How to install a stable UT99 game?

Get some cool tips about how to tweak your UT graphic, gameplay, and much more!
jerymon
Novice

Re: How to install a stable UT99 game?

Post by jerymon »

Dr.Flay wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:44 pm No, buying the complete Unreal collection wont solve anything. The GoG version is the GOTY version (minus the second CD)

OMP-UT-V0.2 is not the newer build in the list at the OldUnreal site. Oldest files at the top, newest at the bottom.
You want the OMP0.99b-UT436-UT451

Note, the choice of renderer is down to what GFX hardware you have, not what a server is running.
For ATI and intel use DirectX, and for nVidia use OpenGL.

Did you install the final DirectX 9 distro ? If not you are missing HW support for DX9 and lower.
Patch 451 was not finished and is intended for severs not clients, but as long as you don't need to use the editor it shouldn't be a problem.
So should I install the GOG GOTY and then patch it with OMP0.99b-UT436-UT451? (where do I find this?) Then I need the "final DirectX 9 distro"? Again where can this be had?

--- MERGED ---
Do not double post within 24h! Use the edit button instead!

So your suggesting to install the GOTY from GOG.com and then apply the "OMP0.99b-UT436-UT451" patch? (where can this be found?) Then install the "final DirectX 9 distro"? (location/link?)

GOG.com has support suggestions I have followed in the past for "Stability iussues". Should I ignore those for now?
https://support.gog.com/hc/en-us/articl ... roduct=gog
Last edited by Metalfist on Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No double posting within 24h!
Que
Inhuman
Personal rank: ...

Post by Que »

esnesi wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:51 pm
451(b) is for servers.
I thought 451b was also for clients with fixed Unreal editor.
*Join our Discord Here.*
Our mods - MVX , SSB , SmartWFL , UTCmds , BotCommands , Smart Stats , join/leave announcer , NoSmoke , UTLogin , BrightSkins , Server Tran…
*Our Servers
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

The later renderers are as I said listed at the OldUnreal site. The same place the older 0.2 version is listed
https://www.oldunreal.com/utpatches.html

The Microsoft Direct X 9 installer is available from...... Microsoft
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... aspx?id=35

Most of your questions have already been answered here over the years. The search function works well and there is a dedicated thread on the topic
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12927
Shrimp
Adept

Post by Shrimp »

Have you run any other games? That would at least help to eliminate the hardware aspect.

If the CPU is running 47 to 58 degrees at idle or on the desktop not doing much, that does sound a bit hot. If those are your temperatures while running another game or benchmark or something, then that's excellent and heat is not an issue.

You could also try changing the renderer to software, to eliminate 3D drivers and D3D versions from the equation.
ShrimpWorks
Unreal Archive - preserving over 25 years of user-created content for the Unreal series!
jerymon
Novice

Post by jerymon »

Thank you Dr Flay, I will do the research.

Shrimp, that was not at idle that was at regular use of the system not game play. I do have other games and have never experienced any issues with them. Currently they are not installed on the system. I did a complete reinstall of the OS about a month ago and haven't reinstalled them yet. I guess I'll do that this weekend and see what happens.

Thank you to all who have replied.
Custer
Novice

Post by Custer »

OjitroC wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:35 pm I may be completely wrong but the nature of the problem (blank/coloured screen followed by a system crash and reboot) suggests the heart of the issue lies outside UT and possibly with the system itself.
This was my initial thought - a hardware issue that's causing a thermal shutdown. I'd expect an issue with UT to cause a GPF or blue-screen, rather than a complete reboot.

Is it possible to play the game windowed and just run a monitor to see what stress it causes? I suspect possibly a lower-than-expected voltage to the CPU or GPU could be weathered under normal load but as soon as there's a peak it;s sufficient to trip something (inspired by :

FWIW, I had a similar issue some years ago - PC glitching out under load. I was urged by a workmate to pop out and reseat all the RAM, PCI cards, AGP cards (yeah, it was some years ago) and try again... and never encountered the glitch again. I can only conclude that something wasn't seated properly, but was seated enough to initially behave as expected. Annoying I never found the underlying cause, but pleased it seemed to have vanished.
jerymon
Novice

Post by jerymon »

Custer wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:13 pm
OjitroC wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:35 pm I may be completely wrong but the nature of the problem (blank/coloured screen followed by a system crash and reboot) suggests the heart of the issue lies outside UT and possibly with the system itself.
This was my initial thought - a hardware issue that's causing a thermal shutdown. I'd expect an issue with UT to cause a GPF or blue-screen, rather than a complete reboot.

