Issues with Sound Browser in UE2.

Get some cool tips about how to tweak your UT graphic, gameplay, and much more!
RandomIndividual
Novice

Issues with Sound Browser in UE2.

Post by RandomIndividual »

I individually export every wav. file from the Announcer.uax into a custom folder (cd1, cd10, cd1min, etc.), replace them all with my own created sounds, making sure the names are identical. I successfully import every new sound into the browser, overwriting the others, and they all play in the editor. However, when I try to save it as the new Announcer.uax file and then play the game or restart the editor, all of the original sounds are back. It also appears to create a file next to it in the Sounds folder called "Announc".

Notably, some sound files such as "Congratulations, you're the winner!", etc., don't appear in my Announcer.uax.

:noidea

I'm using the UT99: GOTY edition from Steam on Windows 10, and the editor appears to be version 2.0.

I'd appreciate any help. Please bear in mind that I don't have too much experience with deep modding.

Thank you kindly for reading.
UT Sniper (SJA94)
Inhuman
Personal rank: Retard

Re: Issues with Sound Browser in UE2.

Post by UT Sniper (SJA94) »

You have to load the .uax file through the browser, it only loads the sounds that are needed for the .u files. You'll get the extra multi kills as well, tripple, mega and some others that are used.

You have to do this while importing sounds as well, otherwise the packages will be mismatched via having less files then they should.
RandomIndividual
Novice

UT Sniper (SJA94) wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:32 pm You have to load the .uax file through the browser, it only loads the sounds that are needed for the .u files. You'll get the extra multi kills as well, tripple, mega and some others that are used.

You have to do this while importing sounds as well, otherwise the packages will be mismatched via having less files then they should.
Hello, thanks for responding. I opened the sound browser in UE2, clicked "open package", and then selected the Announcer.uax file. Is that the right process or am I doing it wrong? It's still the same.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

RandomIndividual wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:22 pmIt also appears to create a file next to it in the Sounds folder called "Announc".
That looks to me like a too long path. What is the complete filename? (Something like C:\Program Files\Games\Old\but\Nice\Unreal\Unreal Tournament\Sounds\Announcer.uax)

For the concept: Never change a stock package!
RandomIndividual wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:22 pmNotably, some sound files such as "Congratulations, you're the winner!", etc., don't appear in my Announcer.uax.
It is "Winner" (see pic).
Attachments
Announcer.jpg
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
RandomIndividual
Novice

Barbie wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:56 pm
RandomIndividual wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:22 pmIt also appears to create a file next to it in the Sounds folder called "Announc".
That looks to me like a too long path. What is the complete filename? (Something like C:\Program Files\Games\Old\but\Nice\Unreal\Unreal Tournament\Sounds\Announcer.uax)

For the concept: Never change a stock package!
RandomIndividual wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:22 pmNotably, some sound files such as "Congratulations, you're the winner!", etc., don't appear in my Announcer.uax.
It is "Winner" (see pic).
You were right about the long path. I also read that I had to render created sounds in low quality (mono) using my software.

I temporarily moved Unreal Tournament into my user folder, opened UE2, selected "File/Open/Announcer.uax" in the Sound Browser (with all of the internal sounds appearing as they hadn't before), imported my sounds and saved it as the Announcer.uax.

After I overwrote the original Announcer.uax in the Steam directory with my new one, I went into the game and it worked. :thuup:

Thank you very much.