Viewing weapon/item strings (tutorial)

Get some cool tips about how to tweak your UT graphic, gameplay, and much more!
LucienRavenwood
Novice
Personal rank: StuffSwapper

Viewing weapon/item strings (tutorial)

Post by LucienRavenwood »

Yes, I figured this one out too. :ironic:
It's a little vague, but jesus christ... after manually sifting through .u files, this is a much easier method.

1.Run UT and start a practice session with the weapons/items you want. If the mod has its own game type or mutator, use that. If it's a standalone application (like UnrealFortress.exe), use that.

2.Bring up the console and enter "obj list class". It will give you a list of all objects in the level. You'll have to sort through them yourself and judge which ones belong to the mod.

You'll also need the package name, which is very easy to get. This is the .u file that came with the mod. So if it were Badlands.u you would type "summon badlands.tomahawk" - badlands being the package and tomahawk the item string. If it doesn't work at first, try a different package.
zacman
Adept
Personal rank: M-M-M-MONSTER KILL

Re: Viewing weapon/item strings (tutorial)

Post by zacman »

Some things have wierd ass bugs that stops them being summoned, so not everything can be. E.G-no matter what I try, my SantaBag won't summon, but the Pickup will.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198048595886]Image[/url]
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

zacman wrote:Some things have wierd ass bugs that stops them being summoned, so not everything can be. E.G-no matter what I try, my SantaBag won't summon, but the Pickup will.
Try summoning it in ghost mode. Btw, what's the SantaBag (class), a projectile?
zacman
Adept
Personal rank: M-M-M-MONSTER KILL

Post by zacman »

It's a Gasbag.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198048595886]Image[/url]
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

zacman wrote:It's a Gasbag.
Oh, then it's explained then. So like I said, spawn them in ghost mode and in the air. Why this happens? Well, because when you summon them, they collide with you or with the world, and they simply can't, so they don't spawn in those cases.
So to avoid that, "ghost" mode to fly and disable your own collision, then summon it, then "walk" again.
LucienRavenwood
Novice
Personal rank: StuffSwapper

Post by LucienRavenwood »

[quote=Adept]Some things have wierd ass bugs that stops them being summoned, so not everything can be. E.G-no matter what I try, my SantaBag won't summon, but the Pickup will.[/quote]

You're right about that. When I summon UNF's napalm grenade, I didn't even notice it was there until I paused actors. Even then, it was a useless solid model that couldn't be picked up. :pfff: