hope I misread it... you add/edit sounds in an existing UAX file, maybe even a stock file?
rjmno1
Masterful
Personal rank: masterfull
Location: https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home

Post by rjmno1 »

papercoffee wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:46 pm I hope I misread it... you add/edit sounds in an existing UAX file, maybe even a stock file?
You can export the file to another format in the unrealed and reconfigure the file you need
You can edit with the sound browser export the file with the sound browser to another format and import again also with the sound browser.
You can import a wav file and export it to another file type.
in short you can import and export from within wav file.

So you can do the folowing you can import a files but first you must edit the file while its a wav file.
Remember all uax files are looped also, so in other words you must loop the wave file and make the sound ready before configuring and import into the sound browser from unrealed.
------------------------------------------------------------
@papercoffee

I just dont know if there is a program who support uax files.
he must make a loop from that file while its wav and then import again.
Almost all files from uax file system are configured as a loop, because the sound is very short.
He may not add some house music top 40 music because its forbidden.
Last edited by rjmno1 on Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:05 pm, edited 5 times in total.
unreal tournament 99
®
ImageImage
https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home mine home ut99 website.
https://richardmoust105.blogspot.com/20 ... ef-in.html dutch blog page about ut99 settings.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

rjmno1 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:54 pm You can export the file to another format in the unrealed and reconfigure the file you need
You can edit with the sound browser export the file with the sound browser to another format and import again also with the sound browser.
You can import a wav file and export it to another file type.
in short you can import and export from within wav file.
Please reread my post... or use a better translator.
I was asking OP if he edits original UT files.
heniuslaw
Novice

Post by heniuslaw »

papercoffee wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:46 pm I hope I misread it... you add/edit sounds in an existing UAX file, maybe even a stock file?
Yes that's what I'm doing, I ain't a modding expert so I'm guessing I'm doing it wrong.

-MERGED-
papercoffee wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:58 pm I was asking OP if he edits original UT files.
I'm editing Postal 2 UAX files but searching I found someone that said this site will help because the files are the same (or something similar I don't remember)
Last edited by papercoffee on Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Double Posts
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Please avoid Double Posts within a 24 limit. We allow our member to Edit their posts.

Because of the edit of default files:
You don't edit UT stock, files you create a new UAX and implement it into UT.
heniuslaw
Novice

Post by heniuslaw »

how do I do it? I can only open and save UAX files and in the UAX files I can delete, export or import sounds that come from other uax files.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

As you were showing: IMPORT EXPORT exactly from image which you posted. By screwing stock you'll get mismatch rejections when you will forget what you did previously with your game by changing files. Is that even needed ?
If you want a modified sound it will be required exporting it into a wav file, editing that file and reimporting it into other uax. If your goal is having other sounds in game you will need to conform new file with original stock, but you still might get kicks ON-Line in ACE servers.
Else sounds that have to be re-imported must have the same format like those extracted. I used sounds collected from Internet but converted into the same format as UT is exporting, and added into Mylevel from map.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

heniuslaw wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:30 pm I tried to import it to the UAX it does nothing, but when trying to import the sound I extracted it works. what the heck am I supposed to do?
Presumably you are trying to import a .wav file? If PostED has a log then have a look at that and see if it indicates the source of the import error. The problem could be with the name you have given the .wav file you have created or with the length/name of the path to it.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

I am guessing this audio package will be for use in Postal 2, not UT99, so people can stop panicking about UT miss-matches.
UEd for Postal 2 is based upon UT2003 UEd 3.
I'm not sure how easy it is to simply replace an existing sample but did you delete the sample in the pack before importing ?

The concerns raised earlier about file miss-matches will be a problem in P2.
You will not be able to connect to each other unless all installations of the game have been "updated". They will then no longer be able to connect to any regular servers.
If this is for an offline game no problem.
Deepu
Adept
Personal rank: Average

Post by Deepu »

Edit: You need a sound editing software like Nero Wave Editor, jetaudio or format factory any sound editor. Open with editor then save to 16/8 bit mono 16000 hz to 44100 hz as a .wav file.

Thanks Dr.flay
Last edited by Deepu on Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Deepu wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:18 am Any audio file that convert to .wav .mp3 or .flac then download Open MPT software for Windows then drag the converted file into Open MPT save the file as .it .xm format. Finally import to Unreal Editior and test.
You are mixing UMX music files with UAX sound files.