Setting up UT on new hardware

Get some cool tips about how to tweak your UT graphic, gameplay, and much more!
Torturia
Novice
Personal rank: Frustrating to Gods

Setting up UT on new hardware

Post by Torturia »

So far this thread will help with:

UT too dark with opengl as the rendering device
UT running too fast
UT not running/not running well on multi-core (further down in following posts)
UT has 'skating' players while online (further down in following posts)
UT doesn't properly exit from memory (leaves a process running)

Hello All,

DARKNESS FIX
If you need help fixing UT's original Opengl's darkness or supersonic speed (on some newer systems), read on and be helped :tu:

I am using Opengl 3.4 from http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/ choose the first download ''utglr34.zip'' 111kb.
(or you can get it on this site @ http://www.ut99.org/download/44/ :oops: )

*IMPORTANT* Now go into your unrealtournament/system folder and
rename opengldrv.dll to old-opengldrv.dll.

Extract the new opengldrv.dll and copy it into the unrealtournament/system folder.

The only pain in Butt was to have to type in all the changes to unrealtournament.ini [OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice] section, since theres no separate text file download for that.

The settings page http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/settings.html
has all the line entries to add to the ini. If the forums will allow it I'll add my ini to this post :)

TOO FAST FIX
FrameRateLimit allows you to set the maximum FPS, this cured the supersonic speed. I set mine to 85, but play with it to suit your tastes :)

Tweak away and frag ya latah!

-Tort
Last edited by Torturia on Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:44 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Myth
Inhuman
Personal rank: Low Poly Freak

Re: Setting up UT on new hardware

Post by Myth »

The super fast running is because of your D2C. There should be a patch or something from intel which let's you play older games.
Torturia
Novice

Post by Torturia »

Thanks for your input Myth, so far these methods I've posted seem to help alot. I don't know if there is an intel patch, but I did hear something regarding turning off speedstepping and powersaving stuff in XP. (not going near vista)

Here's another link to an official update to the UT opengldrv.dll:
http://www.adies.net/ut_dwl_opgl.php

They even include instructions on the page and a text file in the zipfile with the lines that you need to replace in unrealtournament.ini :gj:

Its an older version but seems a bit more solid than the 3.4 in my first post.

Its easy enough to try both. All you have to do is rename the opengldrv.dll to an appropriate name so you don't get them mixed up ( like: opengldrv.old, opengldrv2.old for the official updated version and opengldrv.34 for the 3.4 opengl version). You can do the same for each version of the unrealtournament.ini file (unrealtournament.old, unrealtournament2.old and unrealtournament.34). This will allow you to experiment :rock:

-Tort
LiQuidFire
Average

Post by LiQuidFire »

I hear UT99 has problems with dual/quad-core processors. How do you fix this?
Is there a patch?
Shade
Site Admin
Personal rank: Founder of UT99.org

Post by Shade »

Problems with Dual Core? O.o

I think i have the best of luck, I use Vista with a Dual Core and had never problems with UT! :lol:
RocketJedi
Inhuman
Personal rank: I.T Master

Post by RocketJedi »

here is the patch that fixes the dual core quad core issue.

http://www.ut-files.com/Utilities/Dual_Core_UT_Fix.zip

make a back up of your old unrealtournament.exe or rename it
just copy and paste the file in this zip into your system folder and voila!

i know Ive said the reliability of ut-files is touchy this file def works ;)
https://www.vulpinemission.com
Image ROCKET-X8 Server
Image MONSTERHUNT w/ NALI WEAPONS 3 + RX8
Image BUNNYTRACK NY
Image SNIPER DEATHMATCH
Image InstaGib + ComboGib + Jailbreak
Image ROSEBUM ROCKET-X RB
dstefan

Post by dstefan »

Thank You for the opengl link and info on C2D :)
Rosco[CoF]
Average
Personal rank: Badges?

