Texture Palettes?

Get some cool tips about how to tweak your UT graphic, gameplay, and much more!
Peamole
Average
Personal rank: Dinghy-O-Death Cap'n

Texture Palettes?

Post by Peamole »

I kind of know what texture palettes are but I can't seem to find these long, horizontal images in the texture browser. Are they coded or something, to make them invisible?
Can someone please explain how to use them?
Barbie
Godlike

Re: Texture Pallets?

Post by Barbie »

Maybe you mean the Wood textures of Nalicast.utx?
Attachments
Nalicast.Panel.jpg
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Buggie
Godlike

Re: Texture Palettes?

Post by Buggie »

Try open Palletes.utx
scr_1641442957.png
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

Peamole wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:40 pm I kind of know what texture palettes are but I can't seem to find these long, horizontal images in the texture browser. Are they coded or something, to make them invisible?
Can someone please explain how to use them?
Palettes are not displayed in the Texture browser, they are auto-generated when importing a texture which has no indexed colors, you can import one with indexed colors and its palette will be imported too. If you want to display a palette in the Texture browser as a horizontal or vertical series of colors then you need to make the texture yourself. A texture can be 1x1 pixels and still have multiple colors in the palette.
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
Peamole
Average
Personal rank: Dinghy-O-Death Cap'n

Post by Peamole »

Thanks, everyone. Sorry for the late reply.
I was making bmp textures in mspaint, to be used as masked textures. When I imported them to UEd, UEd would create this jpeg-esq blur into the black parts, rendering the textures opaque again wherever it wasn't perfectly black. Do I need to make and import a pcx file? How do I clean this mess from my masked textures?