Pipe cuts through waterfall ("water" special'd sheet)?

Get some cool tips about how to tweak your UT graphic, gameplay, and much more!
Emandion
Average

Pipe cuts through waterfall ("water" special'd sheet)?

Post by Emandion »

Okay, granted, the title sucks and doesn't exactly explain what I need very well, so here's some screenshots and a better explanation of what I need..

Basically I have the three pipes pouring out sludge.. Unfortunately when I try to add the waterfalls (which are just a sheet with a panning texture, unless someone else has a better way?) the pipe behind "cuts through" the sheet and looks, well.. Very wrong.

Also they seem to just cut from behind (is that a BSP cut? Or is it only BSP when it cuts out of the map? Not sure...)

Is there any way to stop this? I tried making the pipe ends semi-solids instead of solids, but that didn't seem to work either..

Screenshot: http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/1125/factoryr.png
rohitggarg
Adept
Personal rank: The name is Bu||et

Re: Pipe cuts through waterfall ("water" special'd sheet)?

Post by rohitggarg »

M not a real expert at this but still...

Did you try a half cylinder instead. A half cylinder and above it will be a quarter cylinder then the half cylinder again goes inside the tunnel. Coz when water falls out of a tunnel it gives a half cylinder kind of effect. The flat end will be towards the tunnel edge and rounded shape will be towards the play area.
Regards,
Rohit

CATCH ME IF YOU CAN.............

My website : http://www.appointmentagent.com
Emandion
Average

Post by Emandion »

Sorry I'm not following you here..

See the way I think this problem works is because other brushes take priority over sheets, that's the best way I could describe it? (Although admittedly I have absolutely no clue if there's any priority factor at hand here..)

I think what you're saying is build the pipe exit in more than one piece. I doubt that would work. The only reason you're seeing half the cylinder cut through is because - well, take a closer look - it's only cutting through the waterfall - there's nothing else it would cut through because there's nothing else on its edge.
rohitggarg
Adept

Post by rohitggarg »

What i think...

The problem is with the bottom-right image. Its not showing the sheet correctly if i am not wrong ...

If you could send that section of the map i would be able to suggest better and look into the problem more closely :|
Regards,
Rohit

Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Any additive mass brushes (cube, cylinder) will always be over sheets, is this way the engine works, simple as that.

That's why when doing trims for example, people always use mass brushes (mostly edited cubes) and not sheets.
So either you make a slightly bigger "in-pipe liquid" brush, and then add a sheet with more 1uu from the pipes, otherwise you will always get that effect, no matter if it's solid or semi-solid.
Emandion
Average

Post by Emandion »

Ah, I figured it would be, I just sorta hoped there was another way. Thanks. I've just dried them up and not have it flowing. The effect still looks okay.

Pics in the screenshot thread if you want to see it lol
rohitggarg
Adept

Post by rohitggarg »

:gj: But still .... an active factory would have been gr8... I would suggest you shouldn't stop the sludge. It was looking awesome in the previous shot.
Regards,
Rohit

Emandion
Average

Post by Emandion »

I wouldn't remove it if you weren't able to walk close to it
But having to move it a unit out, you'd be able to notice that when you were up close and it's look strange
zacman
Adept
Personal rank: M-M-M-MONSTER KILL

Post by zacman »

WAIT!
I've fixed this issue before in one of my maps! I can send you the brush, if you want... It involves making the waterfall a normal brush, creating a prefab, and adding it as Water.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198048595886]Image[/url]
Emandion
Average

Post by Emandion »

Well I've already released CTF-Bloodmetal without it.. I edited it so you could get inside the pipes instead and use them as a combat route. That kept them there, but made them functional instead of just another design

HOWEVER.. If you can uploaded the prefab/advise on how to create an identical/similar, I WILL indeed keep it in mind for future projects.. And I'm sure as hell I won't be the only one benefiting from that one.
zacman
Adept

Post by zacman »

Okay, sure :) Gimme a minute...
zacman
Adept

Post by zacman »

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=f570 ... 6e282a0ee8

NOTE: The Prefab was not designed for a full-fledged waterfall, hence it's ugliness. I made it so I could create a Fountain with the Chizra Face Mesh for an ancient temple. Extend it as far as you want, add mist at the bottom, ad add it as a WATER brush. Works Perfectly. Looks ugly as hell alone, but it looks real good once you've attatched it to a pipe or w/e...