Post by Rosco[CoF] »

The patch for older games actually comes from Microsoft. What it does is syncs both cores while playing a game, essentially making the game "think" of it as a single core. You can get it from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

A way to check that is was installed properly is to cjeck your boot.ini file
Right click on My Computer, go to Properties, select the Advanced tab and click on the Startup and Recovery settings button. On System Startup there will be a Edit button, "To edit the startup options file manually" and this will open up your boot.ini in a text editor. At the very end you should see this:

/usepmtimer

This will sync the dual cores. I'm not sure if Intel offers one, but I do know that AMD also offers a dual core optimizer patch.
Consoles are schwag.
UptheMiddle
Novice

Post by UptheMiddle »

Yes, both of these tips saved the day for me!! Recently I had the itch to play UT99, couldn't find the discs, purchased the Unreal Anthology ($15 on Amazon for Unreal, UT, Unreal II, UT2K4....best video game value for any system), just to find that it wouldn't work properly on my C2D system. So, many thanks to both of you as well as Shade1990 for this great new site and some modest 'advertising' over in the Unreal Playgrounds forum.

:gj: :tu:
Torturia
Novice

Post by Torturia »

I'm glad to hear people are already getting some assists here :) The more players we get online the better :D
I tried the C2D patch (from UT-Files) and it made all the online players skate around and their bodies wouldn't fall after dieing. They'd be standing corpses which made it hard to distinguish who was who, lol. So after switching back to the original unrealtournament.exe everything seems fine.

One unusual problem I'm having is that the game's process doesn't end after I exit the game.
Its kind of a pain because you have to stop the process in task manager before you can run it again. :?: Has anyone else had this problem and/or solved it? Thanks!

-Tort
RocketJedi
Inhuman
Personal rank: I.T Master

Post by RocketJedi »

Torturia wrote:I'm glad to hear people are already getting some assists here :) The more players we get online the better :D
I tried the C2D patch (from UT-Files) and it made all the online players skate around and their bodies wouldn't fall after dieing. They'd be standing corpses which made it hard to distinguish who was who, lol. So after switching back to the original unrealtournament.exe everything seems fine.

One unusual problem I'm having is that the game's process doesn't end after I exit the game.
Its kind of a pain because you have to stop the process in task manager before you can run it again. :?: Has anyone else had this problem and/or solved it? Thanks!

-Tort
I used to have that issue with my ati card. changing my renderer fixed it .. hope that helps :)
https://www.vulpinemission.com
Image ROCKET-X8 Server
Image MONSTERHUNT w/ NALI WEAPONS 3 + RX8
Image BUNNYTRACK NY
Image SNIPER DEATHMATCH
Image InstaGib + ComboGib + Jailbreak
Image ROSEBUM ROCKET-X RB
Torturia
Novice

Post by Torturia »

Qwerty wrote:
Torturia wrote:I'm glad to hear people are already getting some assists here :) The more players we get online the better :D

-Tort
I used to have that issue with my ati card. changing my renderer fixed it .. hope that helps :)
'SKATING' PLAYERS FIX
::UPDATE::
I fixed my 'skating' players in online games finally! It was not the C2D patch, but the S3TC textures I had installed from the 2nd GOTY CD. There is a fix for this. There are a few steps, but they're all pretty easy. Here is the link I used: http://gla.soth.sk/?pg=s3tc
It is very well done and easy to follow. Just make sure you pay attention to each step. :tu:

I'll do another update after I try the C2D patch again and I'll also try the Microsoft solution. The more we get back in the game the better! I'm also going to add this site as a 'cool link' in my Yahoo profile (intentsly is my screen name there) :)

:UPDATE:
UT DOESN'T EXIT FULLY FIX
The issue is UT leaves a process running after you exit the game and it causes havoc, because you can't run UT again and other programs won't seem to function properly.
This appears to be caused by having compatibility mode enabled for unrealtournament.exe, with/without CPU affinity set to core 0 (in a multicore system).
Once I disabled compatibility mode, I had no left over process to kill in Task Manager :) Yeehaw!

-Tort
odin

Post by odin »

nice thx
Raynor
Adept

Post by Raynor »

When UT is too dark and you're an ATI videocard user then it is very likely a long-time known driver bug that SEEMS to be fixed with latest Catalyst 8.3 and 8.4 (at least for me).
iniquix

Post by iniquix »