Proper Dodging

Get some cool tips about how to tweak your UT graphic, gameplay, and much more!
d0om3D
Novice

Proper Dodging

Post by d0om3D »

I keep trying to understand how you can increase your in game speed by dodging and turning you mouse, similar to strafing in quake. The UT bible confused me a bit and im wondering if anyone has a video or a good description of how to do it.
Shadow
Masterful
Personal rank: Mad Carpenter

Re: Proper Dodging

Post by Shadow »

Dodging is quite simple :)
Taking your direction keys (WASD or Arrow Keys) rapidly pressing them two times will move you into the direction with a huge fast leap
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Although you can achieve more distant places with side dodging, rather with the others (at least that's what I always saw in BT).
Dare
Inhuman
Personal rank: UT99 God

Post by Dare »

If you ever try playing on a BT server (BunnyTracks) then you will be able to spectate other people dodging all over the place. Dodging can be used to get to places you couldnt get to by simply jumping or running, you can dodge across gaps and up ramps.

You can dodge by tapping and on the directional keys twice but there are techniques to make you dodge further as you will learn if you try playing on a BT server.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

medor wrote::tu: Image
Sergeant Todd
Adept
Personal rank: Retired Jedi

Post by Sergeant Todd »

Shadow wrote:Dodging is quite simple :)
Ha ha..Shadow...you know someone needs to remind me of that, the next time I'm in the middle of a firefight in some warehouse, and I dodge right into a crate, or dodge left off the side of a building, or (fill in the blanks), et cetera. Dodging is truly an artform.

Bottom line:

Dodging in narrow cramped spaces = tough
dodging in the open = much easier :D
Sergeant Todd
---------------

"I miss Olmos & BG, as a matter of frak'd!"
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

medor wrote::tu: Image
I used dodging as avoiding method only.
can I bind the dodge somehow to a key. :?:
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

medor wrote:Yes you can bind it but i don't remember how to. :shock:

I remember it isn't easy to use ... so it's beast to do this by natural way. GL HF :tu:
Myth
Inhuman
Personal rank: Low Poly Freak

Post by Myth »

In quake you have strafing, strafe jumping, circle jumping and you can build up a lot of speed if you got the skills.
In ut99 you only have dodging. and that hard and illegal bouncing.
Medor demonstrated how side dodging works. Dodging against angled walls, ramps will launch you even further. Just go and play some BT. This is used on almost all BT maps.

To get to more even more areas you can use rocket, shock, hammer jumps. You can even combine them both. On some DM maps that came whit the original game this is used to get those out of reach power ups on turbine.

Whit bouncing you can build up amazing speed just like in quake, but it's extremely hard to do it, unless you're on ice. When you land after a jump you decelerate. You bounce if you jump before you decelerate thus adding up to your speed. Some maps contain slippery areas and it's easier to do it on those maps. Some BT maps need you to bounce if you want to finish it.