"split-screen" in Unreal Engine 1 games

Get some cool tips about how to tweak your UT graphic, gameplay, and much more!
djesiret

Re: "split-screen" in Unreal Engine 1 games

Post by djesiret »

Thank you so much. Worked like charm. I needed this. Been looking for a great 4 player old school fix.

Working on all current renderers. Using openGl, older ver. Using two ds4's, a ds3, kb/m. The 4 player all joystick open opens a 2nd copy of player 2's exe but doesn't snap to position and crashes. Oh well, guess I'll have to take kb/m. :highfive:

ATI users on open GL, edit player1.ini 2, 3, 4, 5, etc brightness=.70 or else too dark. All copies must be edited, or every copy resets brightness.

Bound some SPEECH command for taunts for right thumbstick and d-pad.

Custom models and voicepack work, just make sure you forward ports :lol2:
Snipa

Post by Snipa »

It's now working for me when I don't use keyboard & mouse on the other players, just Player 1. I set up a LAN game on Player 1 and from the other players screens, I just join with the Start-button on the controllers without trying to skip the intro.
If I create a LAN game/dedicated server from the original System folder and using controllers for all four players, I've the same problem with Player 4 window not snap to position, but It's working for Player 4 in windowed mode. I can drag & drop it to correct position in the left corner, but then it has borders.
Thanks again!
Instinctlol

Post by Instinctlol »

Hey Guys I fixed the issue with windows not snapping right when selecting 4 players with controllers. You can download the fully fixed script via the attachment. Thanks to Mochu for creating the initial script.

And here is how you can fix the initial script yourself (just for documentation purposes, you don't need to follow these steps, just download the attachment instead):

1. Download Resource Hacker
  • Rightclick 'Split-Screen Launcher.exe' -> select 'Open using Resource Hacker'
  • Open 'RCData'
  • Open '>AHK WITH ICON<'
  • Scroll all the way down to Line 219 and replace

Code: Select all

WinWait,  Player4
    with

WinWait,  Player5
  • Compile the script (Press 'F5' or press the green play button)
  • Save (Press 'CTRL + S' or press the disk)
  • Close Resource Hacker, deinstall if you want
  • You may notice a new file next to your 'Split-Screen Launcher.exe', which is called 'Split-Screen Launcher_original.exe', you are free to delete this
2. Open 'Player5.int' inside the 'System-5nd' folder with notepad
  • Go to the very last line, replace

Product=Player2
    with

Product=Player5
  • Save, exit
3. Start 'Split-Screen Launcher.exe', use it intuitively
Attachments
Split-Screen mod.7z
(884.44 KiB) Downloaded 152 times
SPLITSCREEN_UT99

Post by SPLITSCREEN_UT99 »

Hi,
Thanks a lot for all your work on this mod.
I only have two questions.
The first is that not all of the players have crosshairs and HUDs when i initiate a game.
The second revolves around playing the game with 4 controllers I cant figure this out to save my life.
Once again thank you for this and any help on these matters is greatly appreciated.
makemeunreal
Masterful

Post by makemeunreal »

You should post this on other forums as well. It would reach more players!
Even on Facebook groups.

NICE WORK!
:gj: :gj: :gj: :gj: :gj: :gj: :gj:
Mochu
Novice
Personal rank: noob

Post by Mochu »

Thx a lot for all your support thats means a lot to me :) i've been working on this for some time now and only just recently (like 1 year ago) figure out how to play with 3 other players. Right now some private life stuff has taken my priority ... that's the reason for not responding this whole time.

Back to questions by SPLITSCREEN_UT99
1. I think there's something wrong with your inis in players folders. And if i'm not mistaken we can change HUD settings in Options -> Preferences . Or just use those from new release :)
2. Thers was an issue with launcher , sry for not fixing it sooner

Hope this new release will be fine :) i've tried to test it as much as i can , if there are some new issues please let me know i will try to help as much as i can.

Have a nice and friendly gaming session :D

ps.If someone is interested in inis for for Unreal , Unreal Return to Napali and Rune Gold. I can upload them so u can enjoy those games as well :)
Attachments
Split-Screen mod 2.01.7z
(849.66 KiB) Downloaded 248 times
Instinctlol

Post by Instinctlol »

If you're wondering how to play with (lets say 4) controllers, here's how to do it:
  • Start UT99 normally, create a new server, configure it to your liking (maps and so on)
  • Host it as a dedicated server
  • When you finally start the server, your game will exit, don't worry, the server is running in the background (check your task manager)
  • Start the launcher, configure it to your liking, launch it
  • When all the windows appeared: press Start and you will join your dedicated server
  • To close the server, just kill it via task manager
I think it only works with Xbox (360 & One) controllers, though. So if you don't have a Xbox controller, try x360ce (360 controller emulator)
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Could you post a screenshot? I'm really curious how this looks on a monitor/TV. Is it playable?
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Mochu
Novice

Post by Mochu »

JackGriffin wrote:Could you post a screenshot? I'm really curious how this looks on a monitor/TV. Is it playable?
You can find screenshots uploaded by me on first and second page of this topic
Instinctlol wrote:If you're wondering how to play with (lets say 4) controllers, here's how to do it:
  • Start UT99 normally, create a new server, configure it to your liking (maps and so on)
  • Host it as a dedicated server
  • When you finally start the server, your game will exit, don't worry, the server is running in the background (check your task manager)
  • Start the launcher, configure it to your liking, launch it
  • When all the windows appeared: press Start and you will join your dedicated server
  • To close the server, just kill it via task manager
I think it only works with Xbox (360 & One) controllers, though. So if you don't have a Xbox controller, try x360ce (360 controller emulator)
That's one way to do it, when i was creating this my assumption was that the first player will be the server
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Mochu wrote: You can find screenshots uploaded by me on first and second page of this topic
Derp.

Well, that's way better than I thought it would look. That's actually quite playable.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Mochu
Novice

Post by Mochu »

JackGriffin wrote:
Mochu wrote: You can find screenshots uploaded by me on first and second page of this topic
Derp.

Well, that's way better than I thought it would look. That's actually quite playable.

well it's basically regular UT99 running 4 times on single PC , the trick was to automatically position all windows and hide them shell
Mochu
Novice

Post by Mochu »

I know that this isn't the forum for that but... i manage to do this same thing with ut2k4, and i think that this will be possible to do on any UE2 game.
Attachments
UT2k4 slit-screen.png
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Mochu wrote:...and i think that this will be possible to do on any UE2 game.
UT2k4 is a UE2 game.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

papercoffee wrote:
Mochu wrote:...and i think that this will be possible to do on any UE2 game.
UT2k4 is a UE2 game.
I think he knows its a UE2 game and just said that he thinks he can do this on other UE2 games. :noidea
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

UnrealGGecko wrote: I think he knows its a UE2 game and just said that he thinks he can do this on other UE2 games. :noidea
oh ...ok