Fixing corrupt sounds and textures.

Get some cool tips about how to tweak your UT graphic, gameplay, and much more!
Phorce
Experienced
Personal rank: Sgt. Nutz

Fixing corrupt sounds and textures.

Post by Phorce »

I had a crash ...

---------------------------
Critical Error
Assertion failed: Playing.Channel [File:C:\UTDev\Galaxy\Src\UnGalaxy.cpp] [Line: 1250] History: StartSample <- UpdateSounds <- UGalaxyAudioSubsystem::Update <- UGameEngine::Draw <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- ClientTick <- UGameEngine::Tick <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop
OK

I think I have some corrupt sounds as at least one of them is just a hissing sound when I'm sure it should be something else. Sometimes a particular skin appears all screwed up as well, although I don't know which one it is yet.

Is there a way to check for corrupt files ? I have few utils but none that I have do this.
"Weapons! ... for all occasions." Bill Hicks
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Re: Fixing corrupt sounds and textures.

Post by Feralidragon »

I have a screwed UT like that (just still there since most my resources are there, and I like to laugh a little with that install). When I released my first weapon pack, and when it was hosted by a friendly public server, some effects didn't appear, the explosions were all messed up, and most sounds where replaced by Unreal screams (how freaky is that?), but only client side (my side).

That usually happens when you have already too much mods installed, and they start to mess with eachothers out, and messing with the UT original files as well. I don't think you have corrupt texture files or sounds, I think the problem is worse, I think the problem is in the engine itself, I think the engine and other system files are the bad guys there.

Only solutions: you can reinstall UT over that one, it usually works, but if you have already too many mods installed, then install a total new one somewhere else in your HD.
Phorce
Experienced

Post by Phorce »

Ah. Thanks. So a general cleanup and removal of unnecessary mods may help the problem. I really want to avoid a fresh install. As you guessed correctly ... I have a lot installed ! Voicepaks, models, you name it. I want to make a youtube vid cus my gameplay is pretty unique I think. I might make a separate install as well as my main one for things like SP maps and other mods that don't need all the bits and pieces in there.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Phorce wrote:Ah. Thanks. So a general cleanup and removal of unnecessary mods may help the problem. I really want to avoid a fresh install. As you guessed correctly ... I have a lot installed ! Voicepaks, models, you name it. I want to make a youtube vid cus my gameplay is pretty unique I think. I might make a separate install as well as my main one for things like SP maps and other mods that don't need all the bits and pieces in there.
You don't need to remove any mod, what I sugested was to reinstall UT over the old one, it works (it also worked for me with UT2004).
But a cleanup also helps too indeed, but now only that won't solve the problem, only a reinstall will solve all the issues.
Phorce
Experienced

Post by Phorce »

Oh, I've got it. The original files have to be unchanged :) Thanks :mrgreen:.
kratos
Personal rank: Mapper - Skinner

Post by kratos »

omg thx alot this is just what i need cuz i haved some deals with a map sound and always crashed..
tryed everything but never though about that :s

thx!
LucienRavenwood
Novice
Personal rank: StuffSwapper

Post by LucienRavenwood »

For corrupt textures you can try the console command "flush". It's worked for me.
Phorce
Experienced

Post by Phorce »

Ah. To clear a texture cache ? Makes sense. I was in Infiltration today and a face texture was corrupted in the player setup. In game one's were ok. I will try this. Thanks.