Is it possible to play the game windowed and just run a monitor to see what stress it causes? I suspect possibly a lower-than-expected voltage to the CPU or GPU could be weathered under normal load but as soon as there's a peak it;s sufficient to trip something.
Looks like you could be on to something here. I checked the event viewer and found the following error,
Fatal hardware error
Fatal hardware error
RocketJedi
Inhuman
Personal rank: I.T Master

Post by RocketJedi »

CPU is running hot and/or has a problem.
https://www.vulpinemission.com
Image ROCKET-X8 Server
Image MONSTERHUNT w/ NALI WEAPONS 3 + RX8
Image BUNNYTRACK NY
Image SNIPER DEATHMATCH
Image InstaGib + ComboGib + Jailbreak
Image ROSEBUM ROCKET-X RB
jerymon
Novice

Post by jerymon »

RocketJedi wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:54 pm CPU is running hot and/or has a problem.
If 49 - 59 c. is considered hot then maybe so but I don't think that's the issue.
anth
Adept

Post by anth »

Custer
Novice

Post by Custer »

jerymon wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:41 pm If 49 - 59 c. is considered hot then maybe so but I don't think that's the issue.
What's considered hot for one CPU is considered warm for another.

I had a PC that bleeped when the temperature went over a specific threshold, and several times I shut it down in a panic. Then I read the CPU specs and it seemed the processor could go up to a good 70deg or so, and I'd set the alarm thresholds in the BIOS too low.

A quick search shows that a Ryzen 5 3600 can operate at 33 idle and up to 80 under load (see also https://www.quora.com/Is-a-Ryzen-5-3600 ... -load-safe) so your temps don't look anything extreme.

Curiously, you mentioned 10 mins and an hour. If you boot from cold, do you get an hour of play in before the problem - then after that every 10 mins? That may indicate a thermal issue (possibly not the CPU) as you're using still-warm kit for the retries.

I'd also suggest - if possible - swapping out mem sticks to see if the problem occurs with a specific one.
RocketJedi
Inhuman
Personal rank: I.T Master

Post by RocketJedi »

Custer wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:19 pm
jerymon wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:41 pm If 49 - 59 c. is considered hot then maybe so but I don't think that's the issue.
What's considered hot for one CPU is considered warm for another.

I had a PC that bleeped when the temperature went over a specific threshold, and several times I shut it down in a panic. Then I read the CPU specs and it seemed the processor could go up to a good 70deg or so, and I'd set the alarm thresholds in the BIOS too low.

A quick search shows that a Ryzen 5 3600 can operate at 33 idle and up to 80 under load (see also https://www.quora.com/Is-a-Ryzen-5-3600 ... -load-safe) so your temps don't look anything extreme.

Curiously, you mentioned 10 mins and an hour. If you boot from cold, do you get an hour of play in before the problem - then after that every 10 mins? That may indicate a thermal issue (possibly not the CPU) as you're using still-warm kit for the retries.

I'd also suggest - if possible - swapping out mem sticks to see if the problem occurs with a specific one.
IMO if idle temps are above normal then load temps will also be above normal.
https://www.vulpinemission.com
Image ROCKET-X8 Server
Image MONSTERHUNT w/ NALI WEAPONS 3 + RX8
Image BUNNYTRACK NY
Image SNIPER DEATHMATCH
Image InstaGib + ComboGib + Jailbreak
Image ROSEBUM ROCKET-X RB
Metalfist
Masterful
Personal rank: ^,..,^ rawr

Post by Metalfist »

Seems that Hierarchy error is happening often with Ryzen. Someone said they solved it by going back a driver version for amd/radeon.
Im running 20.1.2. Its been rock solid for months.
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/thre ... st-4381874
Then he tested out 20.4.2, which seems to work a bit better.
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/thre ... st-4423150
You could try rolling back to 20.4.2. or try out the other solutions mentioned in that thread.
jerymon
Novice

Post by jerymon »

Metalfist wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:46 am Seems that Hierarchy error is happening often with Ryzen. Someone said they solved it by going back a driver version for amd/radeon.
Im running 20.1.2. Its been rock solid for months.
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/thre ... st-4381874
Then he tested out 20.4.2, which seems to work a bit better.
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/thre ... st-4423150
You could try rolling back to 20.4.2. or try out the other solutions mentioned in that thread.
I've tried numerious versions of MSI's GPU drivers, Chipset updates & everything else. The most stable version I've had was 5.?.2020 (it only comes out once a month and i don't remember the day :D ).

I have NEVER had it do it unless I was playing UT99 and that game is not stressing out the system IMO.
jerymon
Novice

Post by jerymon »

I have been playing for a week now and have not had a single crash since reinstalling the game. I think the difference is the suggestion of installing the game with the power opton set to maximum and also installing the multi core fix file. It's the only difference that I made from previous installs. Kudos to the team for all the work they do to update this game.